Why would Sean Payton want to come here?

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The ONLY reason I can possible see is the ego to be the one coach who can overcome this front office when even his mentor Bill P could not.

Sheepherder

Reaction score
Simple answer....

When is it NOT about money?
There will be other teams that will probably pay him more money. Do you think the Joneses would let a real coach come in and take away all of Jerry's media attention that he worships. Not gonna happen.

fivetwos

Reaction score
There will be other teams that will probably pay him more money. Do you think the Joneses would let a real coach come in and take away all of Jerry's media attention that he worships. Not gonna happen.
The Jerry ego show isn't gonna last forever.

He said himself he is running out of time.

Once Jerry DOES quit I no longer expect him to require a puppet in place. I fact I think he will want the opposite... and someone he trusts.

Money won't be a problem if puppet string MM is worth 6m per to him.

Just my guess as to where this all heads in anywhere from 10-36 months or so.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score

Heaven forbid that a real coach would win a SB within the first two or three years and show up Bozo and Booboo how much of failures they were in letting their egos, ignorance and incompetence get in the way. Thus we are stuck with the "rinse and repeat" crap we keep seeing every year.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Since the last divisional round playoff win: 7 head coaches, 1 GM, 1 Player Personnel Director.

Dudes still thinking we just need to get the right coach. :muttley:
Don’t forget 7 different offensive Coordinators, 8 defensive coordinators, over 40 different assistant coaches, and literally hundreds of different players….1 GM and son running it.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I know the Jones boys are banking on Payton coming here, but after seeing how the FO just completely dismantled a competitive team for NO reason and essentially turning McCarthy into a lame duck coach, why would Sean Payton want to come here and be part of an FO that has no idea what it is doing? We may even lose out on Dan Quinn who see how McCarthy got done and will decide to coach elsewhere.

Money.

Friendship with the Joneses.

Ego. Coaches think they can win anywhere.

Hall of Fame. Right now, he's got one title and that might not be enough.

We may think it's not a great situation with the way the Joneses handle the offseason and manage the team, but that doesn't mean there's any coach who would refuse the job. I mean, McCarthy had several to choose from and he decided to come here despite this same FO.

Payton could decide he's done with coaching and not want to take any job, but if he wants to coach again and the Joneses offer, it would be a surprise if he didn't take it.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Don’t forget 7 different offensive Coordinators, 8 defensive coordinators, over 40 different assistant coaches, and literally hundreds of different players….1 GM and son running it.

Right your never going to get "That coach" or "Those players" that win in "This format" until the GM changes the rules of how this FO works you will continue to be "A coach" and "QB, WR, Defense ...." away...

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
IMO. Jerry is willing to surrender total personnel control to Sean. As he's that desperate and TIME IS SHORT.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I don't at all see how it's a debate either way.

Payton would come here, and Jerry would absolutely have him here......especially when he runs out of things to sell.....which is rapidly approaching, and he knows it.

This is matter of Payton taking a year off, lowering the compensation, and Jerry paying two coaches for only 1-2 years instead of 2-3.

Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part....and it doesn't guarantee success, but it's a way better shot than the current setup IMO.