Why was Malik Hooker extended?

Jkyle

Reaction score
I've been confused as to why the Cowboys gave a 3 yr $24 million extension, $16.5 Million guaranteed.
I don't even remember hearing his name in a game except for a couple of times.
If there were going to extend him, it should've been for a lot less. He no way justifies a contract of that size.
It will be interesting to see if he will fit well in Zimmer's defense.
Another dumb contract decision by Stephen Jones.

Loso86

Reaction score
I've been confused as to why the Cowboys gave a 3 yr $24 million extension, $16.5 Million guaranteed.
If there were going to extend him, it should've been for a lot less. He no way justifies a contract of that size.
Well it's also a good thing you didn't hear his name as well right

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I have stopped trying to figure out why this front office does anything it does.

I wanna make a Jerry and Stephen loves to pay Hookers joke, but I just don't have it in me.

Jkyle

Reaction score
His 2023 stats were 50 tackles (27 solo), 3 Passes Defended, 1 interception, 1 forced fumble.
He made no big plays for a majority of the season. Yes he is "solid" but not someone worth spending that amount of Cap on.
He did a little better in 2022 but still nothing to warrant that high of an extension.

John813

Reaction score
It was a good extension.

This year he counts for 3.99mil cap hit.
Next year it's 7.75mil
Following year it's 9mil.

The top 5 AAV for safeties in the NFL is: 17.34mil
His isn't really 8mil, as he was extended and the prorated bonus kicked in last year. His true AAV off the new deal is 6.25mil.

For a decent starter, it's a great deal.
Next year he can be cut with almost 4mil in savings.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
He's a single high safety who has the range to cover the whole backfield. But that was a Quinn scheme not a Zimmer one.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
His 2023 stats were 50 tackles (27 solo), 3 Passes Defended, 1 interception, 1 forced fumble.
He made no big plays for a majority of the season. Yes he is "solid" but not someone worth spending that amount of Cap on.
He did a little better in 2022 but still nothing to warrant that high of an extension.
You don’t have a good grasp on salary and contract in the nfl if you think that’s a “high extension” it’s 8m per average which is really less but again ranked him as the number 21 highest paid safety last year and with a rising cap will make it even more palatable.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
It was a good extension.

This year he counts for 3.99mil cap hit.
Next year it's 7.75mil
Following year it's 9mil.

The top 5 AAV for safeties in the NFL is: 17.34mil
His isn't really 8mil, as he was extended and the prorated bonus kicked in last year. His true AAV off the new deal is 6.25mil.

For a decent starter, it's a great deal.
Next year he can be cut with almost 4mil in savings.
/ thread

Rayman70

Reaction score
he was extended because Jerry fell in love with him.DQ wanted him. Now Im not sure he fits. I think Junyeh Thomas might be a better player,and should be starting. Kearse has run his course btw, I think he will be gone.

Bigtex67

Reaction score
Well....I think it is because the Jones boys are quite comfortable paying Hookers........

exciter

Reaction score
Lol, team finished 5th vs the pass giving up a paltry 187 yards a game with the team playing him almost exclusively in cover 3, in charge of covering the whole backend of the field and yet our corners were rarely beat deep over the last 2 seasons. I think Zimmer is going to love having him and the confidence of being able to drop a safety down in the box when need and not have to worry about being torched over the top!

Creeper

Reaction score
Hooker is a pro's pro. They need a vet on that defense that haw a bunch of "cowboys" on it. But I admit he has not been as good as I thought he would be when they first signed him.