Why the offense probably won’t be cured by a new OC

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hate to say it my fellow Cowboys fans but hoping we get a new OC that will make our offense more like the other successful NFL offenses like the rams, saints or chiefs is probably not going to happen.

Why?

1. Because the offensive woes are a philosophical problem that originates with the head coach.
Garrett is a conservative head coach who will NEVER coach any other way. He won’t hire an OC who wants to “open things up” offensively because that’s not Garrett. He likes to play a certain way- specifically run the ball, get the lead, control the clock, take few chances, and trust your defense to hold on or your offense to simply dominate TOP. Being offensively aggressive is not in his nature.

2. Because this team is invested to run the ball.
There are 4 first round picks in the last 7 drafts that are directly tied to having a dominant running game. Having Zeke and 3 first round OL is great except for the fact that that style of football requires your OL to physically dominate opponents, which is extremely difficult in a league where being physically dominant to win is very difficult to maintain an entire season. The NFL is a league where winning in the playoffs requires you to be able to score in different ways- by both the run and pass.

3. Because if Garrett only has one year to turn this around, he wants to do it “his way”.
Doing it “his way” means Garrett won’t trust hiring some OC that doesn’t align to his philosophy. If Garrett’s butt is on the line, I think he will be more “Garrett-like” rather than less.

For those reasons, I think Kellen Moore is Garrett’s guy as new OC. He can control Moore easier than some new guru coming from the outside. But unfortunately I expect to see pretty much the same offense next year with perhaps a few minor wrinkles.

I sure hope I’m wrong.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I dont think Garrett is really hiring the OC,we will see who they get and will have a better idea of where this offense is headed.
You may be right. If Garrett had his way, we would still have Linehan. But I expect to see the bright but green Kellen Moore be Garrett’s choice. Besides, what top offensive mind would want to walk into a situation where the HC has one year left on his contract?

ClintDagger

Reaction score
I tend to agree with OP. But never say never. At least with Linehan gone there’s a chance someone new might come in that captivates JG’s imagination and he lets them take the ball and run with it. If JG doesn’t get extended, then he knows his back is against the wall so maybe, just maybe he lets someone do something outside the box.

ClintDagger

Reaction score
didn't we use to complain that Garrett threw the ball too much?
I don’t think it’s about balance as much as the ability for teams like the Rams and Chiefs to scheme guys open, or scheme to exploit things they see on film. Look at what LA did to us. They had an approach for our DL alignment with interior running as well as our LBs with that jet sweep. We never come up with anything outside of a random play here and there.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
didn't we use to complain that Garrett threw the ball too much?
I took the complaints to be about throwing at the wrong times. My point isn’t that we shouldn’t be a run dominant team, but that we should be more than just that.

I heard Troy Aikman say in an interview today something that made a lot of sense. Those 90s teams didn’t throw a lot but when they did, it was aggressive. Taking chances at the right time is good offense. Think about what Norv Turner did in that 92 NFC championship game when we were backed up inside the 20 and SF had all the momentum. On first down, Troy threw that slant to Alvin Harper for like 70 yards. Garrett would have called a conservative run there. That’s what being aggressive is all about.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Hate to say it my fellow Cowboys fans but hoping we get a new OC that will make our offense more like the other successful NFL offenses like the rams, saints or chiefs is probably not going to happen.

Why?

1. Because the offensive woes are a philosophical problem that originates with the head coach.
Garrett is a conservative head coach who will NEVER coach any other way. He won’t hire an OC who wants to “open things up” offensively because that’s not Garrett. He likes to play a certain way- specifically run the ball, get the lead, control the clock, take few chances, and trust your defense to hold on or your offense to simply dominate TOP. Being offensively aggressive is not in his nature.

There are 4 first round picks in the last 7 drafts that are directly tied to having a dominant running game. Having Zeke and 3 first round OL is great except for the fact that that style of football requires your OL to physically dominate opponents, which is extremely difficult in a league where being physically dominant to win is very difficult to maintain an entire season. The NFL is a league where winning in the playoffs requires you to be able to score in different ways- by both the run and pass.

