Why we need Zimmer

fortdick

Reaction score
Last year there was a great deal of opinion expressed that we needed to get rid of Zimmer. It is starting up again this year, as the Cowboys sink into mediocrity. But, I think folks need to stop and look at the situation a little before calling for Zim's firing.

Sean Payton was called out more last year than Zimmer. The offensive play calling was pretty pedestrain and most laid that at Peyton's feet. However, when you look at New Orleans this year, Peyton is considered a great coach and maybe a candidate for coach of the year. SO I have to think that the problems with last year's offense weren't his.

If the Romo experiment pans out, and the Cowboys show enough improvement to warrant Parcell's return for another year, great. But if the team falls to 8-8 or worse, Bill probably won't be back. What wil be left behind is his groceries. We are a 3-4 defense now and converting back to a 4-3 would take a couple years at least. Zimmer established the Cowboys as a solid defensive squad in 2003 with the 4-3. He has had two years learning the 3-4 and the players we have in place. Losing him and Parcells would seriously hurt the defense in 2007.

Finally, Zimmer took the Campo squad and made it the best defense in the NFL, admittedly against a soft schedule. What is different now? We don't look any better offensively since Peyton left. I think our defensive problems can be laid directly at Parcells' feet. So lets stick with Zimmer, as we should have with Peyton.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
fortdick;1123147 said:
Last year there was a great deal of opinion expressed that we needed to get rid of Zimmer. It is starting up again this year, as the Cowboys sink into mediocrity. But, I think folks need to stop and look at the situation a little before calling for Zim's firing.

Sean Payton was called out more last year than Zimmer. The offensive play calling was pretty pedestrain and most laid that at Peyton's feet. However, when you look at New Orleans this year, Peyton is considered a great coach and maybe a candidate for coach of the year. SO I have to think that the problems with last year's offense weren't his.

If the Romo experiment pans out, and the Cowboys show enough improvement to warrant Parcell's return for another year, great. But if the team falls to 8-8 or worse, Bill probably won't be back. What wil be left behind is his groceries. We are a 3-4 defense now and converting back to a 4-3 would take a couple years at least. Zimmer established the Cowboys as a solid defensive squad in 2003 with the 4-3. He has had two years learning the 3-4 and the players we have in place. Losing him and Parcells would seriously hurt the defense in 2007.

Finally, Zimmer took the Campo squad and made it the best defense in the NFL, admittedly against a soft schedule. What is different now? We don't look any better offensively since Peyton left. I think our defensive problems can be laid directly at Parcells' feet. So lets stick with Zimmer, as we should have with Peyton.

Very true. Parcells has complete control over his coaches, and they do what he says, and he make the gameplan and the coaches go off of that.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
fortdick;1123147 said:

Jerry Jones has specified that we will not be changing the defense back to a 4-3. I agree with him. This defense is set to run a 3-4 for the long haul and we have spent draft picks, free agents, coaches and lots of time and money in making this a 3-4 defense.

However, I disagree that losing Zimmer will hurt this defense. What we really need is a def. coordinator that knows how to coach the 3-4. Its obvious that Zimmer doesn't know what to do with all that talent he has in his defense.

We can keep blaming Parcells for everything that goes wrong with the playcalling on defense. But Zimmer is the def. coordinator and calls the majority of the plays. Why then does Parcells get all the blame while Zimmer AGAIN, gets away scott free from any time of blame on the defense whatsoever?

conner01

Reaction score
i think if we turned zimmer loose he would have a much more attacking defense. remember in training camp when bill said he told zim to cut the defensive playbook in half? bill wants a conservative game plan on both sides of the ball and thats what the coaches have to do. people here wanted sean gone but when he left and we seen he actually was a good coach now people look at him different

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
the only people who "need" Zimmer are the teams opposing offensive players

its time for change...we've seen mediocre defense for 6+ years now

David

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
Jerry Jones has specified that we will not be changing the defense
back to a 4-3. I agree with him. This defense is set to run a 3-4 for the long haul and we have spent draft picks, free agents, coaches and lots of time and money in making this a 3-4 defense.

Isn't Dallas' run defense one of the best in the league? There are some weaknesses, sadly, the same ones from last year, the safeties, but at least they tried to address that need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortdick View Post

Jerry Jones has specified that we will not be changing the defense back to a 4-3. I agree with him. This defense is set to run a 3-4 for the long haul and we have spent draft picks, free agents, coaches and lots of time and money in making this a 3-4 defense.

However, I disagree that losing Zimmer will hurt this defense. What we really need is a def. coordinator that knows how to coach the 3-4. Its obvious that Zimmer doesn't know what to do with all that talent he has in his defense.

We can keep blaming Parcells for everything that goes wrong with the playcalling on defense. But Zimmer is the def. coordinator and calls the majority of the plays. Why then does Parcells get all the blame while Zimmer AGAIN, gets away scott free from any time of blame on the defense whatsoever?

What scheme did Zimmer call that was wrong, that allowed all those long passes to be completed against Watkins? What play should he have called?

This doesn't make any sense. Parcells wasn't blamed for the long TD bombs that Watkins gave up. On Shockey's TD where he owned Roy, should Zimmer have put Roy on the bench and brought in Elam? or Davis? Maybe he should have had Burnett playing saftety? If you want to bash Zimmer, go ahead, but at least offer an alternative to what he did.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
fortdick;1123147 said:
Losing him and Parcells would seriously hurt the defense in 2007.
You have got to be kidding me. I can't believe I just read that.

