CFZ Why the packers are my original most-hated team

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
In 1966, the Dallas Cowboys became the most exciting team in the NFL.

I was only 8 years old but I was thrilled by the first pro sports team I had ever seen in person. I had seen several games with my dad at the Cotton Bowl starting in 1964. But in ‘66 my family had moved away from the D/FW area and I could only watch the Cowboys on my parents black and white TV.

That ‘66 season, Tom Landry’s innovative offense led the league in scoring, passing, total offense, and point differential. QB “Dandy” Don Meredith threw 27 TDs in 14 games, 13 of them to my first sports hero, “Bullet” Bob Hayes. Bullet scored on a 95 yard TD pass that yr which was one of the most exciting plays in Cowboys history. RB Don Perkins was a punishing runner who scored 8 TDs himself.

Landry’s innovative flex defense was a run stuffing machine, holding opponents to only 84 yards a game. These guys became the original “Doomsday Defense”. Sacks were not kept in those days but the Cowboys D behind the great HOFer Bob Lily and pass rush monster Willie Townes would have led the league. Future HOFer Mel Renfro was a great cover corner.

The only thing standing in the way of the Cowboys winning the NFL (this was before the merger) and playing the AFL champ in SB I were the GB packers, the defending champs led by MVP Bart Starr and legendary coach Vince Lombardi.

The championship game was played in Dallas, in the Cotton Bowl on Jan. 1, 1967.

The Cowboys overcame a 14-0 early deficit to tie it in the second qtr. Then trailed again 34-20 in the 4th. But scored to make it 34-27 on a 65 yd bomb from Meredith to TE Frank Clarke with about 5 min left. After forcing a packers punt, the Cowboys got the ball back with a chance to tie with about 3 min left. They drove methodically down the field and had a first and goal inside the ten with less than a minute left.

A false start and a few short gains, the Cowboys faced 4th down at the two yard line with no timeouts and just seconds left. On 4th down Meredith did a rollout to the right but packer LB Dave Robinson was draped all over him and his desperate pass in the end zone was intercepted. I had my first sports cry that day.

The packers went on to SB I two weeks later and beat the chiefs 35-10. We could have won that first SB.

I hated the packers.

Exactly 364 days later, on Dec. 31st, 1967, the Cowboys had their chance at revenge, facing the pack again for the NFL championship, this time in GB. Today, it is famously known as “The Ice Bowl.” At kickoff the temperature was -13 below, with a -30 wind chill.

I won’t go into all the details of that game, but in similar fashion to the prior game the Cowboys had overcome a 14 point deficit to take a17-14 lead with 3 min left on RB Dan Reeves gadget play pass to WR Lance Rentzl. All we had to do was hold them one more time. You know the story. The packers scored with 9 seconds left on a Bart Starr QB sneak. I had an even bigger sports cry that day.

Of course the pack went on to win SB II against the raiders two weeks later 33-14. We should have been there. The Lombardi Trophy could have been called “The Landry Trophy”.

Sports is full of “could have been moments” though, right?

The Green Bay Packers were my original most hated team. As a kid, those packers were the most “hate”I ever felt for an opposing team…well…maybe later it was the deadskins, lol.

This Sunday I’ll remember those old ghosts of the old days with the hope the Cowboys can settle some old scores from the distant past.

I wish I had the elegance, for writing like you do.

Great story my cowboy brother. My daughter has 790 on her English SATs. She works for Hasbro she’s Is the head rider for games. I don’t know where she got that from lol.

We’re definitely in the same age bracket. So many games so many seasons. But I truly believe I’ll never forget the great ones. If only some of these youngsters could’ve watched Landry’s flex defense when it was first born.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I had a Green Bay uniform including helmet. That had to be probably 1962 63. 10 years old. Then I went in the military at 17. And overseas all you could watch was the Cowboys. How can I not love the star and captain America. the label Cowboys could never win the big win. Made me love the underdog that much more. But it was Pittsburgh that I truly despised.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Let me kindly remind you of the fact, that the people from those days weren't such wussies as we are today. When it comes to coping with cold / heat, enduring pain, eating the basic stuff / shopping habbits (they didn't have anything anytime instantly), taking insults or jokes... all that. I was born in '79 so I consider myself a little more "battle hardened" in these areas compared to the kids today. But compared to my grandpa I'm still a wuss, lol.
Thank you for being honest. But you’re not a wuss you just prove it.