3. Because if Garrett only has one year to turn this around, he wants to do it “his way”.
Doing it “his way” means Garrett won’t trust hiring some OC that doesn’t align to his philosophy. If Garrett’s butt is on the line, I think he will be more “Garrett-like” rather than less.

For those reasons, I think Kellen Moore is Garrett’s guy as new OC. He can control Moore easier than some new guru coming from the outside. But unfortunately I expect to see pretty much the same offense next year with perhaps a few minor wrinkles.

I sure hope I’m wrong.
You forgot one key cause why this offense will probably not improve . Our QB..

Praxit

Reaction score
..you know, it must bite Jerry hard to see Mr. Kraft just smile up there, in his box with cup of tea in hand. If he was willing to pay for a super bowl, quoted saying in joking manner. I do see him going balls out getting someone who'll get Dallas into the next phase.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Because of the system they use,and Dak. It’s built for ground control,and moving the chains. You’d need a different type of QB to completely switch to a uptempo fast moving offense,as well as getting everyone else to change over. But what they can do,is suit it for a QB like Dak,and exploit those legs of his and get him moving around and rolling out. That’s when he’s best,and it will also benefit Cooper and Gallup as well.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I took the complaints to be about throwing at the wrong times. My point isn’t that we shouldn’t be a run dominant team, but that we should be more than just that.

I heard Troy Aikman say in an interview today something that made a lot of sense. Those 90s teams didn’t throw a lot but when they did, it was aggressive. Taking chances at the right time is good offense. Think about what Norv Turner did in that 92 NFC championship game when we were backed up inside the 20 and SF had all the momentum. On first down, Troy threw that slant to Alvin Harper for like 70 yards. Garrett would have called a conservative run there. That’s what being aggressive is all about.
And you believe we can be aggressive thru the air downfield with Dak? That he can make all the throws Troy did.

All of your criticism lacks a key ingredient. Criticism of our very average passing QB.

jnday

Reaction score
You may be right. If Garrett had his way, we would still have Linehan. But I expect to see the bright but green Kellen Moore be Garrett’s choice. Besides, what top offensive mind would want to walk into a situation where the HC has one year left on his contract?
It was reported a few days ago that Garrett wanted Linehan gone last year.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
..you know, it must bite Jerry hard to see Mr. Kraft just smile up there, in his box with cup of tea in hand. If he was willing to pay for a super bowl, quoted saying in joking manner. I do see him going balls out getting someone who'll get Dallas into the next phase.
The biggest difference is Kraft is wiling to hire someone and let them take the credit for building a championship team.

Jerry tried that with Jimmy but didn’t like being a second fiddle.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Why?

I sure hope I’m wrong.
Kinda like saying your sex life won't be cured with a new wife....

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score

Why?

I sure hope I’m wrong.
I think they can still be a run first team, but they have to get more out of Dak's running ability and become much better at situational play-calling as well as keeping defenses off balance for better success on early downs. Running from 11 personnel, more motion seeking mismatches, getting Dak out on the perimeter more; the Cowboys need to change their approach as much as anything. The offense in and of itself need not change much, but the philosophy on how to attack a defense should include a much more diverse deployment of their weapons.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And you believe we can be aggressive thru the air downfield with Dak? That he can make all the throws Troy did.

All of your criticism lacks a key ingredient. Criticism of our very average passing QB.
I didn’t say Dak was Troy, Lol!

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Well,perhaps the angle of you're views do hold certain merits of observed reasonings,I suppose there BoB, yet just based off of the
" last 4 of 7 first round drafts" of pointed observation is kinda' being forcefully bent to shape in support of this proposed narrative, I mean ,seeing how our #1 2019 draft round having been already expended upon( quite brilliantly ,also,I might add) the leap ahead ,quickly lethal ,yardage munching asset already,of which that hand does not fit the glove of this narrative & which by the simple employment of my FEUDIAN Math really brings it to a 50/50 break even at 4 of the 8 past drafts, in support of this GARRETT-ESQUE STYLE of offensive lameness you are attempting to espouse the continued saddlement of predicted offensive gameplay,,, which is not the case as it's obvious ,decisions are being made ,which are beyond the powers of GARRETT'S desires of design,,,er,,,already, just saying, Bro!:thumbup:

o_O