Why the offense probably won’t be cured by a new OC

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Our passing offense suks because of our passer. It limits the plays we can call.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
I expect offensive improvement, no matter who the OC is, for a couple of reasons:

First, I think our Oline will be better. Maybe top 5 unit again. Getting Fred back will be huge. Looney is solid, but not close to our a healthy Fredbeard. I also expect Williams to be improved and I think Collins will have his best year, as he is in his contract year. Lastly, we will have an entire offseason with an Oline coach that uses the system the guys know. No more experiments with the Oline.

Second, Dak will have an entire offseason to work with Cooper and Gallup. Both of whom could get 1000 yard seasons.

Third, I'm hoping for a at least a few more wrinkles from our new OC. Even just a few new elements will help. IF it's Moore, I would, at very least, expect some of the Boise concepts that gets receivers open by confusing defenses pre-snap. And, I would hope the new OC could play to Daks strengths a bit more.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
I disagree Greggo. I think Dak is good enough to win in this league. He’s not elite but he’s better than too many here discount.
No he's not. He just gets people emotionally invested by making just enough plays that make most forget he is usually just average. He is Alex Smith average but like I said makes just enough exciting plays that most forgive the stuff hat happens more often with him. Just read a game thread to see it in action lol.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The greater the team around Dak the greater the results. We saw what adding Cooper did , what we had in 2016 along with what happened in 2015 when that was taken away.

Coaching isn’t going to fix it. An All World talent around him might.

We are so determined to prove Dak is the one it might take 10 great players around him. Instead of finding 1 great QB. Good luck!!

BleedinBlue

Reaction score
The greater the team around Dak the greater the results. We saw what adding Cooper did , what we had in 2016 along with what happened in 2015 when that was taken away.

Coaching isn’t going to fix it. An All World talent around him might.

We are so determined to prove Dak is the one it might take 10 great players around him. Instead of finding 1 great QB. Good luck!!
I wonder what the percentage of great players to great Qb's is league wide ?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Hate to say it my fellow Cowboys fans but hoping we get a new OC that will make our offense more like the other successful NFL offenses like the rams, saints or chiefs is probably not going to happen.

Why?

1. Because the offensive woes are a philosophical problem that originates with the head coach.
Garrett is a conservative head coach who will NEVER coach any other way. He won’t hire an OC who wants to “open things up” offensively because that’s not Garrett. He likes to play a certain way- specifically run the ball, get the lead, control the clock, take few chances, and trust your defense to hold on or your offense to simply dominate TOP. Being offensively aggressive is not in his nature.

2. Because this team is invested to run the ball.
There are 4 first round picks in the last 7 drafts that are directly tied to having a dominant running game. Having Zeke and 3 first round OL is great except for the fact that that style of football requires your OL to physically dominate opponents, which is extremely difficult in a league where being physically dominant to win is very difficult to maintain an entire season. The NFL is a league where winning in the playoffs requires you to be able to score in different ways- by both the run and pass.

3. Because if Garrett only has one year to turn this around, he wants to do it “his way”.
Doing it “his way” means Garrett won’t trust hiring some OC that doesn’t align to his philosophy. If Garrett’s butt is on the line, I think he will be more “Garrett-like” rather than less.

For those reasons, I think Kellen Moore is Garrett’s guy as new OC. He can control Moore easier than some new guru coming from the outside. But unfortunately I expect to see pretty much the same offense next year with perhaps a few minor wrinkles.

I sure hope I’m wrong.

Always hard to know who has and will control what around here.

But we could improve play calling within the existing playbook. It's not like we don't have plays to do what a lot of us want. It's not like we never call those plays. We just don't call them enough.

That could be because of directives from the top too, instead of Linehan. Hard to tell.

But if we go in house, I'm not expecting much of a change unless it's Sanjay.

Going inhouse during the season to replace Linehan only made sense. Doing it in the offseason indicates we aren't that interested in changing anything. Or that's how I'm betting until we hear otherwise, and I probably won't really believe until I see it in games. But it could happen.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hate to say it my fellow Cowboys fans but hoping we get a new OC that will make our offense more like the other successful NFL offenses like the rams, saints or chiefs is probably not going to happen.

Why?

1. Because the offensive woes are a philosophical problem that originates with the head coach.
Garrett is a conservative head coach who will NEVER coach any other way. He won’t hire an OC who wants to “open things up” offensively because that’s not Garrett. He likes to play a certain way- specifically run the ball, get the lead, control the clock, take few chances, and trust your defense to hold on or your offense to simply dominate TOP. Being offensively aggressive is not in his nature.

There are 4 first round picks in the last 7 drafts that are directly tied to having a dominant running game. Having Zeke and 3 first round OL is great except for the fact that that style of football requires your OL to physically dominate opponents, which is extremely difficult in a league where being physically dominant to win is very difficult to maintain an entire season. The NFL is a league where winning in the playoffs requires you to be able to score in different ways- by both the run and pass.

3. Because if Garrett only has one year to turn this around, he wants to do it “his way”.
Doing it “his way” means Garrett won’t trust hiring some OC that doesn’t align to his philosophy. If Garrett’s butt is on the line, I think he will be more “Garrett-like” rather than less.

