Why the Cowboys should stay with Dak, they can't draft one better

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Of course, that goes without saying. But you weren’t happy with having Dak as QB. Now you are saying take another cheap QB and build a more talented team. An approach you have already demonstrated you aren’t happy with. Why would you feel it would be acceptable now but not the previous 4 years?
And when I say cheaper QB I don’t necessarily mean lesser QB. There could be someone in FA that could produce more in this offense than they have in the offenses they’ve been in.

Take Tannehill for example. Looked much better in Titans offense than Dolphins. Wonder what he’d look like with this offense. We definitely could sign him for less. That’s just one example.

And the draft could be another source. Sometimes don’t know what you have until you see first hand.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
And when I say cheaper QB I don’t necessarily mean lesser QB. There could be someone in FA that could produce more in this offense than they have in the offenses they’ve been in.

Take Tannehill for example. Looked much better in Titans offense than Dolphins. Wonder what he’d look like with this offense. We definitely could sign him for less. That’s just one example.

And the draft could be another source. Sometimes don’t know what you have until you see first hand.
Dak made $1 million last year. The cost for even a crappier QB is probably going to go up significantly unless you draft another low round QB and roll the dice there.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So money has nothing to do with it? You just don’t want Dak and that’s Ok. Just don’t see why Dak haters try to act like money is an issue here. You’ve hated him from day 1, don't switch now and act like a contact is now factoring in as to why you don’t want him as QB. The contract situation might turn some supporters into haters, but haters didn’t even like Dak at $465k a year. They just need to own that.
That’s not true. I liked Dak from the beginning. It wasn’t until later I begun doubting.

The contract is not only reason but it definitely provides more concerns. I felt we had a better shot with him in Rookie salary. We’ve already seen what he is without all of the supporting cast.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
That’s not true. I liked Dak from the beginning. It wasn’t until later I begun doubting.

The contract is not only reason but it definitely provides more concerns. I felt we had a better shot with him in Rookie salary. We’ve already seen what he is without all of the supporting cast.
Yeah, I am going to call BS. You were upset at Jerry for not doing more to move up and take Paxton Lynch in the first round.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Dak made $1 million last year. The cost for even a crappier QB is probably going to go up significantly unless you draft another low round QB and roll the dice there.
I’d pay Dak in the mid 20 million range. I wouldn’t offer him 30to 40. Cause we need to sign Cooper and others too.

If you dont you are saying we expect Dak to be more than a bus driver elevating others around him carrying the team.

But I agree with the Franchise Tag. Let’s give Fat Mikey one year with him. Then maybe we’ll know more before committing.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yeah, I am going to call BS. You were upset at Jerry for not doing more to move up and take Paxton Lynch in the first round.
That was before what we saw we had with Dak. A great 4th round pick.

And my argument with Lynch was I didn’t think Jerry actually made a true attempt for him. There was a couple others I wanted too.

Dak was the backup QB we had always needed. The mistake we made was not putting Romo back in.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I’d pay Dak in the mid 20 million range. I wouldn’t offer him 30to 40. Cause we need to sign Cooper and others too.

If you dont you are saying we expect Dak to be more than a bus driver elevating others around him carrying the team.

But I agree with the Franchise Tag. Let’s give Fat Mikey one year with him. Then maybe we’ll know more before committing.
This is what I don’t understand. You didn’t want him at $1 million per year because he needed too much help. Why would you advocate for paying him 20 times that amount now?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This is what I don’t understand. You didn’t want him at $1 million per year because he needed too much help. Why would you advocate for paying him 20 times that amount now?
Because I’m assuming we want him. If we must keep him that’s what I’d offer.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
That was before what we saw we had with Dak. A great 4th round pick.

And my argument with Lynch was I didn’t think Jerry actually made a true attempt for him. There was a couple others I wanted too.

Dak was the backup QB we had always needed. The mistake we made was not putting Romo back in.
Right, so you wanted Paxton Lynch and then you wanted Romo back in. You used both narratives to try and make Jones look bad. Then you jumped on the Dak needs an elite defense. You never supported Dak and, if you did, it was in silence.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
lol. The thread title could have easily been Why The Cowboys Will Stay With Prescott, They Will Not Even Try Drafting Anyone Better.

Maybe it is because the front office has 'evolved' over the years, with balanced input on roster acquisitions coming from folks like Will McClay, etc., that some people cling to Jerry Jones strategically doing something atypical at the quarterback position. It is a simple matter to project what Jones would/will typically do with quarterbacks by looking back at the history of the position under his tenure:

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/wou...or-over-35-million.451706/page-8#post-9959412

Prior to 2016, it was (usually) accepted Jones struck gold with Troy Aikman and Tony Romo--then proceeded to not draft a high round quarterback along with them. That has been Jones' m.o. from day one.

So, 2016 happens. Kellen Moore and Romo fall to injury. Prescott seizes his opportunity and sets the league on fire. In his mind, Jones struck gold again at quarterback. And some people were also caught up in the moment of a euphoric historic rookie campaign that they agreed completely with Jones' decision to support Prescott 100% for the remainder of the season.