Flamma

Reaction score
In 1966, the Dallas Cowboys became the most exciting team in the NFL.

I was only 8 years old but I was thrilled by the first pro sports team I had ever seen in person. I had seen several games with my dad at the Cotton Bowl starting in 1964. But in ‘66 my family had moved away from the D/FW area and I could only watch the Cowboys on my parents black and white TV.

That ‘66 season, Tom Landry’s innovative offense led the league in scoring, passing, total offense, and point differential. QB “Dandy” Don Meredith threw 27 TDs in 14 games, 13 of them to my first sports hero, “Bullet” Bob Hayes. Bullet scored on a 95 yard TD pass that yr which was one of the most exciting plays in Cowboys history. RB Don Perkins was a punishing runner who scored 8 TDs himself.

Landry’s innovative flex defense was a run stuffing machine, holding opponents to only 84 yards a game. These guys became the original “Doomsday Defense”. Sacks were not kept in those days but the Cowboys D behind the great HOFer Bob Lily and pass rush monster Willie Townes would have led the league. Future HOFer Mel Renfro was a great cover corner.

The only thing standing in the way of the Cowboys winning the NFL (this was before the merger) and playing the AFL champ in SB I were the GB packers, the defending champs led by MVP Bart Starr and legendary coach Vince Lombardi.

The championship game was played in Dallas, in the Cotton Bowl on Jan. 1, 1967.

The Cowboys overcame a 14-0 early deficit to tie it in the second qtr. Then trailed again 34-20 in the 4th. But scored to make it 34-27 on a 65 yd bomb from Meredith to TE Frank Clarke with about 5 min left. After forcing a packers punt, the Cowboys got the ball back with a chance to tie with about 3 min left. They drove methodically down the field and had a first and goal inside the ten with less than a minute left.

A false start and a few short gains, the Cowboys faced 4th down at the two yard line with no timeouts and just seconds left. On 4th down Meredith did a rollout to the right but packer LB Dave Robinson was draped all over him and his desperate pass in the end zone was intercepted. I had my first sports cry that day.

The packers went on to SB I two weeks later and beat the chiefs 35-10. We could have won that first SB.

I hated the packers.

Exactly 364 days later, on Dec. 31st, 1967, the Cowboys had their chance at revenge, facing the pack again for the NFL championship, this time in GB. Today, it is famously known as “The Ice Bowl.” At kickoff the temperature was -13 below, with a -30 wind chill.

I won’t go into all the details of that game, but in similar fashion to the prior game the Cowboys had overcome a 14 point deficit to take a17-14 lead with 3 min left on RB Dan Reeves gadget play pass to WR Lance Rentzl. All we had to do was hold them one more time. You know the story. The packers scored with 9 seconds left on a Bart Starr QB sneak. I had an even bigger sports cry that day.

Of course the pack went on to win SB II against the raiders two weeks later 33-14. We should have been there. The Lombardi Trophy could have been called “The Landry Trophy”.

Sports is full of “could have been moments” though, right?

The Green Bay Packers were my original most hated team. As a kid, those packers were the most “hate”I ever felt for an opposing team…well…maybe later it was the deadskins, lol.

This Sunday I’ll remember those old ghosts of the old days with the hope the Cowboys can settle some old scores from the distant past.

This brings back memories to my youth. Living on the east coast, and to my father's horror, I became a Cowboys fan really young. Hey, it was him that got me into sports. I was 8 years old when I watched them lose to the Steelers in Super Bowl X. Then I watched them lose again to the Steelers a few years later. So it shouldn't come as a surprise to you who I have a deep seeded dislike for.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
GB was also my 1st most hated team, though I really did not hate them, more of a strong dislike. Steelers was my real 1st most hated team for several reasons.

I was 7 for the 1st game Dallas & GB and remember watching with my dad and 3 older brothers, vaguely. However the next year, the ice bowl, I remember more about.
My brother kept going on about Bart Starr and GB. I was rooting for Dallas. Since that game I never liked GB. But more so in the last 20 years or so more then back then. But always wanted them to lose since then.
After the game though my brothers did not tease me or anything about Dallas losing. They really din't say much of anything. But I told them, well Dallas is the team of the future, GB will be has beens.

Steelers, Now when the Bengals started up, growing up just North of Cincinnati, myself and 2 of my brothers started following them, my other brother stuck with the Browns, and it is still that way.
This was 1968. Then is 1970 with the merger. Bengals - Steelers rivalry was born, then of course the 2 Dallas SB losses to them.

