CFZ Why the packers are my original most-hated team

Doomsday101

Reaction score
as a kid I "hated" certain teams but as I got older I realized that is was more respect than "Hate" 49ers yeah wanted to beat them in the worst way but in the end I always respected their players and their team, to beat them was a great accomplishment. For me it was the same with Pitt, GB and some others. As for Hate yeah I hated the skins and the Eagles. Guys like Gorge Allen and Buddy Ryan made it personal

Fritsch_the_cat

Reaction score
Washington will always be the original hate for me, no matter what they call themselves. Dirone Talbert can stick it where the sun don't shine.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
These type rivalries we have had over the years with the Packers, 49ers , Steelers and our divisional foes are the contest we look most forward to. They get our adrenaline flowing.

We embrace playing these teams. Much like in college and high school the rivalries games are the ones we look most forward to.

Maybe we just hate losing to them. But why hate some of the individual players or teams. It’s not their fault for the most part they are on those teams. We really should learn to readjust our emotions and direct them in a more positive direction in the spirit of competition.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
as a kid I "hated" certain teams but as I got older I realized that is was more respect than "Hate" 49ers yeah wanted to beat them in the worst way but in the end I always respected their players and their team, to beat them was a great accomplishment. For me it was the same with Pitt, GB and some others. As for Hate yeah I hated the skins and the Eagles. Guys like Gorge Allen and Buddy Ryan made it personal
Right. We hated losing to 49ers and Montana but we relished the competition and as we look back we probably marveled at watching one of the best QB’s perform.

Those opposing HC’s were just fierce competitors and hated losing to the Cowboys and what our popularity and success represented .

This use of “ hate” is extremely over used in fans and people in general this generation describing their rival teams or adversaries. When actually it’s these teams and rivals we embrace the most. We just hate losing to them. Bragging rights is a huge part of being a fan.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
While I am on board with GB hate, for me, it was CLE before them because they always had the Cowboys number. The Cowboys were not as good in those early 60’s either.

I think the thing that irritated me the most was the attitude of CLE, GB and PIT when they played the Cowboys, they oozed confidence. It was as if they knew something.

Having Aarongant Rodgers on GB completes it for me. The overdone closeups helps a lot with my cussing him.

quickccc

Reaction score
the '67 and Ice Bowl game was even before my birth and existence. so that's way too deep for me..
I didn't have a dislike for the Packers until Rodgers knocked out of the playoffs in both 2014,..and 2016 respectively.
Plus Rodgers is a personal jerk, so their own my hit list.

My most All Time hated NFL team era:

1) Joe Theismann and the Fun Bunch and the Hogs,
2) Joe Montana per heart breaking " The Catch ' in 1981 playoffs
3) Buddy Ryan's Bad Boys
4) Rodgers per 2014, 2016 playoff exit.
5) Tom Brady- Bill Belichek era
6) Any NFC team that had Terrell Owens on it (Niners, Philly)
7) Vermeil, Jaworski Eagles team in the 80's
8; Steve Young' Deion/Rice/ Watters Niners
9. Brandon Jacobs/Eli Manning NYG team
10. Bucs Gruden/Tampa Bay 2 team

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Right. We hated losing to 49ers and Montana but we relished the competition and as we look back we probably marveled at watching one of the best QB’s perform.

Those opposing HC’s were just fierce competitors and hated losing to the Cowboys and what our popularity and success represented .

This use of “ hate” is extremely over used in fans and people in general this generation describing their rival teams or adversaries. When actually it’s these teams and rivals we embrace the most. We just hate losing to them. Bragging rights is a huge part of being a fan.

Buddy Ryan I hated, lol I respected his ability as a DC but I did not like the man.

Motorola

Reaction score
In 1966, the Dallas Cowboys became the most exciting team in the NFL.

I was only 8 years old but I was thrilled by the first pro sports team I had ever seen in person. I had seen several games with my dad at the Cotton Bowl starting in 1964. But in ‘66 my family had moved away from the D/FW area and I could only watch the Cowboys on my parents black and white TV.

That ‘66 season, Tom Landry’s innovative offense led the league in scoring, passing, total offense, and point differential. QB “Dandy” Don Meredith threw 27 TDs in 14 games, 13 of them to my first sports hero, “Bullet” Bob Hayes. Bullet scored on a 95 yard TD pass that yr which was one of the most exciting plays in Cowboys history. RB Don Perkins was a punishing runner who scored 8 TDs himself.

Landry’s innovative flex defense was a run stuffing machine, holding opponents to only 84 yards a game. These guys became the original “Doomsday Defense”. Sacks were not kept in those days but the Cowboys D behind the great HOFer Bob Lily and pass rush monster Willie Townes would have led the league. Future HOFer Mel Renfro was a great cover corner.

The only thing standing in the way of the Cowboys winning the NFL (this was before the merger) and playing the AFL champ in SB I were the GB packers, the defending champs led by MVP Bart Starr and legendary coach Vince Lombardi.

The championship game was played in Dallas, in the Cotton Bowl on Jan. 1, 1967.

The Cowboys overcame a 14-0 early deficit to tie it in the second qtr. Then trailed again 34-20 in the 4th. But scored to make it 34-27 on a 65 yd bomb from Meredith to TE Frank Clarke with about 5 min left. After forcing a packers punt, the Cowboys got the ball back with a chance to tie with about 3 min left. They drove methodically down the field and had a first and goal inside the ten with less than a minute left.

A false start and a few short gains, the Cowboys faced 4th down at the two yard line with no timeouts and just seconds left. On 4th down Meredith did a rollout to the right but packer LB Dave Robinson was draped all over him and his desperate pass in the end zone was intercepted. I had my first sports cry that day.

