Why the Eagle fans hate Dallas - the story from an old head who remembers (me)

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Maybe we can do the same thing to Wentz or Ertz today. That would be awesome.

bud914

Reaction score
you don't need to be close to hate philly, everybody in the country hates them and that putrid city

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Anyone ever wonder about the roots of Philly's hatred for all things that are Dallas Cowboys? We can thank Lee Roy Jordan. And here is why...

In 1966, we played the first of our usual two games against the Eagles, winning that game 56-7. The second game was different, with Philly winning 24-23. The catalyst for their win was RB Timmy Brown, who returned two kickoffs back for touchdowns.

The first meeting of the ’67 season took place on October 29 at Franklin Field and ended with a 21-14 Eagles victory. Other than a surprise onside kick that turned into an Eagles touchdown drive, the upset win was pretty uneventful. The same can’t be said for the second Eagles/Dallas game that year. It was December 10, 1967 and the 4-7-1 Eagles traveled to Dallas to take on the division leading 8-4 Cowboys. The Cowboys had already clinched the division, rendering the outcome of the game meaningless. But our Doomsday Defense made it a statement game; a statement made at the expense of Timmy Brown’s jaw. In fact, Brown was interviewed by Stan Hochman of the Philadelphia Daily News years later and said he received phone calls the morning of the game from some of the Dallas guys he knew telling him there was a contract on his head. Ah, the days of nasty rivalries that were really nasty.

Anyway, in the late stages of the game, with Dallas having dominated the Eagles and built a 31-3 lead, the Cowboys fired the first shot in the “blood feud” that exists to this day. The Eagles possessed the ball and a passing play in the flat for Brown. After quarterback Norm Snead’s pass sailed over his head, Timmy Brown slowed down and relaxed. And that’s when it happened: Dallas middle-linebacker Lee Roy Jordan, who was in Brown’s vicinity, dropped Brown with an elbow to the face mask well after the whistle sounded.

With Brown dazed on the ground, Jordan stepped over the injured Eagle, taunting him. The blow was significant; it fractured Brown’s jaw and loosened six of his teeth. Brown said, “I wound up eating nothing but liquids for a month and a half. Jordan got a 15-yard penalty and that’s all.” And therein lies the root of Philly's hatred of our favorite team.
True story.

I love those days.

Bob Lilly

Cornell Greene

Mel Renfro

Mike Geichter

Willie Townes (Baby Cakes)

Howley

Jordan

These guys played becuz they were motivated.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Anyone ever wonder about the roots of Philly's hatred for all things that are Dallas Cowboys? We can thank Lee Roy Jordan. And here is why...

In 1966, we played the first of our usual two games against the Eagles, winning that game 56-7. The second game was different, with Philly winning 24-23. The catalyst for their win was RB Timmy Brown, who returned two kickoffs back for touchdowns.

The first meeting of the ’67 season took place on October 29 at Franklin Field and ended with a 21-14 Eagles victory. Other than a surprise onside kick that turned into an Eagles touchdown drive, the upset win was pretty uneventful. The same can’t be said for the second Eagles/Dallas game that year. It was December 10, 1967 and the 4-7-1 Eagles traveled to Dallas to take on the division leading 8-4 Cowboys. The Cowboys had already clinched the division, rendering the outcome of the game meaningless. But our Doomsday Defense made it a statement game; a statement made at the expense of Timmy Brown’s jaw. In fact, Brown was interviewed by Stan Hochman of the Philadelphia Daily News years later and said he received phone calls the morning of the game from some of the Dallas guys he knew telling him there was a contract on his head. Ah, the days of nasty rivalries that were really nasty.

Anyway, in the late stages of the game, with Dallas having dominated the Eagles and built a 31-3 lead, the Cowboys fired the first shot in the “blood feud” that exists to this day. The Eagles possessed the ball and a passing play in the flat for Brown. After quarterback Norm Snead’s pass sailed over his head, Timmy Brown slowed down and relaxed. And that’s when it happened: Dallas middle-linebacker Lee Roy Jordan, who was in Brown’s vicinity, dropped Brown with an elbow to the face mask well after the whistle sounded.

With Brown dazed on the ground, Jordan stepped over the injured Eagle, taunting him. The blow was significant; it fractured Brown’s jaw and loosened six of his teeth. Brown said, “I wound up eating nothing but liquids for a month and a half. Jordan got a 15-yard penalty and that’s all.” And therein lies the root of Philly's hatred of our favorite team.
Remember it well and so did Jaworski and Vermeil and Ryan. When the Cowboys went on that 20 winning seasons in a row, they became the standard, other than the Browns early and the Packers later. The Cowboys sucked in the late 80's, no longer that standard of excellence, and Buddy Ryan chose to take on Jimmy with his "no East Carolina's in the NFL" even though the Cowboys were a non factor. He knew to not stop fanning those flames of hate.

Jaworski knew they needed an enemy but not just any enemy, one the fans could get on board with and NY and WAS were regional and had that blue collar air about them but the Cowboys were all glitz and glamour and ugly hates glamour. The Cowboys and their fans were uppity, thought they were cool and invented football and easy to hate dressed in their fine clothes for a football game, being successful only made it better. The Cowboys games in Dallas were as much about people watching and a fashion show as much as a football game. See and be seen. The Dallas Cowboys fandom was known as the country club to the blue collar markets.

Eagles coaches and players have fed off the Cowboys hate for decades. Bergey hurt his neck before a game, slamming a soda machine where the Cowboys emblem was. The closest thing to success for them is causing failure to the Cowboys. If we can't have it, don't let them.

I really didn't know the extent of that hatred until I lived on PA during Buddy Ball. They were nothing in 89-90 yet Buddy chose to make them enemy #1 and even targeted the kicker.

Man, I love this stuff because the old rivalries like CHI-GB, KC-OAK and NYJ-MIA are all gone now. And I don't know if Demarco Murray really grasped the blow to the heart going to the Eagles. We had players go to NY and WAS and that was bad enough but the Eagles? Say it ain't so, Demarco.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
th

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

:clap:

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Here's a weird factoid... Dallas County, Texas (and a few others) is named after George M. Dallas, a Philadelphia native. The city might be, research suggests it but can't be verified 100%.
Interesting.

Weirdest story I remember was the one about how we got our franchise.

More or less..

When the votes went out for Dallas to enter the league..

Tex Schramm had come from the Los Angeles Rams.

The Commanders were set to block the vote.

But the Commanders had their Hail to the Commanders fight song and some how Schramm had acquired the rights to the song.

So he bribed them to vote for the franchise and gave them the rights to their song.

There are a few other details to it..

but that's the just.

Beaker42

Reaction score

And Jordan Dhicks got us back when he twisted Tony in mid-air and drove his shoulder into the ground.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Things have improved a little with the move to a new stadium, but back in the day when games were played in veterans stadium, mY buddy and I always drove from NJ (him) and Richmond, VA (me) to meet for the Cowboys at Eagles game.
  • We never wore Cowboys colors, only idiots did that
  • We never cheered unless in the end zone surrounded by Cowboys fans
I’ve seen Eagles fans throwing beer on young ladies wearing Cowboys gear.
I’ve seen Cowboys fans literally knocked out in the stands and handed down, mosh pit style to waiting security in yellow jackets.
I’ve seen a teenaged boy with his girlfriend, backed against a concrete wall on the walk out of the stadium after the game, held, slapped, and ridiculed in front of his girl for daring to wear a blue jersey.
I’ve seen young kids crying because their mom was crying as dad was bullied for no reason.

Sorry, but I hate everything about the Eagles and their fans.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score

Well, they're certainly being overly sensitive......:flagwave::flagwave:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And Jordan Dhicks got us back when he twisted Tony in mid-air and drove his shoulder into the ground.
Go back to the 89 game when Aikman was a rook. It wasn't enough that they sacked him 11 times, the last time they sacked him, and I forget the player, he body slammed Aikman and injured his shoulder. The Cowboys were beaten, the QB was destroyed and their hate was so strong that they wanted more. Never convince me that player didn't get a bonus from Ryan after that game. I think the bounty board grew every time he played the Cowboys. Beat them? Hell, hurt them.

A lot of the Eagles hatred and the Skins with Allen was because of one man, Landry. He even had that goody two shoes QB, Staubach. Landry had been a physical defensive player but he was a cerebral HC and the origin of the "finesse" tag the players hated. He was calm and collected and the other coaches were fire. He showed more dignity in losing than they did in winning. He was GQ and they were DQ. Landry was Dallas. He was the ultimate white collar HC in NFL history and while they probably respected him as a man, they hated him and his team for what they represented. "Finesse" isn't supposed to win.

Bleedblue1111

Reaction score
Can someone please explain the "pickle juice" game? I've heard it referenced several times. It was either before my time, or not recalling it. Thanks
:thumbup:

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I didn't hate the Eagles until Buddy Ryan had Randall Cunningham fake a kneel down and throw a long pass as time expired with them way ahead.

I always hated that Dallas signed Cunningham.
I was at that game
They were pissed because we ran the score up on them at the earlier game in Dallas