Why the Cowboys should stay with Dak, they can't draft one better

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Ok I will post a link to an article , and read that and then tell me if this is something you can see the jones boys
doing as well as the chiefs did.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/...-patrick-mahomes-how-chiefs-outmaneuvered-nfl
They had a decent QB, but liked the scouting report on mahomes, and the owner gm and HC all thought
he would be a elite type franchise qb.
I doubt they knew he would be as good as he has been, but they saw enough to want him badly.
only 3 other teams were interested in mahomes. And the cowboys were not interested at all, even though
mahomes played in their state ! at texas tech.
Dak had just had his good rookie season, so the cowboys and jones boys did not even bother to analyze
that drafts qb's.
Had they done that it is possible dallas could have had mahomes.
Many teams could have had him including Buffalo, who traded KC the # 10 pick which landed mahomes.
Buffalo evidently did not think much of mahomes either lol.

The experts initially had mahomes as a 2nd day pick !! They only revised that when KC and the other 3 teams
were known to be looking for him in round 1.

But read the article then think about if you can see jerry and his boy first identifying a great prospect,
then going after him and actually planning to get him , not in top five but at # 10 !
Could they identify a guy who was not anointed by experts to be a top 5 pick, but who can be a top nfl qb?

I dont think they can, and really this is the kind of thing where you have to look at all the qb's each year
and wait till the year that has that one outstanding prospect.

It does not work as well if you just choose 1 year to get a qb, then take the one of that year you think is the best one. The true best one might be in the next draft or the one after that.

Aside from 2 old guys, brady and Fitz, there are no FA significantly better than dak , so that leaves drafting one, which I just dont think the jones boys can hit on a guy who again is significantly better than dak .

Now for the dak haters, lol there is other options, get brady or fitz, maybe bridgewater, but they
would have to sign for 25 mil or less. With this you only save 10 mil lol.

Or draft a guy who is about the same as dak, and then you have him for 4 years on a rookie deal
which is cheaper, and if he is as good as dak, and as durable, then that is an option that
I dont have a problem with.

The only catch there is can the jones boys or MM , whoever is doing the selection , can they get one as good as dak?

The downside of that is the qb is as good and cheaper, but you used a # 1 pick on qb, and not on the defense, which some say is where the high picks should be used.

And some will say we can do better than dak in later rounds, but I dont think so, again they would
have to identify the right guy , and it gets harder once out of the 1st round, and there may not be one in the later rounds, who is actually as good or better than dak, and with dak you have to factor
in his durability which is a big plus.

Look at wentz, he could be better, but he is always getting hurt, 4 years and has only played in one playoff game, and got knocked out early in that one lol.

So in closing it is easy to say dak is not good enough , not worth the money, but at same time it is not
so easy to find and get a better qb. and really drafting a rookie is the only cheap way.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
u may be right or wrong, but this type of thought process is why teams end up paying huge money to avg/above avg quarterbacks and suffer for it.
We don’t retain and over pay other positions that we can possibly get close to replacing in draft. Why QB??

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
3o6szq.gif
https://imgflip.com/gif-maker

glimmerman

Reaction score
I would rather spend the money on a short term deal with Dak. (It’s what Dak and his agent wants).. Then throw away our draft this year and maybe picks from next years on a player that hasn’t proved anything or played a down in the NFL. If you get brady or another vet QB then it’s a short term thing.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Soon we'll need to replace the O-line. Doesn't matter who the QB is. The time is now. Sign Prescott.

Reactions: CWR

pansophy

Reaction score
u may be right or wrong, but this type of thought process is why teams end up paying huge money to avg/above avg quarterbacks and suffer for it.
I mean I think Dak will ultimately prove worth the money, if one can ever justify paying that much for 1 player. In the salary cap era one has to wonder how much you can really pay 1 guy, so while it may be true that we can't draft a guy as good as Dak we might be better as a team by spreading the money to other positions.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
Hmm.

