Why you don't need to tank

Sydla

Reaction score
I dunno.. maybe it's the old player and coach in me.. but aside from games played after everything is clinched, I've never really thought of any game as "meaningless." I have zero interest in watching my team lose. I guess that makes me one of your "morons."

What does winning a couple of games down the stretch actually do for this team? Unless Washington craters, which they won't, the Cowboys can't make the playoffs. So again, why is beating say Philly in a few weeks more important than getting the 4th or 5th pick as opposed to the 8th or 9th pick?

You seem to be arguing from a position that how you feel is most important. To me, I don't really care at this point if they win or lose because to me if they aren't making the playoffs, what's the point? And if they aren't making the playoffs, I want the best possible offseason scenario - which would be the highest picks possible. How I feel about winning a couple of games down the stretch doesn't translate into this team actually getting better.

jnday

Reaction score
All true.. but 5-37-59-91 is not a huge difference from 8-40-62-94 to me. I still get 4 of the top 100 players. If I scout well and coach well they will be fine. The Garrett regime drafted in the middle of the draft most of his tenure thanks to all them 8-8 seasons.. Yet managed to get Dez, Fredbeard, Zack, Tyron, Zeke, Byron, Murray, and Dak. 7 All pro players while almost always drafting in the middle. Two, Tyron and Martin, probably on a hall of fame trajectory unless injury takes them out. That aint nothin to sneeze at. With better coaching that nucleus would have a ring by now. Or maybe a LITTLE more focus on drafting quality on defense. While they have not completely ignored it.. they have certainly reached for more guys on defense than most of us would like. Hopefully now that Rod is not here to fall in love with a guy during the interview we can just draft the best f-in football player on defense. Send him to charm school if we need him to be likeable.
Those one or two draft positions determines if you get Lamb or another WR, but with less talent. Ask Philly fans about those one or two spots that are earlier in the round.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I dunno.. maybe it's the old player and coach in me.. but aside from games played after everything is clinched, I've never really thought of any game as "meaningless." I have zero interest in watching my team lose. I guess that makes me one of your "morons."
The same people that want to intentionally lose...talk about "toxic environment". Don't care what level you're at...that's a surefire way to foster it.

BEST case scenario?

Next year:

"You better be good kid we intentionally lost for your draft spot."

Professionalism and principles at there finest.

kskboys

Reaction score
So a question to the tankers.
Not that you would go out of your way to go to a sports bar to watch them if it was the only way to do so.

So say, if you had to go and you had no other choice not too.
And the crowd was all wanting Dallas to win. Would you actively be rooting for a loss in front of them? Saying we must have a higher draft pick. Knowing you may get your butt whipped. :lmao2:
I would absolutely go.

I don't root for losses. I simply laugh at our mishaps.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Those one or two draft positions determines if you get Lamb or another WR, but with less talent. Ask Philly fans about those one or two spots that are earlier in the round.
If they fall to you.....like they did. Fine.

If they don't...you take the next best.

It's how the whole thing works not matter where you draft.

kskboys

Reaction score
The same people that want to intentionally lose...talk about "toxic environment". Don't care what level you're at...that's a surefire way to foster it.

BEST case scenario?

Next year:

"You better be good kid we intentionally lost for your draft spot."

Professionalism and principles at there finest.
Didn't hurt MIA. Remains to be seen if the Jets tanking will work. If they don't have a decent HC, won't matter!!!!

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
People kill me coming up with all these scenarios as to why the Cowboys need to play to lose so they can get a better draft pick.. If you watched the special on the top 60 players in franchise history ask yourself how many of them were top 10 picks?

Emmitt? - Nope 17th
Roger? - Not even a first rounder
Witten? - second rounder
Zack Martin - Nope 16th
Dez Bryant - Nope 24th
Larry Allen - Nope - second round
Mark Tuinei - Undrafted
Nate Newton - Undrafted
Erik Williams? - Nope 3rd round
Bob Hayes - Nope 7th round
Drew Pearson - Nope undrafted
Harvey Martin - Nope 3rd round
Demarcus Ware - 11th close..
Michael Irvin? - 11th .
Bob Lilly? - 13th
Romo? - Undrafted
Flozell? - Second rounder.

Yeah.. that list is getting long .. so let's go to the shorter list..

Of the all time 60 greatest Cowboys here are your top 10 picks:

Troy Aikman 1-1
Too-Tall Jones - 1-1
Tony Dorsett - 2nd overall
Randy White - 2nd overall
Zeke - 4th overall
Tyron Smith - 9th overall
Deion - 5 th overall (by the Falcons)

Unless I have missed someone that is the entire list of top 10 overall picks who have turned into great players for the Cowboys. 7 out of 60. In fact there are almost as many undrafted guys on the list as top 10 picks. Point being, there is plenty of talent to be had throughout the draft. You simply need good scouting to find them and good coaching to develop them. I think the Cowboys scouting department has done a pretty good job finding good players.. I'm not sure I can say the same about our ability to coach and develop them over the past two decades. Here's hoping this coaching staff gets better at it. If they don't then it really doesn't matter where or who we draft, this team is going to suck. And we will continue to watch guys go elsewhere and win Super Bowls.. and look good doing it.

