Why we need defense in 2021

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Dak led a high powered offense yet managed an 8-8 record last year and a 1-3 record this year prior to injury.....but blame the defense all you want of course as Dak's fans need to protect their snowflake QB.
OMG, so tired of this baseless argument. first, he was 2-3. the giants win is counted towards Dak, given he started and the team was leading when he got hurt. NFL rules, not MLB.....Dalton is not a relief pitcher...

and let me ask you a question: Would brady have 6 rings if he played for Garrett and Jones in Dallas?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Also, just counting money poorly spent on defense this year, we have a good chunk of money for the defense in FA, and showed the will to use that money this year.

Jaylon, Crawford, McCoy, Poe, Dix, Griffen, Worley. 30mil(?) we got *nothing* out of.

That we've been spending so poorly on defense, both in the draft and now in FA, is a worry. But we have the ammo to make a big move.
we are just bad bad bad bad at picking defensive players in the draft and FA.....when was the last time we picked a truly impact defensive player or signed a truly impact defensive player in FA?

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
:huh:

so giving up 300 yards to Cleveland and Baltimore was because of offense!!!! what you said made ZERO sense.....unless you expect the offense to have TOP of 40 minutes
If your offense can score quickly, the other team has to mostly abandon the run game.

Jaylon doesn't get that dumb facemask against CLE, they punt, Dallas takes a two-score lead and blows them out because they have to get away from the run.

Say what you will about the Ravens run game and blah blah blah. They only scored 34 points, and 7 came on a long TD pass after a turnover. The run game only got them to 27.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
I disagree with the approach. we have so many needs that targeting a specific position in rounds is a mistake. this year's draft is thin at DT. we need an impact type player at 4/5 slot. Farley, Surtain. on the outside parsons, although I would trade down a few spots and believe parsons may still be available.

I agree with your approach some but for me if you don't fix the middle of your defense. Your defense won't be fixed. Look at all the good to great defenses. They start at DT move to linebacker then have a great safety. No need of Nickle and diming. We been doing this for 25 years! Do it right for once.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
If your offense can score quickly, the other team has to mostly abandon the run game.

Jaylon doesn't get that dumb facemask against CLE, they punt, Dallas takes a two-score lead and blows them out because they have to get away from the run.

Say what you will about the Ravens run game and blah blah blah. They only scored 34 points, and 7 came on a long TD pass after a turnover. The run game only got them to 27.
what youa re sayign makes ZERO sense.....again, you are putting the entire onus on the offense. if the other team can run the ball, they will. scores don't go 21-0 in the first quarter with the other team having one possession. when they get the ball, if they feel our offense is going to score a lot, and then know they can run the ball, what do you think they will do? they will run the ball. keep the ball away from our offense. if your defense sucks and they get possession after you score, then they will score on a longer drive, running the ball down your throat....if you can't make stops, then at some point your offense is not going to score on a drive and then you fall behind.....you can't expect an offense to score a TD on every possession. impossible. in the meantime, we have a defense that's so historically bad, it gives up a score almost every possession......you can't overcome that with any amount of trickery

you can't build a team, with one side having one weakness so bad, and then try to cover it up with smoke and mirrors....this is the NFL, opposing coaches find the weakness and they will expose it, attack it until you learn to stop it.....

in essence what you are trying to do is use smoke and mirrors...score so much, all on offense so early that the other team abandons the run game, by building leads that would be insurmountable to over come by the other team...guess what...the other teams did that to our defense...btw, our pass defense sucks too, the only reason teams aren't attacking that as much that its easier to run the ball, control the clock and maintain possession....if they had to pass, they would kill us too, ala Seattle, Atlanta, etc.

and what do you expect the offense to average about 45, 50 points a game with that approach? is that even possible. scoring 30 is considered good in the NFL. giving up 36 is considered horrendous.

and ravens scored 34 points....you said ONLY...I find that extremely funny. you have lowered the bar so much that you are proud the defense gave up 34.....do you even listen to yourself.....

btw, if you are making if then else assumptions.....if not for the long 70 yard return would we score? if not for the turnover in their end would we score? so in essence the offense mustered 7 points on their own if not for some luck..

Last edited:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I agree with your approach some but for me if you don't fix the middle of your defense. Your defense won't be fixed. Look at all the good to great defenses. They start at DT move to linebacker then have a great safety. No need of Nickle and diming. We been doing this for 25 years! Do it right for once.
oh, I fully agree. we need to fix the DTA spot, but reaching for a player because we have need, where the player is not capable is only going to lead to a bigger disappointment....so instead of trying to do a one year fix, we have to realize we need DEs, DTs, LBs, Saftey and CBS and not all can be ahd in one off season so then you take the right approach as opposed to panic approach. take what's good this draft, if its Parsons then so be it. if its a CB, saftey in rounds 2, 3 then you do that....then next draft you go after DTs, DEs.....

about 8 or 9 of what is starting today is good for depth and rotation and not starting material.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
oh, I fully agree. we need to fix the DTA spot, but reaching for a player because we have need, where the player is not capable is only going to lead to a bigger disappointment....so instead of trying to do a one year fix, we have to realize we need DEs, DTs, LBs, Saftey and CBS and not all can be ahd in one off season so then you take the right approach as opposed to panic approach. take what's good this draft, if its Parsons then so be it. if its a CB, saftey in rounds 2, 3 then you do that....then next draft you go after DTs, DEs.....

about 8 or 9 of what is starting today is good for depth and rotation and not starting material.

