News: Why we passed on ET

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Agreed, it appears McCarthy used his sources from the coaching fraternity to nix Earl to Dallas.

I'll give McCarthy benefit of the doubt but if our defense play doesn't improve in secondary....he can find another massage parlor to waddle in...
Yeah..

I brought up Clinton Dix being cut before a single snap.

We need him now. Would not be any worst.

kskboys

Reaction score
If they win a few games they need to look at a trade.

Does the Jets or some team like that have a decent safety?

What is up with Donovan Wilson? The guy has done nothing but make plays when given the opportunity.
That just starts the ugly circle again of giving up prime draft picks and then having to overpay.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Did Jones just say we got the guys here on campus that can get the job done? Has he seen what the last 2 QB's have done to that secondary? How many games does it take to get the job done.
Yeah..

We all need to look thru his glasses.

Must be like a 60's kaleidoscope.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if Earl never in an impact player again. The end of your playing career typically comes fast and many times ugly in the NFL. Maybe he has a bounce back and returns to form as a veteran leader but it appears he will need to change a lot about himself if this were to happen.

This doesn't excuse the massive miscalculation Dallas had on their safeties. I think it is safe to say neither of our starting safeties would be starting anywhere else. Heck, they might not even make most other teams if they didn't make our roster. At times Dallas does smart things but every year there are 1-2 position groups that they just completely whiff on. I don't think high priced Free agents are the answer in most cases but to not give yourself protection with smart pickups is where they usually come up short.
They signed Dix and they never gave him a snap in a real game.

Now look where we are.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I'm assuming you meant Woods and not Wilson here?

In the case of Thomas, it seems that by all accounts that McCarthy told the Joneses something they didn't want to hear - namely that he didn't want Earl Thomas on the team.

But I get your point about safety being a long-standing issue and not given the priority it deserves.
Well..

They did sign Ha Ha Clinton Dix.

He must have been horrendous to be worst than what is starting now.

That signing I thought was a good get.

Like to know who wanted him gone so badly.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I think Williams deserves at least a chance at offensive tackle. He's been done a disservice here since day one forcing him to try to be a guard. He just isn't. But I'd rather see him given a chance at the position he played in college rather than being thrown away without getting one.
I don't get the impression he is going to get that chance, unless it's out of necessity.

Qcard

Reaction score
If they win a few games they need to look at a trade.

Does the Jets or some team like that have a decent safety?

What is up with Donovan Wilson? The guy has done nothing but make plays when given the opportunity.
That is a great point on the Trade contingent on next few games.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well..

They did sign Ha Ha Clinton Dix.

He must have been horrendous to be worst than what is starting now.

That signing I thought was a good get.

Like to know who wanted him gone so badly.

I liked it at the time as well. But he must have been truly awful to lose out to these guys. And that feeling is supported by the fact that the rest of the league has had no interest in him since we released him. That shows a consensus of opinion.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't get the impression he is going to get that chance, unless it's out of necessity.

It wouldn't surprise me. They seem stubborn, and dug in on forcing him out there at left guard, despite the results.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I agree there.

Unfortunately the Smith return is also a big maybe.

Knight seems to have been a Godsend, and it would have been nice to plug him in at LG.

Smith is the key.....because it frees up Knight to move to RT, and puts Steele back into developmental mode (where he belongs at this point).

This FO has always forced their own agenda (be it high picks or guys who got paid) and its bothersome to me that may still be the case after the regime change.

In fact I'm sure it is. Denial creates the only doubt.

Theres just too many people telling those two what they want to hear instead of harsh reality.

Theres no way anyone can sit there and say guys like Thompson and Woods are quality starters on an NFL team as an example.

Williams definitely falls into this category. The second contract here CANNOT happen. When is it time to move on?
Those decisions are so far down the road at this point.

First we need the jury to decide are we going to tag Dak again or are we going to sign a mega deal which will strip the team of any money to continue the needed rebuilding.

This whole scenario reminds me of us giving Romo his big contract becuz his play was all that kept us in a game.

We are about to swallow the poison pill again with Dak.

Obviously we have not learned anything from the past.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I liked it at the time as well. But he must have been truly awful to lose out to these guys. And that feeling is supported by the fact that the rest of the league has had no interest in him since we released him. That shows a consensus of opinion.
Resign him..give him his back pay and say..

"Sorry Mr. Dix..we made a hasty decision."

And hope he forgives us.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Because we like trotting out the garbage at the safety position...

We kept Poe over Dix...

Poe is washed up.
I have not heard Poe's name called on TV.

Disappeared.

Calling all cars..

Calling all cars..

Be on the lookout for a huge dude who thinks he is a Dallas Cowboy. He is considered harmless..I repeat..

HARMLESS.

That is all.

:D

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Yeah..

But could he be worst than what we have?

Somehow I think not.

When they cut him I thought it was becuz they were making room for ET.

In retrospect it was to be rolled into next year's Black Ops Fund to sign Dak.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah..

But could he be worst than what we have?

Somehow I think not.

When they cut him I thought it was becuz they were making room for ET.

In retrospect it was to be rolled into next year's Black Ops Fund to sign Dak.

It was because he wasn't good. The same reason why no one else has any interest.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
The real reason is Cowboys need all the cap space they can to sign Dak next year. There is a reason they cleared so much cap space to carry over to next season knowing the salary cap will shrink with less revenue. But Dak isnt going to take less money and Dallas will have to afford paying him 40 million a year and wont be able to spread that money out over 5 years cause Dak is to selfish to try and help the team out, so they can keep good players around him.

Not to mention Dallas has other players they want to keep. Safety will need to be address in next years draft class.

Anyone believe its cause of his issues is blind. Dallas signed A. Smith who has issue after issue. Bringing back Gregory with open arms. Its all about paying Dak
Yeah..

This knee-jerk reaction all to afford one player we can not really afford.

I am going to name this siphoning of the cap for Dak's future contract the Dak Black Ops Fund.

It is for other worldly signings that should not happen but they will anyway.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Also, yet again, goes back to these two surrounding themselves with people telling them what they want to hear instead of being real about it.

Any average fan can see that Woods and Thompson are both awful.

The staff wont say so because it's not about getting this right, it's about coaches grabbing a last paycheck from the cash cow that is the Dallas Cowboys.

Jerry believes what he wants to. Not a lot has changed around here and I really thought it did.
Either no change or too much change.

Big Mike bit off a lot coming here.

It's like no other team in the World of Sports.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Me n buds keep asking: Is HaHa really worse than Thompson?

The coaches certainly thought so. Not saying it's the right decision or the wrong decision, just that it WAS their decision.

But it should say something to all of us that no other team has signed Clinton-Dix either.