So those are my 2 most hated teams, as well my dislike for the divisional teams. Even to this day though the Cardinals is not in the division anymore, I don't have too much like for them at times. Though I do pull for them to win at certain times. Since I hate SF as well. But not so much as back in the 80's and 90's.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You must have loved the 8 straight wins we got on the Packers in the 90s. That Championship game in '95 must have made you feel a little better. Super Bowl XXX made me feel 10% better.
Yeah it did. Honestly the toughest loss I ever felt as a Cowboys fan was SB XIII against the Steelers. I really thought we were gonna win that one. It determined who would be “The Team of the 70s”. Still hurts. Roger Staubach says to this day it’s the toughest loss he ever felt.

Flamma

Reaction score
Yeah it did. Honestly the toughest loss I ever felt as a Cowboys fan was SB XIII against the Steelers. I really thought we were gonna win that one. It determined who would be “The Team of the 70s”. Still hurts. Roger Staubach says to this day it’s the toughest loss he ever felt.

It was an agonizing loss. Especially after we got the 14-7 lead and it looked like Bradshaw got his bell rung. Man was my euphoria short lived. You know, Terry is very fortunate he had a WR by the name of Stallworth. I know Lynn Swann is supposed to be their great WR, but damnit i thought John was better. The dude had breakaway game speed. No one is catching him. It reminds me of when people say Jerry Rice wasn't that fast. Yeah, his 40 time wasn't. But are you watching the games? I never saw anyone not named Darrell Green run him down. Game speed is a completely different animal.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
I wouldn't say I hate the Packers. I do hate the way Lombardi is seen as a coaching god when Landry influenced the game much more. We still see his innovations in football today. The same can't be said about Lombardi.

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
Great thread. Besides my overwhelming hate for the Philthy NFL franchise I can then lump the Stealers and the Acme ***** Packers on a tier just a bit below Philthy. Slighty .

Since my birthday is mid Dec I had just turned 13 for the 1966 championship game. My family were not football people but ate, drank, and breathed MLB. (Saturday with Dizzy Dean and Pee Wee Reese sponsored by Falstaff). I started the family down the path to Cowboy Fandom. I wish I had a recording of my grandfather cussing Craig Morton and biching about Tom Landry kicking FG's. Those 60's losses hurt. Later a big blowout by Cleveland stung badly too (68?).

The losses after the 2014 and 2016 hurt . . . bad, real bad. And although I respect the football abilities of AR I despise him along with his team. I want to see theGB team mutilated with a 50 burger and Rodgers sacked and beat up. May not happen but it would make me gleeful I tell you, utterly gleeful.

Won't speak to the 70's SB's other than to say they left a dark spot in my heart for our opponent and especially Jack Lambert.

That's where I'm at with feelings toward these Darth Vader teams. Rest of the League, I can despise them for a while then it's just a "MEH". But my big 3 . . . The sinister feelings never go away. We play one of those this Sunday. Krush 'em Cowboys!!!!

Last edited:

HeavyBarrel

Reaction score
The Packers are the “teacher’s pet” of the NFL…..Granted their unique ownership may be a factor but do they ever go “against the grain” on any league issue?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Packers are the “teacher’s pet” of the NFL…..Granted their unique ownership may be a factor but do they ever go “against the grain” on any league issue?
Actually their unique ownership and management situation has made them very often be “against the grain” with the other billionaire owners who don’t like anything they can’t control. GB is kind of like the middle class guy who gets in an elite fraternity among all the trust fund kids. They are not loved by the owners.

HeavyBarrel

Reaction score
Actually their unique ownership and management situation has made them very often be “against the grain” with the other billionaire owners who don’t like anything they can’t control. GB is kind of like the middle class guy who gets in an elite fraternity among all the trust fund kids. They are not loved by the owners.
Yea that’s my perception that they never go “against the grain” but I could very much be wrong due to the unique ownership

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’ve just never hated teams or rivals, etc.

Now I hate some of their fans as I’ve traveled to many on the road and attended home games for most of 5 decades . I had to have some of them removed and a few arrested . Some just have to rile up opposing fans . Like bully’s at school.

But hating teams seems silly to me . Instead I embrace the rivalries and the spirit of competition we have had and still enjoy. Look at how players after the games enjoy the camaraderie hugging and shaking hands with sportsmanlike behavior.

While I’ve never rooted for another team but the Cowboys some of my favorite players to watch were on other teams.