Why the Cowboys will likely keep Greg the Broken Leg

Doomsday101

Reaction score
First off, to be clear, I believe Dallas should do everything it can to move on from Greg Zuerlein. I think he's in decline and it's not likely to reverse with him having a couple of back surgeries the past few years.

However, I think the Cowboys will justify keeping him, though, because:

1) We went 12-5, won the division and made the playoffs ... so the Cowboys could believe that his mistakes did not cost us anything, after all he did not miss a kick in the playoff game.

2) They consider him to still be clutch because he didn't miss a kick in that playoff game and I'm not sure he missed any "with the game on the line." (Of course, since we finished 12-5, those kicks he missed when the game was not on the line will be overlooked.

3) As was mentioned earlier, he was coming off offseason back surgery, so the Cowboys could believe that he'll return to form a year removed from it.

4) Bones Fassel is in his corner.

I think we see another kicker brought in this time around to compete. Bones may like him but Jerry does not seem to be a fan and I think will insist there be at the very least competition for the job.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I think we see another kicker brought in this time around to compete. Bones may like him but Jerry does not seem to be a fan and I think will insist there be at the very least competition for the job.
Yes.

I'd hate to be that guy. That lunatic Fassel will probably haze the kid.

I'm sure he has either killed someone or flashed them. Not positive which one.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yes.

I'd hate to be that guy. That lunatic Fassel will probably haze the kid.

I'm sure he has either killed someone or flashed them. Not positive which one.

I like that we have Fassel Cowboys had 4 blocked punts on the season and outside of Zerline issues I felt special teams was a positive. Clearly have to get the FG kicking situation fix. But I like having a Special teams coach who is aggressive.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I like that we have Fassel Cowboys had 4 blocked punts on the season and outside of Zerline issues I felt special teams was a positive. Clearly have to get the FG kicking situation fix. But I like having a Special teams coach who is aggressive.
Ah we disagree there.

I dont like the penalty risk after a stop with our defense gassed.

Also the Zuerlein negatives impacted things more than the blocked punts helped.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Ah we disagree there.

I dont like the penalty risk after a stop with our defense gassed.

Also the Zuerlein negatives impacted things more than the blocked punts helped.

Yet Dallas committed 1 roughing call and made big plays off 3 of the block punts. As for FG as I said that is something that must improve, don't think anyone would dispute that.

aikemirv

Reaction score
He probably cost us the #1 seed, he definitely lost at least one game for us, but there has to be someone better to replace him with. He’s still, statistically, better than more than half the kickers in the league (11th), so he was one made FG away from being a top 10 kicker. Someone will have to come into camp and take the job from him. Not likely.
He was 23rd in FG% and at the bottom in XP %!

fivetwos

Reaction score
Yet Dallas committed 1 roughing call and made big plays off 3 of the block punts. As for FG as I said that is something that must improve, don't think anyone would dispute that.
Fair enough...

This conversation reminded me of the blocked punt that ended up as a first down for the kicking team and Jerry moaning about NFL rules after the game.

He is probably right, just a little pathetic considering all else that awful day.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Fair enough...

This conversation reminded me of the blocked punt that ended up as a first down for the kicking team and Jerry moaning about NFL rules after the game.

He is probably right, just a little pathetic considering all else that awful day.

I watched Landry teams use special teams as a weapon, be it fake punts or going after blocks and same with Jimmy Johnson who was not afraid to go after a block. Is there risk? sure, then again any time you blitz on defense you run risk but you don't stop throwing blitzes at opposing teams. Fact is Fassell has these guys excelling at it

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
I hope they prioritize getting a new kicker. Zuerlein looked shaky as heck this season. Even his makes looked bad.

CoachD

Reaction score
Greg the Peg Leg had a bad year and cost the Cowboys a couple of games and you can tell he's starting to lose confidence and that the worst thing that can happen to a kicker just ask Ken Willis so I think we'll see a new kicker on the roster for the Cowboys next year possibly a rookie.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Greg the Peg Leg had a bad year and cost the Cowboys a couple of games and you can tell he's starting to lose confidence and that the worst thing that can happen to a kicker just ask Ken Willis so I think we'll see a new kicker on the roster for the Cowboys next year possibly a rookie.

True then again Nick Folk went through rough times in the past and yet bounced back and had a very good year with NE

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
First off, to be clear, I believe Dallas should do everything it can to move on from Greg Zuerlein. I think he's in decline and it's not likely to reverse with him having a couple of back surgeries the past few years.

However, I think the Cowboys will justify keeping him, though, because:

1) We went 12-5, won the division and made the playoffs ... so the Cowboys could believe that his mistakes did not cost us anything, after all he did not miss a kick in the playoff game.

2) They consider him to still be clutch because he didn't miss a kick in that playoff game and I'm not sure he missed any "with the game on the line." (Of course, since we finished 12-5, those kicks he missed when the game was not on the line will be overlooked.

3) As was mentioned earlier, he was coming off offseason back surgery, so the Cowboys could believe that he'll return to form a year removed from it.

4) Bones Fassel is in his corner.

He may have cost us HFA with some of those missed FG's and PAT's.
As you said, the team may not think so, but they are in denial if they do.

It is easy to say a K cost a game, if not the last kick to win the game. As a missed kick causes teams to play, or may cause them to play a little different after that.
To make up for the missed points. But the other team may play different also, with a lead though only within a FG.

I am probably overthinking that somewhat. :laugh:

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Number 4 is the only real reason he has going for him. I have no doubt we win the season opener at Tampa if he does his job.

I have no doubt Brady would've pushed for a TD on their last drive instead of just milking the clock before the FG, if he does his job.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
He may have cost us HFA with some of those missed FG's and PAT's.
As you said, the team may not think so, but they are in denial if they do.

It is easy to say a K cost a game, if not the last kick to win the game. As a missed kick causes teams to play, or may cause them to play a little different after that.
To make up for the missed points. But the other team may play different also, with a lead though only within a FG.

I am probably overthinking that somewhat. :laugh:

No. I agree with you. I'm just trying to think like the management of this team and tempering my expectations of them seeing a need to make a change at kicker.

gimmesix

Reaction score
True then again Nick Folk went through rough times in the past and yet bounced back and had a very good year with NE

And I think that will be some of the thinking. We've seen it before with kickers, so it can happen again, especially for kicker who had back surgery before this season. And it can. I just wish our team wouldn't rely on such things. We moved on from Chris Jones a year later than we should have. Same with Bailey. It's likely we will with Zuerlein (although I thought we should have brought in legitimate competition for him after his first year here, which showed IMO that he was in decline).

gimmesix

Reaction score

I hope. I just don't want it to be a situation like this year, where we don't bring in legitimate competition. I mean, we've still got Niswander since we kept him on injured reserve. They could decide to do what they did last offseason and have him place-kick in the preseason to take some of the load of Zuerlein.

Jerry did seem to express some concern about Zuerlein, though, so hopefully that's a good sign.

Jipper

Reaction score
I want him cut

If he's not cut I want him to miss every kick until the moron in charge realizes he needs to be cut and replaced

I'm over the bs, time to get real

Doomsday101

Reaction score
And I think that will be some of the thinking. We've seen it before with kickers, so it can happen again, especially for kicker who had back surgery before this season. And it can. I just wish our team wouldn't rely on such things.

As I mentioned Jerry did not seem happy with Greg, I have a feeling he will insist on having someone brought in to compete. Frankly would not mind seeing Dallas use a 7th rd pick on a kicker
1. Cade York, LSU
2. Gabe Brkic, Oklahoma
3. Cameron Dicker, Texas