Why the Eagle fans hate Dallas - the story from an old head who remembers (me)

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
Anyone ever wonder about the roots of Philly's hatred for all things that are Dallas Cowboys? We can thank Lee Roy Jordan. And here is why...

In 1966, we played the first of our usual two games against the Eagles, winning that game 56-7. The second game was different, with Philly winning 24-23. The catalyst for their win was RB Timmy Brown, who returned two kickoffs back for touchdowns.

The first meeting of the ’67 season took place on October 29 at Franklin Field and ended with a 21-14 Eagles victory. Other than a surprise onside kick that turned into an Eagles touchdown drive, the upset win was pretty uneventful. The same can’t be said for the second Eagles/Dallas game that year. It was December 10, 1967 and the 4-7-1 Eagles traveled to Dallas to take on the division leading 8-4 Cowboys. The Cowboys had already clinched the division, rendering the outcome of the game meaningless. But our Doomsday Defense made it a statement game; a statement made at the expense of Timmy Brown’s jaw. In fact, Brown was interviewed by Stan Hochman of the Philadelphia Daily News years later and said he received phone calls the morning of the game from some of the Dallas guys he knew telling him there was a contract on his head. Ah, the days of nasty rivalries that were really nasty.

Anyway, in the late stages of the game, with Dallas having dominated the Eagles and built a 31-3 lead, the Cowboys fired the first shot in the “blood feud” that exists to this day. The Eagles possessed the ball and a passing play in the flat for Brown. After quarterback Norm Snead’s pass sailed over his head, Timmy Brown slowed down and relaxed. And that’s when it happened: Dallas middle-linebacker Lee Roy Jordan, who was in Brown’s vicinity, dropped Brown with an elbow to the face mask well after the whistle sounded.

With Brown dazed on the ground, Jordan stepped over the injured Eagle, taunting him. The blow was significant; it fractured Brown’s jaw and loosened six of his teeth. Brown said, “I wound up eating nothing but liquids for a month and a half. Jordan got a 15-yard penalty and that’s all.” And therein lies the root of Philly's hatred of our favorite team.

RoyalCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Brutal but interesting. Thanks for the good read! I love football history, especially if it deals with the Cowboysor Buckeyes.

Centex

Reaction score
Good read. I googled to see if their might be a video.
Didn't see one, but an interesting after fact is that Timmy Brown became an actor and player a surgeon in early episodes of MASH.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One of the other reasons they hate us so much, was they wanted a bitter rivalry to start.
But we owned them, and they were just a small blip on the map to us. an afterthought. We dissed them as a real team basically. Because they could never get ahead of us in the overall scheme of things.

We were more concerned with the Commanders and Giants over the Eagles.
They always held that against us. So their SB every year was against us, twice. And most of the time they still failed.

They still hold that against us. The rivalry is there, and became more so with Buddy Ryan / Jimmy Johnson. But they still can't stand it that even after winning a SB, they still are behind us.

HeavyBarrel

Reaction score
Look at a United States map, there is no reason other than the NFL why Philly and Dallas should be rivals lol

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Anyone ever wonder about the roots of Philly's hatred for all things that are Dallas Cowboys? We can thank Lee Roy Jordan. And here is why...

In 1966, we played the first of our usual two games against the Eagles, winning that game 56-7. The second game was different, with Philly winning 24-23. The catalyst for their win was RB Timmy Brown, who returned two kickoffs back for touchdowns.

The first meeting of the ’67 season took place on October 29 at Franklin Field and ended with a 21-14 Eagles victory. Other than a surprise onside kick that turned into an Eagles touchdown drive, the upset win was pretty uneventful. The same can’t be said for the second Eagles/Dallas game that year. It was December 10, 1967 and the 4-7-1 Eagles traveled to Dallas to take on the division leading 8-4 Cowboys. The Cowboys had already clinched the division, rendering the outcome of the game meaningless. But our Doomsday Defense made it a statement game; a statement made at the expense of Timmy Brown’s jaw. In fact, Brown was interviewed by Stan Hochman of the Philadelphia Daily News years later and said he received phone calls the morning of the game from some of the Dallas guys he knew telling him there was a contract on his head. Ah, the days of nasty rivalries that were really nasty.

