Why this team is not a threat to contend for a Super Bowl

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Seems like we had penalty issues with Wade and Bill.

Can anyone provide some stats to dispute this narrative?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
2018 - 12th fewest penalties in the league
2017 - 11th
2016 - 15th

Certainly nothing to brag about but in recent history the cowboys have been better than average in this category.

Also the cowboys opponents this year have 7.2 penalties per game, the cowboys have 8.0, not a major difference. I think the nfl has a penalty problem more so than the cowboys.

And just for fun the least penalized team in the league is none other than the super successful miami dolphins.
Please, no facts please that don’t support the narrative here. Lol

Well done!!

nobody

Reaction score
I'm of the mindset that these are professionals who know the rules, so unless the coaches are giving them incorrect information on proper alignment, blocking without holding, and all the other stuff that we fans even know, I don't understand the concept of blaming the coaches.......especially the head coach, who isn't working as closely as the coordinators.

Honestly, I attribute it to a lack of focus brought on by the culture generated by Jerry and propagated (because he was told to) by Garrett.

shabazz

Reaction score
and this guy could be another reason the season ends before the SB

source.gif

Sydla

Reaction score
The larger issue is that when you get to the playoffs, coaching then is at a premium because talent advantages tend to start to get mitigated because most playoff teams have talented rosters.

And until Garrett and this staff can show they can consistently draw up good game plans, make the right in game adjustments, mitigate any tells or predictability they have shown in the past, it's hard to be confident that this team can win 2-3 playoff games in a row.

Sydla

Reaction score
And just for fun the least penalized team in the league is none other than the super successful miami dolphins.

Which is likely an anomaly. Because arguably the two best teams in the NFL - Pats and 49ers - are bottom five in penalties and the top 5 teams in penalties are all not all that good - Cleveland, Jets, Tampa Bay, Oakland, Atlanta.

There are only two teams with winning records in the Top 10............... us and Houston. All the other teams with the most penalties in the Top 10 are .500 or below.

And if you look at the bottom ten teams in terms of penalties, 6 of the bottom 10 have winning records.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Which is likely an anomaly. Because arguably the two best teams in the NFL - Pats and 49ers - are bottom five in penalties and the top 5 teams in penalties are all not all that good - Cleveland, Jets, Tampa Bay, Oakland, Atlanta.

There are only two teams with winning records in the Top 10............... us and Houston. All the other teams with the most penalties in the Top 10 are .500 or below.

And if you look at the bottom ten teams in terms of penalties, 6 of the bottom 10 have winning records.
I agree with most of what you're saying. My bigger point was that 8 games is a rough sample size. Overall the cowboys have been in the middle of the pack and are only about 1 penalty per game from being in that area again.

Penalties are up throughout the league this year. Refs are being very liberal in calling games, and we are increasingly seeing teams push the boundaries on pick plays, etc.

I'm not sure it's a discipline issue. Sure you can find examples of that, but nothing extreme.

lopey

Reaction score
10 penalties for 103 yards

We committed these idiotic penalties and got away last night because we were playing the hapless Giants. But you do that against quality opponents and you will get your head handed to you. What is worse, is that there is not one iota of improvement in this category. Since the time Garrett was hired as coach, this team has suffered from penalties and it continues year in and year out. Short of Garrett being fired, what is it going to take to stop committing these idiotic penalties?
Yes I agree that this team is very undiciplined under this coaching staff...

dckid

Reaction score
Yes I agree that this team is very undiciplined under this coaching staff...

We are very close approximation of San Diego/ LA Chargers of the NFC. This team has tantalizing talent.
The difference is our lack of culture and leadership which a couple of other posters have mentioned. To me it's always about culture.
Culture eats strategy for breakfast. From the owner down to the HC and players, there is no level of accountability.
Right now the Cowboys are on a upswing. Garrett has been the beneficiary of Romo and then falling into Dak. A good QB will solve a lot of problems your team has.
The problem is I don't know what kind of SB run window this team has. It's obvious.. if I was Jerry I would have fired Garrett and hired a better coach. The team takes on the personality of the coach and QB. Luckily we have a QB that actually has leadership qualities.
Imagine if we had a Payton or Shanahan as coach? We would be considered the favorite from the NFC. Even Jerry's ego should be able to absorb that?
Frank Reich would have us competing for a SB!!!! Andy Reid would have deployed peak Zeke and Cooper. Our coaching is leaving meat on the bone!!!

CB61

Reaction score

We committed these idiotic penalties and got away last night because we were playing the hapless Giants. But you do that against quality opponents and you will get your head handed to you. What is worse, is that there is not one iota of improvement in this category. Since the time Garrett was hired as coach, this team has suffered from penalties and it continues year in and year out. Short of Garrett being fired, what is it going to take to stop committing these idiotic penalties?
Don't forget that we have a pee wee type football coach

landryscorner

Reaction score

inconsistent.

BigD5

Reaction score

Jason. Garrett.

That’s why