Well. Guess what? Some peoples' opinion changed after 2016 while Jones' opinion EXPECTEDLY did not. Some people found themselves trapped within (extremely) shortsighted hopeful expectation perhaps thinking, "It'll be alright. Jones 'sees' what I 'see'. He will eventually come around to my way of thinking."

Good luck with that.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Funny hearing how Dak needs help to win? What QB doesn't? When Dallas was going 8-8 with Romo or worse it was because he needed talent around him, KC just won the SB they have a boat load of talent. This is complete non sense claiming Dak needs talent around him to win, so does every winning team out there. This is why the call them winning teams because it is about team. The length people go to so they can rag on Dak really is pathetic

Reaction score
t-happy-happiness-is-just-at-the-end-of-the-17009973.png

CWR

Reaction score
True and thats why I give the KC a lot of credit for spotting mahomes, and they credit willie davis their texas scout.
And then they did a great job getting him at 10.
I will add they had a decent qb in smith, but were still looking for a better one, and that is what dallas should have been doing after dak took over
in 2016. But they just thought dak was their guy, so why look for another one then.
It also depends on how you utilize a qb, and KC has done a great job with that , build plays that work to mahomes strengths.

Dallas has not done that with dak, and I am waiting to see if mike can come up with better ways to use dak, mainly have him run from the pocket,
not just the rpo or option stuff.

Yeah KC had Alex Smith coming off a career year, yet still had the foresight to go all in on Mahomes. Andy Reid does next level work with his qbs. His system makes QBS. Hell he got Kevin Colb paid.

Garrett wanted to turn Dak into Peyton Manning. I cant stand coaches that dont coach to players strengths. Thats the reason I really liked the idea of hiring Roman from Baltimore. His work with LJax this season was awesome. He got production out of Alex Smith (with Reid) Kap, and even Tyrod. MM says he coaches to the player, not the scheme. I hope hes right.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Right, so you wanted Paxton Lynch and then you wanted Romo back in. You used both narratives to try and make Jones look bad. Then you jumped on the Dak needs an elite defense. You never supported Dak and, if you did, it was in silence.
I don’t have to make Jones look bad. I simply point it out. Lol

I don’t understand this supporting or not supporting Dak. I’m a fan and critic all wrapped up in one and will always speak to what I see as best for Cowboys Football. You may not agree . And my narrative can change pending the circumstances before us.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Funny hearing how Dak needs help to win? What QB doesn't? When Dallas was going 8-8 with Romo or worse it was because he needed talent around him, KC just won the SB they have a boat load of talent. This is complete non sense claiming Dak needs talent around him to win, so does every winning team out there. This is why the call them winning teams because it is about team. The length people go to so they can rag on Dak really is pathetic
Of course. All QB’s need a supporting cast.

It’s what they do with it when they have it that separates the great ones.

How much more supporting cast does Dak need? And would the current supporting cast been enough for some of the greats already? Those are the questions I’d present.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Of course. All QB’s need a supporting cast.

It’s what they do with it when they have it that separates the great ones.

How much more supporting cast does Dak need? And would the current supporting cast been enough for some of the greats already? Those are the questions I’d present.

Dak has helped this team to the NFC East title 2 out of his 1st 4 season and has won a playoff game and has produced in post season. In 3 post season games has accounted for 7 TD and 2 ints. and an avg of 25 points per game. I have never stated that Dak does not share in any loss. Any time you lose you can go through a whole series of plays where he or others failed to execute. I have been as fair to Dak as I was to Romo in that he also shared in success and blame. I will also say with greater pay will come greater pressure to help get this team over the hump and into a championship. Believe me I am not satisfied but I will not throw the baby out with the bathwater. I have watched as Dak has progressed as a QB and have watched as his critics have continue to move the goal post on him. He could not throw anything except dink and dunk passes, he could not throw for more than 200 yards, he fumbles too much yet each of this things he has improved on and I fully expect him to continue to grow and improve as a QB. He will now face a new challenge which will be a change in coaching staff yet I expect Dak to go out and produce. Lastly as QB he can only affect 1 side of the ball, defense he has no control over how they play.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
That was the going rate for an Elite RB and DE.

We might could argue we didn’t need an Elite RB or DE?
How did they perform this past season after getting paid #1 at their respective positions? Did they live up to their top overall pay? I'd say it's an easy big NO. Why aren't you complaining about that?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
How did they perform this past season after getting paid #1 at their respective positions? Did they live up to their top overall pay? I'd say it's an easy big NO. Why aren't you complaining about that?
Start a thread on them . I will. Lol

Lawrence underperformed . Definitely didn’t receive our bang for buck. And so did Elliott. Although if 1300 yards and 4th in rushing is a bad year. Not bad. I don't think anyone is disputing his talent level though.

But at the time we signed them were playing at a high level and are Elite talents. Their talent level isn’t arguable though or whether they should have been paid. Just arguable whether we should have paid them.