Just want to correct one thing. Witten was taken in the 3rd round not the 2nd.

kskboys

Reaction score
If they fall to you.....like they did. Fine.

If they don't...you take the next best.

It's how the whole thing works not matter where you draft.
Yup. SF made a super bowl because Nick Bosa and Armstead "fell" to them.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Didn't hurt MIA. Remains to be seen if the Jets tanking will work. If they don't have a decent HC, won't matter!!!!

I'll have to see how much the rookies are contributing...but....Remains to be seen for miami too. Looks like they're hoping for a wild card?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
All of that is true, however the fact remains. Closer you pick toward the front, the more good players will be available. That is the fact that cannot be refuted.

Good players being selected elsewhere does not negate this fact.

Actually the fact that every year because there are players taken outside of the top 5-10 picks that turn out to be really good and some eventually go to the HOF proves what you said is wrong that there is the majority of really good players outside the top 5-10 picks. If you go by what you say then every player taken in the top 5-10 picks should also end up in the HOF but we both know that isn't true..

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't root for them to lose. I am largely indifferent as to whether they win or lose. But I am also not a moron that can't see having the highest pick possible is much better for this franchise than winning a couple of meaningless games down the stretch.

Oh I understand that. I am not upset if they lose at this point. The higher draft pick the better, that is obvious. I am looking at it as more of a trade down possibility also.
I just posted the to lighten the mood bit.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Need to stop giving out big contracts after one good season. Thought Jerry would have learned since the Miles Austin deal.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You seem to assume that "tankers" are only found here on CZ.... i would not be shocked if half of those fans in the sports bars at this point of the season have also smartly realized this team is a joke and roadkill and might as well win a top prize at the end of the season for their feeble efforts.

Not assuming that at all. I have several friends that also want to lose out fo the better pick. And I do not get upset with them when they say that.
Another friend who is not a Dallas fan, asked me the other day, if I cared or not if they lost games to get the better picks.
Even he said it would be best for them to lose out.
I told him I am not actively rooting for losses, but won't be upset when they do lose.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
There should be a mega-like button on this board. Because this post would deserve it.

The Cowboys draft just well enough to be anywhere from mediocre to good. But enough screw ups in FA and coaching hires prevents them from being great.

This is going to be an interesting FA, there's going to be a lot of solid players available that were cap casualties.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
So a question to the tankers.
Not that you would go out of your way to go to a sports bar to watch them if it was the only way to do so.

So say, if you had to go and you had no other choice not too.
And the crowd was all wanting Dallas to win. Would you actively be rooting for a loss in front of them? Saying we must have a higher draft pick. Knowing you may get your butt whipped. :lmao2:
It's always the wimps who say such things. Been there. Done that (rooting for a loss a time or two for the better of the team). Ugly stares but not one time has any physical confrontation happened.

leeblair

Reaction score
People kill me coming up with all these scenarios as to why the Cowboys need to play to lose so they can get a better draft pick.. If you watched the special on the top 60 players in franchise history ask yourself how many of them were top 10 picks?

Emmitt? - Nope 17th
Roger? - Not even a first rounder
Witten? - second rounder
Zack Martin - Nope 16th
Dez Bryant - Nope 24th
Larry Allen - Nope - second round
Mark Tuinei - Undrafted
Nate Newton - Undrafted
Erik Williams? - Nope 3rd round
Bob Hayes - Nope 7th round
Drew Pearson - Nope undrafted
Harvey Martin - Nope 3rd round
Demarcus Ware - 11th close..
Michael Irvin? - 11th .
Bob Lilly? - 13th
Romo? - Undrafted
Flozell? - Second rounder.

Yeah.. that list is getting long .. so let's go to the shorter list..

Of the all time 60 greatest Cowboys here are your top 10 picks:

Troy Aikman 1-1
Too-Tall Jones - 1-1
Tony Dorsett - 2nd overall
Randy White - 2nd overall
Zeke - 4th overall
Tyron Smith - 9th overall
Deion - 5 th overall (by the Falcons)

Unless I have missed someone that is the entire list of top 10 overall picks who have turned into great players for the Cowboys. 7 out of 60. In fact there are almost as many undrafted guys on the list as top 10 picks. Point being, there is plenty of talent to be had throughout the draft. You simply need good scouting to find them and good coaching to develop them. I think the Cowboys scouting department has done a pretty good job finding good players.. I'm not sure I can say the same about our ability to coach and develop them over the past two decades. Here's hoping this coaching staff gets better at it. If they don't then it really doesn't matter where or who we draft, this team is going to suck. And we will continue to watch guys go elsewhere and win Super Bowls.. and look good doing it.
As I have said before, the Cowboys need to win the games they are supposed to win.
Unless you can do that, it doesn't matter who they pick.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
This is going to be an interesting FA, there's going to be a lot of solid players available that were cap casualties.

And with EVERY team having LESS cap space if those cap casualties didn't accept smaller offers from their team what makes you think they will take a lesser amount from another team where they also have to have all the additional expenses and pain in the butt of moving.