Why was Malik Hooker extended?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I've been confused as to why the Cowboys gave a 3 yr $24 million extension, $16.5 Million guaranteed.
I don't even remember hearing his name in a game except for a couple of times.
If there were going to extend him, it should've been for a lot less. He no way justifies a contract of that size.
It will be interesting to see if he will fit well in Zimmer's defense.
Another dumb contract decision by Stephen Jones.
well, people want FAs signed. he had a name at some point. so we signed a name. fans are happy. they bought jersey's. Jerry smiled. results are irrelevant. perception matters. lets open up cap room and build a team through FA. we need FAs people say.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Thank god, I've seen enough of him.
2022 Kearse was better than 2023 one, Guess age has caught up with him, Again because of him Quinn was going for the 4-2-5 arrangement as he counted as one LB. But he didn’t have the prototype size to handle the OL , that position needs to be upgraded

ThatJerryKid

cowboys31
Reaction score
I've been confused as to why the Cowboys gave a 3 yr $24 million extension, $16.5 Million guaranteed.
If there were going to extend him, it should've been for a lot less. He no way justifies a contract of that size.
Because we’re all in.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
This is a contract that doesn’t cripple the franchise and seems to be on par with his production, so I would say this is a pretty good deal for a solid vet who is still a good player.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Because players aren't free. 3 years 24 million isn't too bad.

Sydla

Reaction score
$21MM.

And only $11MM is guaranteed if they cut him after this season. The other $5.5MM (his 2025 base salary) is only guaranteed if he's on the roster March 2025 next year. But if he's on the roster that means he likely played well for us in 2024 and we'd have to pay him a base salary anyway if we kept him so it being guaranteed if he is on the roster after March 2025 isn't that big a deal.

It was a decent deal and he was pretty good last year.

Havic

Reaction score
He’s been solid since he has been there meanwhile kearse fell off a cliff

fivetwos

Reaction score
Even if they get to where they patch all the current holes, by the time they do…safety will be a problem again.

This has been going on for quite some time.

It’s impossible to build the perfect roster and why you need to get at it while you’re close.

Mr_437

Reaction score
When you look at the Safeties who can play interchangeable in Zim's scheme Hooker n Thomas are at the top of the list imo. Also, Hooker is a veteran that's necessary in a room full of young guys. The price is ok, and Malik should get a chance to get into the action instead of just playing deep.

RonWashington

Reaction score
Speaking of safeties Kyle Hamilton of the Ravens had one of the most dominating games I’ve seen at the position since the Woodson Lott yrs . In the playoffs against the Chiefs .

I’m sure Zimmer was brought into the conversation and asked if Hooker should be kept . I hope he was asked . The comments about Hooker being “ solid “ I just don’t see it .

RonWashington

Reaction score
What’s the situation with Mukuamu . He’s not a rookie anymore and yes the limited action Thomas has seen I’ve liked what I saw . Guys like Kearse and Hooker I would have thought goodbye save cap promote some of these younger players . Against GB when Love feasted on the secondary where was Hooker ?

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Because we like our guys.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Lamb, Dak and Micah are looking at this deal and thinking, "Man, the Jones are easy."