News: Why the NFL Has a Quarterback Crisis

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Coaches see more QB prospects entering the league without the skill sets to excel; Will the classic NFL passer go extinct?

By
Kevin Clark
Sept. 9, 2015 1:24 p.m. ET
100 COMMENTS
Since the dawn of the NFL, head coaches and general managers have been calling top college quarterback prospects into conference rooms to pepper them with rudimentary questions: how to attack a certain defense, for instance, or what to do when a play breaks down. The answers were sometimes dull and sometimes brilliant, but there were always answers.

This year, according to separate interviews with dozens of NFL coaches and executives, something disturbing happened in these pre-draft quiz sessions. When asked the same basic questions, many quarterback prospects responded with something NFL insiders said they have never seen before: blank stares.

Read the rest: http://www.wsj.com/articles/why-the-nfl-has-a-quarterback-crisis-1441819454

I think it's like Bill Parcells said.. You see the skill set with a lot of these guys but you just never know how they will do when you put them in the game.

That's why you have guys like Russell Wilson who do well even though he is 5 foot 11 he just has an intangible that you can't see until you put him in a game.

To get to a player like Romos level I think you have to be obsessed with football.

VACowboy

Reaction score
In my opinion, as a paradigm, up-tempo offense is a gimmick; the read option and veer are not. The former is based on preventing substitutions and exploiting the concept that you can get set and run plays faster than defenses can react. The latter are based on basic football principals, like blocking angles and misdirection. But the NFL is not college, and while offensive gimmicks can work for a little while in the League, eventually defenses catch up, and as it should, achieving success reverts to talent and execution.

The NFL rules are severely slanted toward the offense and the passing game, but I'd love to see a team take advantage of the available talent and design an offense around it. There are some supremely talented QB's out there whose abilities just happen to lie somewhere other than seven steps deep in the pocket, players who can be had for nothing, as QB's go. Instead of quarterback and wide receiver, focus your resources on building a big, athletic offensive line and assembling a stable of the highest quality RBs. Pick up Nick Marshall, draft a couple of Dak Prescott, Braxton Miller, Jacoby Brissett and Trevone Boykin, and sign Taysom Hill as an UDFA. Let these guys run a full-blown read option/veer-based offense with a moving pocket, high-percentage throws and lots of play action deep.

Would it work? Maybe not, but it would be a nightmare to prepare for, and with great athletes running it to precision, I'd give it a real chance. It would have to be better than wasting high picks looking for QB's and continuing to lose.

Last edited:

burmafrd

Reaction score
In my opinion, as a paradigm, up-tempo offense is a gimmick; the read option and veer are not. The former is based on preventing substitutions and exploiting the concept that you can get set and run plays faster than defenses can react. The latter are based on basic football principals, like blocking angles and misdirection. But the NFL is not college, and while offensive gimmicks can work for a little while in the League, eventually defenses catch up, and as it should, achieving success reverts to talent and execution.

The NFL rules are severely slanted toward the offense and the passing game, but I'd love to see a team take advantage of the available talent and design an offense around it. There are some supremely talented QB's out there whose abilities just happen to lie somewhere other than seven steps deep in the pocket, players who can be had for nothing, as QB's go. Instead of quarterback and wide receiver, focus your resources on building a big, athletic offensive line and assembling a stable of the highest quality RBs. Pick up Nick Marshall, draft a couple of Dak Prescott, Braxton Miller, Jacoby Brissett and Trevone Boykin, and sign Taysom Hill as an UDFA. Let these guys run a full-blown read option/veer-based offense with a moving pocket, high-percentage throws and lots of play action.

Would it work? Maybe not, but it would be a nightmare to prepare for, and with great athletes running it to precision, I'd give it a real chance.

Look at all the trouble Navy gives top teams because they run the option attack and their talent level is usually far below that of the other teams

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Coaches see more QB prospects entering the league without the skill sets to excel; Will the classic NFL passer go extinct?

By
Kevin Clark
Sept. 9, 2015 1:24 p.m. ET
100 COMMENTS
Since the dawn of the NFL, head coaches and general managers have been calling top college quarterback prospects into conference rooms to pepper them with rudimentary questions: how to attack a certain defense, for instance, or what to do when a play breaks down. The answers were sometimes dull and sometimes brilliant, but there were always answers.

