Why would McCarthy choose Dallas?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There have been all kinds of debates about the Joneses making Mike McCarthy the newest coach of the Dallas Cowboys. Some love the move, some hate it. Some think it was too quick. Some wanted the latest hot name or a college standout instead.

However, last night I started thinking about why McCarthy would want to come to Dallas. After all, there's no doubt that any potential coach had heard plenty about Jerry's meddling ways. The organizational failure of Jones has been discussed pretty much ad nauseam. Choosing Dallas means having to put up with Jerry's hands-all-over approach of owning a team.

McCarthy clearly had other teams interested in interviewing, yet he picked the Cowboys as much as the Cowboys picked him. It could have just been a money thing. It could even be the high-profile nature of the job. However, I think there also could have been a few other reasons.

1) McCarthy, like most of us, could easily see that this team underachieved under Garrett. He's not in a rebuilding situation, but one where he only should need to add a few parts to possibly achieve immediate success.

2) This could probably be added to one because it's saying the same thing: Coaches know they can't win without talent and key pieces are in place here. He doesn't have to find a quarterback. He doesn't have to find a stud running back. He's got four very solid pieces to the offensive line if they can stay healthy. If we bring back Cooper, he's got a very good receiving corps. On offense, the only real questions are starting tight end and left guard (and we got decent play there from both Williams and Su'a-Filo, plus we haven't even seen Connor McGovern yet).

Defense is a little more sketchy. We've got one very good defensive end, two very good linebackers and a few decent secondary players. However, McCarthy is an offensive coach so I'm sure the offense was the draft.

3) Despite all the negatives about Jones, coaches know that he will get them what they ask for. I know the team has changed some on that, going cheaper in free agency, but I feel some of that was influenced by Garrett and his process, and the right coach will be able to produce a shopping list and get Jerry to fill it. If McCarthy tells Jerry that he needs a certain player, I just can't see Jones being able to resist getting him.

The GM in Green Bay ran the show other than coaching.

Cowboys
Panthers
Giants
Commanders
Browns

Would any coach choose the Browns or Skins over the others?

The Panthers job might have been attractive.

The Giants have been quick to fire their last 2 Head Coaches.
McAdo coached 28 games
Shurmur coached 32 games.
Meanwhile:
Garrett 144 regular season games + 8 as interim HC

jchap

Reaction score
I would want to work somewhere where the owner was too loyal to the prior coach

garyo1954

Reaction score
He wasn't going to get the Giants job where he could bring Daniel Jones along his way/in his system.

With Jones he has a blank slate. He has to undo Dak to rewire his mechanics and thinking process.

Think about it.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
There have been all kinds of debates about the Joneses making Mike McCarthy the newest coach of the Dallas Cowboys. Some love the move, some hate it. Some think it was too quick. Some wanted the latest hot name or a college standout instead.

However, last night I started thinking about why McCarthy would want to come to Dallas. After all, there's no doubt that any potential coach had heard plenty about Jerry's meddling ways. The organizational failure of Jones has been discussed pretty much ad nauseam. Choosing Dallas means having to put up with Jerry's hands-all-over approach of owning a team.

McCarthy clearly had other teams interested in interviewing, yet he picked the Cowboys as much as the Cowboys picked him. It could have just been a money thing. It could even be the high-profile nature of the job. However, I think there also could have been a few other reasons.

1) McCarthy, like most of us, could easily see that this team underachieved under Garrett. He's not in a rebuilding situation, but one where he only should need to add a few parts to possibly achieve immediate success.

2) This could probably be added to one because it's saying the same thing: Coaches know they can't win without talent and key pieces are in place here. He doesn't have to find a quarterback. He doesn't have to find a stud running back. He's got four very solid pieces to the offensive line if they can stay healthy. If we bring back Cooper, he's got a very good receiving corps. On offense, the only real questions are starting tight end and left guard (and we got decent play there from both Williams and Su'a-Filo, plus we haven't even seen Connor McGovern yet).

Defense is a little more sketchy. We've got one very good defensive end, two very good linebackers and a few decent secondary players. However, McCarthy is an offensive coach so I'm sure the offense was the draft.

3) Despite all the negatives about Jones, coaches know that he will get them what they ask for. I know the team has changed some on that, going cheaper in free agency, but I feel some of that was influenced by Garrett and his process, and the right coach will be able to produce a shopping list and get Jerry to fill it. If McCarthy tells Jerry that he needs a certain player, I just can't see Jones being able to resist getting him.
America's team, baby

nobody

Reaction score

I think Rex Ryan said something to the effect of "God dog I would have killed to have had these guys and now this guy's going to inherit that? I don't know, he got a deal with God or something because this is a great situation"

So from a talent perspective, this IS a great situation. A lot of coaches would have wanted it despite Jerry's meddling....just for the chance with these guys. At LEAST Rex Ryan. lol

That's why McCarthy took it.. he probably thought he won the lottery.

That being said, I think there's a lot of areas in the talent department that need upgrades, but it's far from a rebuild situation so it's attractive to any coach who's been out of the game or wants a chance back in.

_sturt_

Reaction score
However, last night I started thinking about why McCarthy would want to come to Dallas.

Have to say, there seems to be something poetic about a guy who grew up a friggin Steelers (70s nemesis) fan, and whose first real job was for the friggin Niners, (90s nemesis) and whose career is identified with the friggin Packers (60s nemesis)... becoming the head coach of the Dallas Friggin Cowboys.

The planets and stars all aligned. No other way to explain it.