Wide Receiver depth: Do we have enough?

Marktui

Reaction score
I like the trio of TO, TG and Patrick Crayton for our WR's, but after these guys, who else is there? TO and TG are both on the wrong side of 30, both are known to be in awesome shape, but fact is both guys have missed parts of seasons in the last few years. If one of these guys goes down, who picks up the slack?

I know with todays salary cap, that we cannot stockpile talent, but this scares me, especially if TO is out for a period of time, we would go out there with TG and Crayton, so basically teams will game plan to take away TG and make us win with Crayton.

Do we draft a WR (rookies hardly make impacts), who are the FA's still out there? I think that is why the Cowboys were trying to get Key resigned for depth, but Key went for the bigger money, which is understandable.

Thoughts?

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
We definitely don't have enough at WR and I'm thinking we draft one possibly in the early rounds. There are still some servicable receivers out there, but nothing that will make your hair stand up on the back of your neck.

silver

Reaction score
NO. Copper shouldn't be considered a WR. We got 3 legit receivers. we need at least 4 to play the spread & shotgun formations.

I recommend draft one rather than signing one FA. Our top 2 are established vets and Crayton will be in his 3rd year. Time to invest in the future.

proline

Reaction score
I'd like to get one more speed guy. With Owens, Crayton, and Witten, we are fine with possession guys. But if Glenn goes down, I'd like to have another burner coming along to stretch the field.

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score
proline said:
I'd like to get one more speed guy. With Owens, Crayton, and Witten, we are fine with possession guys. But if Glenn goes down, I'd like to have another burner coming along to stretch the field.

T.O. can stretch the field just fine.

But I do agree that we need to bring in a young speedster.

We need to go after one in the draft.

diehard2294

America's Team
Reaction score
we need to start developing someone for the future. I am hoping that will come through the draft

Cowboyfan81

Broadcast Guy
Reaction score
silver said:
NO. Copper shouldn't be considered a WR. We got 3 legit receivers. we need at least 4 to play the spread & shotgun formations.

I recommend draft one rather than signing one FA. Our top 2 are established vets and Crayton will be in his 3rd year. Time to invest in the future.

I'd like to see us use Witten in that 4th reciever slot in those formations. He'd be quite effective lined up one on one with a DB.

Sitting Bull

Reaction score
We absolutely do not have enough depth at receiver, especially after replacing a stable, known-quantity in Keyshawn with a ticking time-bomb...Our number 3 WR is young and coming off of a significant injury. After him we have chaff. Fortunately, I agree that we can count our elite TE as a receiver in many packages and therefore don't think we have to blow a high pick on a very weak WR class. We just need to bring a few new options to camp and I'm partial to anyone who can contribute immediately in a punt or kick returner.

rojan

Reaction score
I wouldnt mind bringing back P.Price in the same role he played last year....He did help us beat the Eagles the second time...I woner what he would do with a training camp under his belt

Rumor

Reaction score
rojan said:
I wouldnt mind bringing back P.Price in the same role he played last year....He did help us beat the Eagles the second time...I woner what he would do with a training camp under his belt

I dont think thats a bad thought if possible....

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
X-Dawg said:
Santonio Holmes - Get em'

As buckeye...I have a lot confidence in Holmes. He has great talent and can make STELLAR big plays for you. Lotta heart.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
rojan said:
I don't know if he would be happy playing 4th in the rotation with an entire training camp behind him.

Now if he comes in and can beat out Crayton, then we may be on to something.

ghettogandhi

Reaction score
young guy will be fine as the 4th wr- How many teams have the quality we have 1-3 (none)

Cowboy_love_4ever said:
I don't know if he would be happy playing 4th in the rotation with an entire training camp behind him.

Now if he comes in and can beat out Crayton, then we may be on to something.

Bizwah

Reaction score
If you're thinking we'll go five deep at WR, then I think you'll be disappointed.

Parcells stated last year that the fourth and fifth WRs need to contribute something on special teams. That's why we let go of Quincy Morgan.

I don't see us drafting a WR unless it's a WR that can contribute on STs. I see us either drafting one that can return punts (Moss), or cover kicks (Marshall). If we draft one, I think it'll be third round or later.

I think we'll draft a WR that will be a Copper-type....Maybe some speed or size. One that can be developed.

As far as enough depth....I think our top three rival any other top three in the NFL. But Owens can be a Fruit Loop, Glenn can never seem to stay healthy, and Crayton is just a pup.

I would love to see more depth here.

StevenOtero

Reaction score
silver said:

can_of_worms.jpg

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
Cowboys need depth at WR. For any of you guys to question that makes me scratch my head.

Although most of you may not think that the Commanders have a better starting 2. You would be silly to say the Commanders dont have better depth.

StevenOtero

Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:
Cowboys need depth at WR. For any of you guys to question that makes me scratch my head.

Although most of you may not think that the Commanders have a better starting 2. You would be silly to say the Commanders dont have better depth.

Depth yes, starting two ummm we'll see??:rolleyes: . :eek: