News: Why the NFL Has a Quarterback Crisis

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Coaches see more QB prospects entering the league without the skill sets to excel; Will the classic NFL passer go extinct?

By
Kevin Clark
Sept. 9, 2015 1:24 p.m. ET
100 COMMENTS
Since the dawn of the NFL, head coaches and general managers have been calling top college quarterback prospects into conference rooms to pepper them with rudimentary questions: how to attack a certain defense, for instance, or what to do when a play breaks down. The answers were sometimes dull and sometimes brilliant, but there were always answers.

This year, according to separate interviews with dozens of NFL coaches and executives, something disturbing happened in these pre-draft quiz sessions. When asked the same basic questions, many quarterback prospects responded with something NFL insiders said they have never seen before: blank stares.

Read the rest: http://www.wsj.com/articles/why-the-nfl-has-a-quarterback-crisis-1441819454

AmericasTeam81

Reaction score
It's not the job NCAA coaches to produce pro QB's. They have to win games with what they got and it is easier to run a spread formation.

Oh, Chip will never win a super bowl with his gimmick offense. Hell, he will never win an NCAA title either. LOL

I think you are absolutely right about college coaches needing to win games the best way they can. The effect of this will be less NFL ready QBs which will have an affect on the NFL game. I personal dislike the sprint option and running QB offenses in college.

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
A crisis....not yet, but just wait 2-3yrs when Peyton, Brady, Romo, Brees and a few other QBs retire. Who will be their replacements? Changes are coming

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
A crisis....not yet, but just wait 2-3yrs when Peyton, Brady, Romo, Brees and a few other QBs retire. Who will be their replacements? Changes are coming

Don't worry. We have the Mariotas, Kaepernicks, and RG3s of the world to save the NFL from crisis.

Seriously, thank goodness for the younger, real QBs... Luck, Wilson, Rodgers. Wilson is pretty gimmicky, but not completely systematic like Mariota, Kaep, and RG3.He can at least throw down the field when called too.

Wolfpack

Reaction score
Great article. Colleges realy now put their best athelitic guys at QB and use that athletic pressure to make defenses pay. That doesn't translate well to the NFL where Everyone was a college stud.

Currently there is a ton of pressure to start young guys....the salary cap and lack of overall talent.

I think you need to find guys with the intelligence and work ethic ( and basic arm ) who you can groom...much like Romo. It flies in the face of current roster building and salary cap management however.

superonyx

Reaction score
While college coaches have no obligation to the NFL to develop pro style QB's, the NFL has influence in another way. How many top recruits will be willing to play for a college coach who is going to make him undraftable? Eventually either the NFL turns into college football or college coaches will have to teach QB's how to be NFL ready QB's.

I'm hoping the NFL doesn't turn into college football....the spread offense is bad for the sport. Nick Saban was right on.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Who are the up and coming college QB's at this point? I dont even know. I really think Dallas should be drafting someone next year to groom behind Romo, our life after him looks very bleak

DFWJC

Reaction score
Maybe in the near future it'll become a crisis.

Right now, there are more very good NFL starting QBs than in any time in history.
At least half the league has a good to very good or great one.
That's more than I can ever recall.

But like what was said above, a bunch of those guys will be retiring in the next 3-6 years.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Who are the up and coming college QB's at this point? I dont even know. I really think Dallas should be drafting someone next year to groom behind Romo, our life after him looks very bleak

The bleak part is true, but we you and I both know you can't just draft one to draft one. Almost every QB drafted in the last few years would have been a wasted pick. .
Even when it's become more urgent recently....
Glad we have Freddy (and TWill) instead of Geno
Glad we have Martin instead of Manziel

I probably would have drafted Mettenberger last year though.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score

When the day comes that the league's starting QB's are generally low quality, then it'll be spun as the era of great defense. The QB's that do end up winning SB's (somebody has to, right?) will be considered as elite and have their ticket to Canton punched. It's all relative.

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
GMs & scouts should go to the schools with the QBs who have skills necessary to play in the NFL.. i.e., Eastern IL. Work ain't hard. Stop trying to take the easy route.

Last edited: