Why would McCarthy choose Dallas?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
There have been all kinds of debates about the Joneses making Mike McCarthy the newest coach of the Dallas Cowboys. Some love the move, some hate it. Some think it was too quick. Some wanted the latest hot name or a college standout instead.

However, last night I started thinking about why McCarthy would want to come to Dallas. After all, there's no doubt that any potential coach had heard plenty about Jerry's meddling ways. The organizational failure of Jones has been discussed pretty much ad nauseam. Choosing Dallas means having to put up with Jerry's hands-all-over approach of owning a team.

McCarthy clearly had other teams interested in interviewing, yet he picked the Cowboys as much as the Cowboys picked him. It could have just been a money thing. It could even be the high-profile nature of the job. However, I think there also could have been a few other reasons.

1) McCarthy, like most of us, could easily see that this team underachieved under Garrett. He's not in a rebuilding situation, but one where he only should need to add a few parts to possibly achieve immediate success.

2) This could probably be added to one because it's saying the same thing: Coaches know they can't win without talent and key pieces are in place here. He doesn't have to find a quarterback. He doesn't have to find a stud running back. He's got four very solid pieces to the offensive line if they can stay healthy. If we bring back Cooper, he's got a very good receiving corps. On offense, the only real questions are starting tight end and left guard (and we got decent play there from both Williams and Su'a-Filo, plus we haven't even seen Connor McGovern yet).

Defense is a little more sketchy. We've got one very good defensive end, two very good linebackers and a few decent secondary players. However, McCarthy is an offensive coach so I'm sure the offense was the draft.

3) Despite all the negatives about Jones, coaches know that he will get them what they ask for. I know the team has changed some on that, going cheaper in free agency, but I feel some of that was influenced by Garrett and his process, and the right coach will be able to produce a shopping list and get Jerry to fill it. If McCarthy tells Jerry that he needs a certain player, I just can't see Jones being able to resist getting him.

aria

Reaction score
Because he’s an idiot? Over rated roster and a meddling owner. Jerry probably got him to commit after drinking a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue during their little sleep over.

gimmesix

Reaction score
1. America's team

2. Been out of work for a while

3. Knows jerry well

4. talented roster.

Well, this is what one article said was the reason:

“It was like love at first sight,” a source with knowledge of the dynamics between Jones and McCarthy said when explaining the quick move by the Cowboys to make McCarthy the new head coach.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Oline signed for years, Dak, Zeke, Amari, Gallup, Pollard......?

That's what I think.

The hardest thing as a new coach can be getting talent at key positions up to the level it needs to be. He already has most of the players he needs on offense to succeed.

Proof

Reaction score
I think it’s the fact it’s the Cowboys obviously. It’s as high a profile job as there is. He seems to really like our skill positions and Kellen.

I’d imagine he sees potential for a quick turnaround and the only other program that offers similar “potential” is Cleveland.

Aven8

Reaction score
That's what I think.

The hardest thing as a new coach can be getting talent at key positions up to the level it needs to be. He already has most of the players he needs on offense to succeed.

When he had success at GB he had the best pass blocking Oline In football, Jordy, Cobb, and Jones. And Lacy at RB. Now no one is comparing Rogers with Dak, but that’s what Mike does. Develop QB’s.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
There have been all kinds of debates about the Joneses making Mike McCarthy the newest coach of the Dallas Cowboys. Some love the move, some hate it. Some think it was too quick. Some wanted the latest hot name or a college standout instead.

However, last night I started thinking about why McCarthy would want to come to Dallas. After all, there's no doubt that any potential coach had heard plenty about Jerry's meddling ways. The organizational failure of Jones has been discussed pretty much ad nauseam. Choosing Dallas means having to put up with Jerry's hands-all-over approach of owning a team.

McCarthy clearly had other teams interested in interviewing, yet he picked the Cowboys as much as the Cowboys picked him. It could have just been a money thing. It could even be the high-profile nature of the job. However, I think there also could have been a few other reasons.

1) McCarthy, like most of us, could easily see that this team underachieved under Garrett. He's not in a rebuilding situation, but one where he only should need to add a few parts to possibly achieve immediate success.

2) This could probably be added to one because it's saying the same thing: Coaches know they can't win without talent and key pieces are in place here. He doesn't have to find a quarterback. He doesn't have to find a stud running back. He's got four very solid pieces to the offensive line if they can stay healthy. If we bring back Cooper, he's got a very good receiving corps. On offense, the only real questions are starting tight end and left guard (and we got decent play there from both Williams and Su'a-Filo, plus we haven't even seen Connor McGovern yet).

Defense is a little more sketchy. We've got one very good defensive end, two very good linebackers and a few decent secondary players. However, McCarthy is an offensive coach so I'm sure the offense was the draft.

3) Despite all the negatives about Jones, coaches know that he will get them what they ask for. I know the team has changed some on that, going cheaper in free agency, but I feel some of that was influenced by Garrett and his process, and the right coach will be able to produce a shopping list and get Jerry to fill it. If McCarthy tells Jerry that he needs a certain player, I just can't see Jones being able to resist getting him.
4) And the most important one is that Jerry has given MM full reign over on the field operations including getting rid of or adding players of his choice, hiring or firing of coaches without input, deciding who starts and who doesn't, etc.

Aven8

Reaction score
What a great add to his resume, to coach two storied franchises - Packers and Cowboys

I thought of this too yesterday. Lucky man. Was also with SF. Got to coach with three of the best QB’s ever in NFL history as well.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
He made a huge leap in his footwork last year. Mike will develop that more. And if you think these QB’s don’t work on this their entire careers you’re nuts. Go watch Brady in the offseason. Manning. On and on.

I never said they don’t work on their craft. I said that expecting a QB to “develop” into something else after 4 years of starting is naive.