Nice thoughts. Maybe free agent or trade for a dominate DT. I don't care how we get him. Just get him. Then draft a MLB and safety with the first and 2nd. Corner with a third. Regardless we still need to hire a great defensive coordinator. With the right DC. Right drafting and a trade. I think we could be a top 10 defense as early as next season. But if Nolan is still here. Won't matter much what we do.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Nice thoughts. Maybe free agent or trade for a dominate DT. I don't care how we get him. Just get him. Then draft a MLB and safety with the first and 2nd. Corner with a third. Regardless we still need to hire a great defensive coordinator. With the right DC. Right drafting and a trade. I think we could be a top 10 defense as early as next season. But if Nolan is still here. Won't matter much what we do.
not sure what FA DT that would be young, would be available..... I generally oppose building through FA. you sign your own stars. you sign a key FA now and then, specially if you feel they are within the window that you might make a run..

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Welcome to 2020.

Score and the other team can't run the ball. It's the Chiefs entire philosophy.

chiefs are 27th in rush defense, 12th in pass defense. they have given up 1580 yards rushing...hmmmm

they are 7th in scoring defense

shabazz

Reaction score
Oh yay, another non cleverly disguised thread for the OP to chap his lips on Dak’s butt yet again.

News Flash, We’ve needed a defense and a franchise quarterback here for the last 5 years

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was extremely surprised and happy to see how these young offensive linemen played last night. Only 1 sack allowed against on of the better defenses in the league. Pass protection was as good as I've seen since all the starters were playing in week 1 before they started falling in week 1. All these injuries have been a blessing in disguise because now we don't have to target an offensive lineman in the draft. We can pick up some FA's for depth and possibly draft one in the later rounds. La'el will be back. Biadez will be back. Martin will be back. Tyron? Who knows but these youngsters played well last night.

Dak has led this offense to the #1 offense in the entire NFL last year and this year until he went down. The Cowboys as of last night still had the #9 offense in the NFL because of what Dak accomplished in his 5 games. Jarwin will be back and Cee Dee will even be better. Why take a chance on some QB who has all the physical talents like a Ryan Leaf when you don't know what's in his heart? You don't. You use your high draft pick and parlay those into more picks if possible and build your defense. No doubt get rid of Nolan. He's not the answer. He hasn't adjusted to his talent. There are some solid young players to build on going forward. Diggs, LVE, Dlaw and maybe some others. We still need a ton of talent on defense and the only way to do it cheaply is through the draft.

This is why I have hope. We're not too far away despite JJ's incompetence. We're going to be picking high in every round and already have 9 draft picks next year and can end up with even more is Jones plays his cards right. We've done good in the draft recently so there's hope. Pinning all your hopes on wasting a draft pick on a QB in the 1st round is naïve, short sighted and stupid and it's why the Cowboys will not do it.

If we pick 3rd or 4th, trade down no lower than 8th. However I am just throwing that out there. I need to look at all the draft prospects yet. So trade down, pick up an extra 2nd, and 3rd.
Draft all defense. I could change that to 6th or even 10th pick.
I agree no need to draft OL, unless that player is the next Tyron or Zach type player. All the injured OL will be back, and we will have depth, as Philbin has done a great job this year with all the shuffling around on the fly.

If we can come away with defense in the 1st, 2 in the second and 3 in the 3rd, that would be great.

I know I created a thread about if a QB is there, as it can't be ignored that it could be a possibility, but very doubtful. I can also see going defense as well, which does make more sense, as Dak is still a winning QB. Fix the defense is the #1 priority though. But I will wait to see where we draft before I get more into it. Unless I get bored enough to start looking at the top 10 players.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
chiefs are 27th in rush defense, 12th in pass defense. they have given up 1580 yards rushing...hmmmm

they are 7th in scoring defense
Right. The best run defense is scoring, because it makes other teams' running game meaningless.

The Chiefs make my point lol

GroundZero1970

Reaction score
Flip Gallup or Cooper for a 2. Draft Chase and use the 2 second round picks on D. We will have 2 elite wrs on rookie deals. We are gonna lose Gallup to FA anyway. It helps the salary cap too.

ondaedg

Reaction score
Nah, they don't need defense. As soon as Dak returns they will magically turn into a 12-4 team again. Dak makes that kind of difference - just ask his fan club.

Be sure to disregard the fact that they went 8-8 last season with a mostly healthy roster.

This is such a horrible post. Dan Marino had three sub .500 seasons and he is regarded as one of the best ever but could never get past their terrible defenses. It is so lame to take a guy who had a historically good season and put the entire organization's blame on his shoulders just to push your agenda. Awful awful post.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Right. The best run defense is scoring, because it makes other teams' running game meaningless.

The Chiefs make my point lol
again, what you say makes no sense. can any offense score every drive? in essence that's what you want.

so lets say I score....and now the other team gets the ball. they run it, because I can't stop it. and they hold the ball, control TOP. and score.

I score again.

and they get the ball and do the same thing, because my defense sucks. we can't stop anyone (not far from reality).

now its tied...I drive and can't score... unless you are expecting and demanding perfection.

they get the ball, they run it down your throat and they score....

see the trend...

you can't hide one of the worst defenses in the league. no matter what you try...

again, unless you expect demand perfection from your offense. scoring on every drive then you are not going to get other teams to stop running if you can't stop the run. your base assumption is that the defense makes stops and makes tops often for the other team to stop running and go to passing (which we suck in that too) and if you can't stop the run, you are not going to stop the other team.