For those reasons, I think Kellen Moore is Garrett’s guy as new OC. He can control Moore easier than some new guru coming from the outside. But unfortunately I expect to see pretty much the same offense next year with perhaps a few minor wrinkles.

I sure hope I’m wrong.

My responses to each of these ...

1. The philosophy you attribute to Garrett was not the philosophy Garrett was married to when he was calling plays. I think he does, in general, want to have a strong running game, but when he was calling plays he was known not to stick with the run throughout a game. He was actually thought to be pass happy, and the team would throw the ball 60-65% of the time some seasons.

2. Part of my response is the same as my response to #1, but I would add that having a strong running game doesn't prohibit having a strong passing game - that here are ways to become a more potent passing team and still have the running game as a key element. The Rams and Steelers are two teams that are able to have both a strong passing game and running game.

3. It could go the way you mentioned, or the other possibility is Garrett could think if he has only one year left to turn the offense around, he can't keep doing exactly the same thing that put him in the position where he has only one year. It could be that it forces him to step outside what he's been doing and take a chance.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Always hard to know who has and will control what around here.

But we could improve play calling within the existing playbook. It's not like we don't have plays to do what a lot of us want. It's not like we never call those plays. We just don't call them enough.

That could be because of directives from the top too, instead of Linehan. Hard to tell.

But if we go in house, I'm not expecting much of a change unless it's Sanjay.

Going inhouse during the season to replace Linehan only made sense. Doing it in the offseason indicates we aren't that interested in changing anything. Or that's how I'm betting until we hear otherwise, and I probably won't really believe until I see it in games. But it could happen.
Who controls things around here? Come on man, we know it’s Jerry. It’s one of the biggest reasons this is a dysfunctional organization and why we can’t seem to get past the divisional round of the playoffs.

StarHead69

Reaction score
I hope the new OC realizes that it’s ok to do things Linehan refused to do:
1. Run a wide variety of plays from a limited amount of formations. (Run&Pass)
2. Refrain from telegraphing plays due to the players on the field. If you run 90% of the time player “x” is out there... it’s not too hard to defend.
3. Be ready to go up-tempo when you get a clear matchup advantage.
4. Adjust your play calling to take advantage of ingame defensive injuries.

Anyone worth his salt could do these basic things, linehan seemingly could/would not... that’s why I hated him as a Cowboy.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Who controls things around here? Come on man, we know it’s Jerry. It’s one of the biggest reasons this is a dysfunctional organization and why we can’t seem to get past the divisional round of the playoffs.

Bottom line, it's Jerry. But he does delegate. He's not calling plays on Sunday. Probably not designing offensive schemes either. Will what be Garrett? The new OC? That's what I meant by "who controls what". All sorts of decisions are made. Jerry does not make every last one.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Bottom line, it's Jerry. But he does delegate. He's not calling plays on Sunday. Probably not designing offensive schemes either. Will what be Garrett? The new OC? That's what I meant by "who controls what". All sorts of decisions are made. Jerry does not make every last one.
Of course he doesn’t but I think it’s reasonable to believe he sets a course or agenda.

If he’s taking away play calling from a HC he’s much more involved in day to day operations and Game Day operations than most of us would feel comfortable with. Enough to undermine the normal authority of the HC and staff.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
I took the complaints to be about throwing at the wrong times. My point isn’t that we shouldn’t be a run dominant team, but that we should be more than just that.

I heard Troy Aikman say in an interview today something that made a lot of sense. Those 90s teams didn’t throw a lot but when they did, it was aggressive. Taking chances at the right time is good offense. Think about what Norv Turner did in that 92 NFC championship game when we were backed up inside the 20 and SF had all the momentum. On first down, Troy threw that slant to Alvin Harper for like 70 yards. Garrett would have called a conservative run there. That’s what being aggressive is all about.

I remember their first SB Win where Irvin was featured and they were throwing the ball more than any point I can recall in season. Their take a shot was normally Irvin or Harper deep and then Emmitt taking it into the end zone.

Anytime they were insides the 10 it was a high probability TD

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Why?

I sure hope I’m wrong.
Depressing ! LOL, but it's only footall, welp

Zman5

Reaction score
It was more about when he chose to throw it. 1st and goal at the 3 doesn't call for three straight passes, but that's Garrett ball.

You forgot to mention he did this from a shotgun with empty backfield.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
It really depends on if the new OC actually uses Dak properly, RPO's, play action, let him use those legs!
I don't think that's what SKY BOX COMMAND is really wanting to see happen on a continuous basis, as it will expose him to needless risk of possible injury ,,,thats just the VIBE I've picked up on,thougho_O

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
I don't think that's what SKY BOX COMMAND is really wanting to see happen on a continuous basis, as it will expose him to needless risk of possible injury ,,,thats just the VIBE I've picked up on,thougho_O

Dak is 240 as big or bigger than most the Lb’s but you may be right my friend though it will cost them further if they do not utilize this aspect of his game.

Macnalty

Reaction score
You forgot one key cause why this offense will probably not improve . Our QB..
I think it is more our scheme on offense. I do agree our ball delivery system to the WR is not accurate and precise, hopefully he improves and the schemes take advantage of what his prime skill set provides with the best in NFL running back, and pro bowl WR.