The packers went on to SB I two weeks later and beat the chiefs 35-10. We could have won that first SB.

I hated the packers.

Exactly 364 days later, on Dec. 31st, 1967, the Cowboys had their chance at revenge, facing the pack again for the NFL championship, this time in GB. Today, it is famously known as “The Ice Bowl.” At kickoff the temperature was -13 below, with a -30 wind chill.

I won’t go into all the details of that game, but in similar fashion to the prior game the Cowboys had overcome a 14 point deficit to take a17-14 lead with 3 min left on RB Dan Reeves gadget play pass to WR Lance Rentzl. All we had to do was hold them one more time. You know the story. The packers scored with 9 seconds left on a Bart Starr QB sneak. I had an even bigger sports cry that day.

Of course the pack went on to win SB II against the raiders two weeks later 33-14. We should have been there. The Lombardi Trophy could have been called “The Landry Trophy”.

Sports is full of “could have been moments” though, right?

The Green Bay Packers were my original most hated team. As a kid, those packers were the most “hate”I ever felt for an opposing team…well…maybe later it was the deadskins, lol.

This Sunday I’ll remember those old ghosts of the old days with the hope the Cowboys can settle some old scores from the distant past.
Ah, Bobhaze...thanks for the stroll down memory lane...however unpleasant the end of the path was.
Adding to the those storied seasons was that the Cowboys became an NFL power just a half dozen years after coming into the league as an expansion team. Dallas stepped in and up to challenge the long supremacy of "Titletown" and the lauded "Lambeau Field".

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I'm far too young to remember the Landry Era, but part of what attracted me to the Cowboys in the first place is the mythical air that seems to hang around this franchise. Tom Landry, Roger Staubach, Bob Lily, and the rest of the greats that came before still loom large over Dallas.

It is almost without question that Dallas and Green Bay are the two most storied franchises in pro football. Their histories will always be intertwined and it is a rivalry that has transcended generations of fans.

Here's to hoping Sunday can mark a turning of the page in Cowboys history. The last 2 decades have not been kind to this team and for the first time in a while it looks like they are primed to build a lasting contender.

bonafidebanter

Reaction score
In 1966, the Dallas Cowboys became the most exciting team in the NFL.

I was only 8 years old but I was thrilled by the first pro sports team I had ever seen in person. I had seen several games with my dad at the Cotton Bowl starting in 1964. But in ‘66 my family had moved away from the D/FW area and I could only watch the Cowboys on my parents black and white TV.

That ‘66 season, Tom Landry’s innovative offense led the league in scoring, passing, total offense, and point differential. QB “Dandy” Don Meredith threw 27 TDs in 14 games, 13 of them to my first sports hero, “Bullet” Bob Hayes. Bullet scored on a 95 yard TD pass that yr which was one of the most exciting plays in Cowboys history. RB Don Perkins was a punishing runner who scored 8 TDs himself.

Landry’s innovative flex defense was a run stuffing machine, holding opponents to only 84 yards a game. These guys became the original “Doomsday Defense”. Sacks were not kept in those days but the Cowboys D behind the great HOFer Bob Lily and pass rush monster Willie Townes would have led the league. Future HOFer Mel Renfro was a great cover corner.

The only thing standing in the way of the Cowboys winning the NFL (this was before the merger) and playing the AFL champ in SB I were the GB packers, the defending champs led by MVP Bart Starr and legendary coach Vince Lombardi.

The championship game was played in Dallas, in the Cotton Bowl on Jan. 1, 1967.

The Cowboys overcame a 14-0 early deficit to tie it in the second qtr. Then trailed again 34-20 in the 4th. But scored to make it 34-27 on a 65 yd bomb from Meredith to TE Frank Clarke with about 5 min left. After forcing a packers punt, the Cowboys got the ball back with a chance to tie with about 3 min left. They drove methodically down the field and had a first and goal inside the ten with less than a minute left.

A false start and a few short gains, the Cowboys faced 4th down at the two yard line with no timeouts and just seconds left. On 4th down Meredith did a rollout to the right but packer LB Dave Robinson was draped all over him and his desperate pass in the end zone was intercepted. I had my first sports cry that day.

The packers went on to SB I two weeks later and beat the chiefs 35-10. We could have won that first SB.

I hated the packers.

Exactly 364 days later, on Dec. 31st, 1967, the Cowboys had their chance at revenge, facing the pack again for the NFL championship, this time in GB. Today, it is famously known as “The Ice Bowl.” At kickoff the temperature was -13 below, with a -30 wind chill.

I won’t go into all the details of that game, but in similar fashion to the prior game the Cowboys had overcome a 14 point deficit to take a17-14 lead with 3 min left on RB Dan Reeves gadget play pass to WR Lance Rentzl. All we had to do was hold them one more time. You know the story. The packers scored with 9 seconds left on a Bart Starr QB sneak. I had an even bigger sports cry that day.

Of course the pack went on to win SB II against the raiders two weeks later 33-14. We should have been there. The Lombardi Trophy could have been called “The Landry Trophy”.

Sports is full of “could have been moments” though, right?

The Green Bay Packers were my original most hated team. As a kid, those packers were the most “hate”I ever felt for an opposing team…well…maybe later it was the deadskins, lol.

This Sunday I’ll remember those old ghosts of the old days with the hope the Cowboys can settle some old scores from the distant past.

Cool story bro. Love it!

dogberry

Reaction score
Probably the Browns. But those memories are so old that they are in a previous body.