Why was Malik Hooker extended?

Sydla

Reaction score
Speaking of safeties Kyle Hamilton of the Ravens had one of the most dominating games I’ve seen at the position since the Woodson Lott yrs . In the playoffs against the Chiefs .

I’m sure Zimmer was brought into the conversation and asked if Hooker should be kept . I hope he was asked . The comments about Hooker being “ solid “ I just don’t see it .
He was definitely solid. And if you put stock into what PFF spits out, they had him ranked pretty high (76 or 77), granted pretty far behind Kyle Hamilton who had a rating of 86 (not surprising, as he was the most dominant S in the NFL last year).

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I've been confused as to why the Cowboys gave a 3 yr $24 million extension, $16.5 Million guaranteed.
I don't even remember hearing his name in a game except for a couple of times.
If there were going to extend him, it should've been for a lot less. He no way justifies a contract of that size.
It will be interesting to see if he will fit well in Zimmer's defense.
Another dumb contract decision by Stephen Jones.
He's been an average player. I agree he's very replaceable.

plymkr

Reaction score
You can't have superstars at every position and he's proven to be a good, reliable starter. We spent so many years with nothing at safety. Personally I'm glad they've emphasized solidifying that spot.
Yes, he’s solid and reliable and doesn’t break the bank. Good overall signing.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hang on, you're about to see a couple huge over- pays that will guarantee post season failure for years to come.
But the front office will bask in the purposed glory!!

RonWashington

Reaction score
Like I said before where was Hooker on these wide open bombs Jordan Love was trashing the art gallery with . At DB if you told me Gilmore was resigned I would be a lot more enthusiastic then Hooker coming back at safety .

RonWashington

Reaction score
He was definitely solid. And if you put stock into what PFF spits out, they had him ranked pretty high (76 or 77), granted pretty far behind Kyle Hamilton who had a rating of 86 (not surprising, as he was the most dominant S in the NFL last year).

Donovan Wilson I like and he’s the Kyle Hamilton Type on the Cowboys . Hooker being more the FS Wilson SS . Interesting to know how PFF graded Wilson

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Very much average. You would like more impact from a guy with that type of contract. He does just enough to stick around.

Sydla

Reaction score
Donovan Wilson I like and he’s the Kyle Hamilton Type on the Cowboys . Hooker being more the FS Wilson SS . Interesting to know how PFF graded Wilson
68 for Wilson.

I like Wilson but I honestly thought he stepped back a bit this year. Now in fairness to all our safeties, they probably were asked to do some things this year outside their comfort zones due to lack of LBs. But I do agree with you in that I think we are fine if we have Hooker at FS and Wilson at SS.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
I've been confused as to why the Cowboys gave a 3 yr $24 million extension, $16.5 Million guaranteed.
I don't even remember hearing his name in a game except for a couple of times.
If there were going to extend him, it should've been for a lot less. He no way justifies a contract of that size.
It will be interesting to see if he will fit well in Zimmer's defense.
Another dumb contract decision by Stephen Jones.
He will fit better in Zimmer's defense than whatever Quinn was running at the end of the season that had RBs rushing for +2K in 8 games.

Carson

Reaction score
Like I said before where was Hooker on these wide open bombs Jordan Love was trashing the art gallery with . At DB if you told me Gilmore was resigned I would be a lot more enthusiastic then Hooker coming back at safety .
It should be better this year. Zimmer runs a more traditional 2 high safety interchangeable look.

Quinn wanted to run single high all of the time

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It should be better this year. Zimmer runs a more traditional 2 high safety interchangeable look.

Quinn wanted to run single high all of the time
I think we had too many options at safety out there!! Went from having none to having 3 on the field all the time