Let’s take a look at the 2016 Kansas City Chiefs. Alex Smith was the starting QB. At the end of 2016, they’re season came to an end. The Chiefs had a choice. Overpay Smith, or take a shot at the draft. They drafted Mahomes and kept Smith for another year. Smith failed to step up to the plate, hence why he ended up in washington. The same fate should lie with Dak. Tag him and draft a rookie, or just let him go if he decides to hold out. This is getting ridiculous. Is every single Cowboy going to do this holdout stuff? If the rookie is successful? Great, ride with him and let Dak go. We’ll have a cheap rookie QB that can do just as much, if not better than Dak. If the rookie fails, do him like the Cardinals did Rosen. Trade him and try again. We don’t have time to stick with Dak for 6 years. Players will begin to age.

BlueStar22

Reaction score
You can win with above average...Above average is not doo doo.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
The real question is why is this team so bad at evaluating college QB's?

Where is the disconnect? Romo was undrafted and a suggestion by Peyton.
Dak was like the 4th or 5th choice and the team tried to trade for a guy who ended up a true loser.
Shoot... Jerry was openly heartbroken he couldn't get the trade for that guy!

What is their problem?

Adreme

Reaction score
The real question is why is this team so bad at evaluating college QB's?

Where is the disconnect? Romo was undrafted and a suggestion by Peyton.
Dak was like the 4th or 5th choice and the team tried to trade for a guy who ended up a true loser.
Shoot... Jerry was openly heartbroken he couldn't get the trade for that guy!

What is their problem?

I mean its not just the Cowboys. 2 years ago 5 teams drafted a QB in round 1 and it looks like the 5th one is the only one who is any good. 3 years ago the Bears decided Mitch was better than Mahomes. Marcus Mariotta and Jaemeis Winston were 1st round picks and before them Paxton Lynch, Johnny Manzeil, Teddy Bridgewater, and Blake Bortals and the year before them it was EJ Manuel.

Basically drafting a QB is hard and the fact that there can be THIS many 1st round failiures is why teams pay big when they even hit an average stater because otherwise you spend draft capitals and years trying to find one.

Corso

Reaction score
I mean its not just the Cowboys. 2 years ago 5 teams drafted a QB in round 1 and it looks like the 5th one is the only one who is any good. 3 years ago the Bears decided Mitch was better than Mahomes. Marcus Mariotta and Jaemeis Winston were 1st round picks and before them Paxton Lynch, Johnny Manzeil, Teddy Bridgewater, and Blake Bortals and the year before them it was EJ Manuel.

Basically drafting a QB is hard and the fact that there can be THIS many 1st round failiures is why teams pay big when they even hit an average stater because otherwise you spend draft capitals and years trying to find one.
Don't tell @CATCH17 such things.
He'll destroy you.
At least... I think he will.

I agree with you! So there's that.

Corso

Reaction score

Oh! And welcome to the fold!
I look forward to reading your thoughts.

CWR

Reaction score
https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/...ick-mahomes-in-the-2017-nfl-draft-have-fared/

This shows the players other teams thought was a better pick than mahomes, chicago blew it bigtime!

More often than not these big name college qbs flop. Its risky business drafting a qb early. There are teams that haven't had a stud qb since the 90s lol. Miami's last productive qb was Marino, I guess Tannehill deserves mention, but they blew that one. Prior to Josh Allen the Bills had Jim Kelly. If Mayfield hits he will be the Browns first qb since Bernie Kosar. Who was the Jets last good qb an aging Brett Favre? The Bengals had Andy Dalton and before him who, Boomer? Jags had Brunell but since then who? You mentioned the Bears does it really go back as far as McMahon? It feels like Im missing some qbs in between for those franchises, but I cant think who.

Seriously crazy how some teams are perpetually looking for a franchise qb. It is by far the most important and difficult to aquire position in all of professional sports. A guy like Mahomes will have the Chiefs in contention for the next decade.

CWR

Reaction score
I mean I think Dak will ultimately prove worth the money, if one can ever justify paying that much for 1 player. In the salary cap era one has to wonder how much you can really pay 1 guy, so while it may be true that we can't draft a guy as good as Dak we might be better as a team by spreading the money to other positions.

There has to be a minimum skill level at the position that a team can win with. I dont think we can afford to get much worse at QB and still be competitive, even if we ramp up in other areas.