BeWare94

Benched
Reaction score
fortdick;1123147 said:

You are correct in one thing: we are a 3-4 defense now and it would take a couple of years to fully convert back to a 4-3 front. That being said, it is also evident that Mike Zimmer has no clue on how to implement, deploy and maintain said defensive scheme. We could talk about the myriad of problems posed with our defense but the people here who don't drink the kool aid know that Zimmer is a fraud and the ones here who don't think he is the major problem on the defense are either misinformed or not knowledgeable.

You are also correct when you say that we have the players in place on defense, so why isn't this unit kicking @$$? And, when I say 'kicking @$$' I mean being near the top of the league in some tangible defensive category like sacks, forced fumbles, interceptions, overall takeaways, etc. instead of some deceiveing stat like total defense which is simply a measurement of yards allowed.

You added that "Zimmer took the Campo squad and made it the best defense in the NFL." I think that at best this is a slight prevarication. They surrendered fewer yards than anyone but they weren't near the top of the league in points allowed, sacks, interceptions, turnover differential...You know, all the defensive statistics that matter.

You are right about Payton but wrong about Parcells and Zimmer. As for Payton we should have given him a ridiculous raise like we did Zimmer a few years ago and kept him in the fold at all costs. With Parcells, all great coaches reach a point where the game passes them by and it is evident that time has come in Parcells' career. Zimmer is highly-touted, never-will-be who probably doesn't find another pro job after his tenure with the Cowboys.

BeWare94

Benched
Reaction score
ConstantReboot;1123228 said:

Parcells part of the blame is implicit in the fact that he hasn't fired Zimmer.

BeWare94

Benched
Reaction score
dbair1967;1123337 said:
the only people who "need" Zimmer are the teams opposing offensive players

its time for change...we've seen mediocre defense for 6+ years now

David

Some related questions...

Why do the Cowboys run a 3-4 but rarely blitz?

Why are the flats always open when the linebackers aren't blitzing?

Why do teams consistantly kill us with the slant on third down?

Why does Mike Zimmer still have a job?

Only the shadow knows...

BeWare94

Benched
Reaction score
FLcowboy;1123434 said:
What scheme did Zimmer call that was wrong, that allowed all those long passes to be completed against Watkins? What play should he have called?

This doesn't make any sense. Parcells wasn't blamed for the long TD bombs that Watkins gave up. On Shockey's TD where he owned Roy, should Zimmer have put Roy on the bench and brought in Elam? or Davis? Maybe he should have had Burnett playing saftety? If you want to bash Zimmer, go ahead, but at least offer an alternative to what he did.

We are number 1 against the run because people realize that they could just pass on us a whole lot easier with matchups like average tight end vs. Roy Williams in the seam or average wide receiver against rookie K. Watkins playing deep half responsibility. We've already established that our linebackers pretty much don't cover well which is also a good matchup for Joe Blow tight end. Why would anyone run the ball again?

BeWare94

Benched
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;1123831 said:
You have got to be kidding me. I can't believe I just read that.

Yeah, I spit my drink out on my computer screen when I read that one, too!

Our defense could be worse off if Parcells and Zimmer leave, but look at the bright side: it could be much better if Jeff Fisher arrived.

t-rock

Reaction score
I don't understand why Zimmer has Roy covering anyone once the other team is in the red zone. He's so much more of a "catalitic" player when he is close to the line of scrimmage.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
t-rock;1123910 said:
I don't understand why Zimmer has Roy covering anyone once the other team is in the red zone. He's so much more of a "catalitic" player when he is close to the line of scrimmage.

Well this is just how ignorant Mike Zimmer is when it comes to using talent. Remember that Roy Williams best year was his rookie year when he was allowed to roam quite freely close to the LOS. Since, then Zimmer have found ways in using Williams in coverage and other unnecessary responsibilities.

Same problem with Ware. Why are we constantly placing him on coverage? Why don't we just put another linebacker on who he is supposed to cover and have him rush the QB all the time? Ware needs to be moved around also. As I see it, its easy to block Ware since the offense knows where he will be coming from.

Honestly, coaching this defense is not hard at all. All that Zimmer needs to do is let some of his players run loss and make plays like what they were meant to. He doesn't need to put them in a position where they can't make plays.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
BeWare94;1123869 said:
We are number 1 against the run because people realize that they could just pass on us a whole lot easier with matchups like average tight end vs. Roy Williams in the seam or average wide receiver against rookie K. Watkins playing deep half responsibility. We've already established that our linebackers pretty much don't cover well which is also a good matchup for Joe Blow tight end. Why would anyone run the ball again?

whos K. Watkins?

Ratmatt

Reaction score
ConstantReboot;1123228 said:

You can't hire a head coach,then tell him what kind of defensive scheme he will run.If Jones tries to do that,this team will go back to the way it used to be.The cowboys will be stuck with a puppet for a coach again.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Ratmatt;1124069 said:
You can't hire a head coach,then tell him what kind of defensive scheme he will run.If Jones tries to do that,this team will go back to the way it used to be.The cowboys will be stuck with a puppet for a coach again.

Am I missing something here? What your saying is illogical.

Jones will hire a coach that will WANT to run the 3-4.

Jones won't hire a coach that wants to totally revamp the defense with the 4-3 and us spending more draftpicks, more free agent signings, more 4-3 coaches, and more resources that will take more years and more seasons to accomplish.

Give it up. We're running a 3-4 for a long time to come whether we like it or not.