Anyway, in the late stages of the game, with Dallas having dominated the Eagles and built a 31-3 lead, the Cowboys fired the first shot in the “blood feud” that exists to this day. The Eagles possessed the ball and a passing play in the flat for Brown. After quarterback Norm Snead’s pass sailed over his head, Timmy Brown slowed down and relaxed. And that’s when it happened: Dallas middle-linebacker Lee Roy Jordan, who was in Brown’s vicinity, dropped Brown with an elbow to the face mask well after the whistle sounded.

With Brown dazed on the ground, Jordan stepped over the injured Eagle, taunting him. The blow was significant; it fractured Brown’s jaw and loosened six of his teeth. Brown said, “I wound up eating nothing but liquids for a month and a half. Jordan got a 15-yard penalty and that’s all.” And therein lies the root of Philly's hatred of our favorite team.
Good stuff.
But there’s also this number: 17-3. That’s the record the Cowboys had against the beagles from 1970-79. IMO, that’s when the hate got real thick. They just couldn’t beat us. I didn’t even think of them as a rival until the 80s.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
But who else would go in the NFCE?

250px-Cam_newton_2016.jpg

Pants

Reaction score
all I know is that living in Eagles/Steelers territory, you can hear a pin drop from eagles fans right now - they have no bravado like they did in early february....you walk into the grocery store and eagles fans (borderline) cringe when they see me displaying my Cowboy Star prominently...

love that they are quiet, let's keep them that way!

SHHHHHH

Centex

Reaction score
Good stuff.
But there’s also this number: 17-3. That’s the record the Cowboys had against the beagles from 1970-79. IMO, that’s when the hate got real thick. They just couldn’t beat us. I didn’t even think of them as a rival until the 80s.
I didn't hate the Eagles until Buddy Ryan had Randall Cunningham fake a kneel down and throw a long pass as time expired with them way ahead.

I always hated that Dallas signed Cunningham.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
I remember that game. It was a brutal cheap shot, but that's how the game was played back then.

JayFord

Reaction score
Honestly most of them hate us now because its the “cool” thing to do like why everyone else hates us

Theres no real reason

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
I have a strong distain maybe even hate for Eagles fans from back when Irving went down with what appeared to be a serious, maybe even paralyzing neck injury and they all cheered and danced. No respect, no class. I would never tolerate my fellow Cowboys fans engaging in such behavior.
That too was the start of my hate for Eagles fans, also one of my first clear memories of Cowboys football.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
I appreciate the post but the rivalry really didn't take hold until the 80's and 90's, especially under Buddy Ryan.

There was the game with replacement players where the Cowboys ran up the score, then the Cunningham fake kneel the next season for a touchdown pass.

There was that brutal beating that Aikman took at the hands of Reggie White and Seth Joyner.

Let us not forget the dreaded pickle juice game and Reid establishing his dominance with an onside kick to start the game. Of course, there was the retort when he tried to do the same thing against Parcells and Randall Williams returned it for a touchdown. Yeah, we beat their perennial contenders with Quincy Carter at quarterback.

But for me, it's none of that. I spent half my life living in or around Philly, and it's really about the fans. The time that an Eagles fan dumped a full cup of beer on a 7 year old kid at the stadium because he wore a Cowboys jersey. The jeering of Michael Irvin while he lay helpless (and possibly paralyzed) on the turf. Or the drunk idiot who put his finger down his throat and forcibly threw up on a Cowboys fan at the stadium in my section.

We better win this game.

Praxit

Reaction score
..I always thought it was the Cheerleaders thing.. lol.. Foxy ladies, with short-tight cowboy regalia pasted on 12 month calendar. Philly never came close.. :) Darwin at it again..

Creeper

Reaction score
When I was about 9 or 10 my dad got tickets to a Giants-Eagles preseason game they played at Princeton University. We were sitting in bleachers in the end zone surrounded by Eagles fans. The Eagles kicked a FG in the direction of our seats. I remember the ball coming right at me and I was about to catch it when about two dozen Eagles fans trampled me. I was a little kid! I wound up under the wood plank bench seats unharmed but feeling very pissed that they didn't let me catch the ball.. Needless to say, I didn't get a chance to even touch the the ball. I have hated the Eagles fans ever since.