This year, according to separate interviews with dozens of NFL coaches and executives, something disturbing happened in these pre-draft quiz sessions. When asked the same basic questions, many quarterback prospects responded with something NFL insiders said they have never seen before: blank stares.

Read the rest: http://www.wsj.com/articles/why-the-nfl-has-a-quarterback-crisis-1441819454

The NFL needs a development league, IMO.

dallasdave

Reaction score
Don't worry. We have the Mariotas, Kaepernicks, and RG3s of the world to save the NFL from crisis.

Seriously, thank goodness for the younger, real QBs... Luck, Wilson, Rodgers. Wilson is pretty gimmicky, but not completely systematic like Mariota, Kaep, and RG3.He can at least throw down the field when called too.

Hey, we have Weeden !!! Don't worry be happy !! :lmao:

VACowboy

Reaction score
Look at all the trouble Navy gives top teams because they run the option attack and their talent level is usually far below that of the other teams

Exactly. And it's fun to watch. Take the time to see Georgia Tech play this season.

Primetime42

Reaction score
Yet another reason why these guys need to sit and watch for a while before being thrown into the fire.

VACowboy

Reaction score
Don't worry. We have the Mariotas, Kaepernicks, and RG3s of the world to save the NFL from crisis.

Seriously, thank goodness for the younger, real QBs... Luck, Wilson, Rodgers. Wilson is pretty gimmicky, but not completely systematic like Mariota, Kaep, and RG3.He can at least throw down the field when called too.

I don't consider what Wilson does a gimmick. The Seattle offense uses lots of misdirection that creates options in both the air and ground game. It may not be traditional NFL stuff, but it is basic football.

burmafrd

Reaction score
If you had three good option QBs you could run it in the NFL. You would need at least three because of the beatings they would take.

VACowboy

Reaction score
If you had three good option QBs you could run it in the NFL. You would need at least three because of the beatings they would take.

I think it would take a special group of players to make it work, but so does anything else in the NFL.

great talent + great execution = success in any scheme

Why bang your head looking for a unicorn instead of harnessing the power of all those thoroughbreds running wild out there?

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
I seem to recall reading articles like this 20 years ago, lamenting what would happen when Marino, Elway, Young, aikman, Montana, etc... eventually retired.

I'm not anywhere near worried. There will be good Qbs in the future. Some of them are in college, some are in high school.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
I don't consider what Wilson does a gimmick. The Seattle offense uses lots of misdirection that creates options in both the air and ground game. It may not be traditional NFL stuff, but it is basic football.

That's kind of where I was going. You're right. I just think a big part of that offense is Wilson's legs. He's not your pure pocket passer, but he'll try and set you up, then blast defenses with a nice pass.

VACowboy

Reaction score
That's kind of where I was going. You're right. I just think a big part of that offense is Wilson's legs. He's not your pure pocket passer, but he'll try and set you up, then blast defenses with a nice pass.

Yep. In my book, that's a good coach designing a scheme to take advantage of his talent. Doesn't happen nearly enough these days. I think RGIII could be doing something similar if he and his coaches weren't idiots.

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
In high school, a qb could also be a 3rd string rb, wr etc. and play db on defense.

Then when they go to college, they probably have a better chance getting a scholarship by playing the other position due to the limited slots available at QB, and the player not truly getting practice time to get better @ the qb position.

Basically, there is probably a short list of football players that want to take the time to learn how to play QB in a pro level.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
No one sits and develops QB prospects anymore. What do Romo, Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Rivers have in common?

They all sat on the bench there first year, two years, and in Romo's case 4 years before becoming starting QBs

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Who are the up and coming college QB's at this point? I dont even know. I really think Dallas should be drafting someone next year to groom behind Romo, our life after him looks very bleak

Oh, that's gonna happen.

They've plugged most holes completing last years draft, IMO.

Now its time to put out the small fires as they happen and focus on QB.

There's a method and long term plan with this team...............it's about damn time.