Wide Receiver group has a ton of unknowns

cnuball21

Reaction score
We did our best to replace what left. Time will tell if it was a success. However, most teams at least make an attempt to fix their problems from the previous year.
We’ll be good against bad defenses and average against contenders…like last year.

starfan1

Reaction score
Lets just say if Lamb goes down we are in trouble.
If Jefferson goes down the Vikes are in trouble
If Tyrek goes down the dolphins are in trouble
If AJ goes down eagles are in trouble
Now San Fran has a boatload of talent they may be able to sustain a deebo injury
Point is almost anyone who loses their 1 is significantly less a threat IMO u nless they have a quality run game to fall back on

jay94

Reaction score
Tolbert is what he is at this point, he causes no separation and likely will be out of the league with in 3 years, he never made the jump, he's not a no wr3 at best I would say wr 5, we need Brooks to step up and also no injuries with a daunting schedule.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Cedric Wilson was not as good as many think he was. I am still amazed at how many still think he was a good / great WR.
I think Tolbert has much more upside.
He had a slower start to his career than Tolbert has to date.

2018 IR
2019 5 46 (9.2) 0
2020 17 189 (11.1) 2
2021 45 602 (13.4) 6

morasp

Reaction score
I don't get all the complaining about Tolbert. He outplayed Skyy Moore taken in round 2 at 54 (34 picks earlier) and he's outperformed all of the other round three WR picks in 2022. He was a late third round pick, came from a small college, and had some injuries his rookie season. This is his year to shine and he should see more targets with WR3 looks instead of WR4.

2022 Draft Round Three WRs
Pick Player Receptions/Yards
54 Skyy Moore 21/244
71 Velus Jones 4/20
88 Jalen Tolbert 22/268
99 David Bell 14/167
105 Danny Gray 1/10

Draft Picks used on WRs in Rounds 1-3 2019-2024
49ers 5
Chiefs 4
Ravens 4
Bengals 3
Packers 3
Cowboys 2

cnuball21

Reaction score
I don't get all the complaining about Tolbert. He outplayed Skyy Moore taken in round 2 at 54 (34 picks earlier) and he's outperformed all of the other round three WR picks in 2022. He was a late third round pick, came from a small college, and had some injuries his rookie season. This is his year to shine and he should see more targets with WR3 looks instead of WR4.

54 Skyy Moore 21/244
71 Velus Jones 4/20
88 Jalen Tolbert 22/268
99 David Bell 14/167
105 Danny Gray 1/10

49ers 5
Chiefs 4
Ravens 4
Bengals 3
Packers 3
Cowboys 2
Year 3 will be big for Tolbert and Moore. Clearly the jump from small schools has taken longer.

I’m more concerned around the fact we have to count on him as WR3 and did nothing to improve the room than I am his production so far.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Year 3 will be big for Tolbert and Moore. Clearly the jump from small schools has taken longer.

I’m more concerned around the fact we have to count on him as WR3 and did nothing to improve the room than I am his production so far.
It's very telling that they drafted a receiver and brought in Zay Jones over a look.

morasp

Reaction score

I agree, we definitely haven't used a lot of draft capital on the position in the last six drafts, pick 17 overall and pick 88 along with a bunch of UDFAs and some day three picks. If you include TEs as pass catchers I'll be interested in seeing how Schoonmaker progresses this year.

blueblood70

Reaction score

54 Skyy Moore 21/244
71 Velus Jones 4/20
88 Jalen Tolbert 22/268
99 David Bell 14/167
105 Danny Gray 1/10

49ers 5
Chiefs 4
Ravens 4
Bengals 3
Packers 3
Cowboys 2
I don't get the complaining why they think our wide receiver core is so bad it's at least top ten in the NFL right now I get looking to 2025 we could be in trouble at that position they're gonna need to address it however that goes for a lot of positions 2025 is gonna be a very odd year for is Jerry gonna keep Prescott lamb Parsons digs or is he gonna blow this all up but right now as it stands today I mean I like Turpin and tolbert rotating in and out as the number three guy and with Ferguson cooks and lamb we have a pretty solid passing group...

How do I know this because it's virtually the same as last year and Prescott managed to lead the league in touchdowns minimize his interceptions and second team all pro second team in MVP voting and I'm pretty sure we were top five in yards and touchdowns in the entire NFL last year with virtually the same group I mean we need to fix the running game which hopefully started with the offensive line but everyone all up in arms needs to go look around the league there's very few teams that are just loaded at wide receiver we're not that bad as a group..

blueblood70

Reaction score
Cedric Wilson was not as good as many think he was. I am still amazed at how many still think he was a good / great WR.
I think Tolbert has much more upside.
Well yeah I would never have paid said Wilson the money he got in Miami nor to bring him back but I think he would have been worth keeping for the veteran minimum at #3 over tolbert I think he was slightly better than tolbert he was on the same page with Prescott which is important and maybe tolbert is a little behind in that aspect but yes if you look at how they both start their career here much like miles Austin sometimes it takes a little while for that guy who's down on the depth chart to get enough targets to really get involved in the system..

Mr_437

Reaction score
For the sake of draft n development Jalen Tolbert needs to step up and take the WR3 spot. Tolbert is auditioning for WR2, 2025, this season.

This may be the best opportunity Jalen Brooks gets to carve out a valuable role, and the same goes for Flournoy. I believe Dallas will draft a WR in the 1st-3rd rounds next draft, so these guys have to make a move now the whole room...Durden, Moreno-Cropper, McBath, and Johnson included.

Gremell12

Reaction score
Some trade candidates that are free agents in 2025-
Tyler Boyd
Zay Jones
Dionte Johnson
Quez Watkins
Kj osborn
Chris Godwin

Yes alot of these guys were recently signed to new teams but alot of low tier teams and some still of those teams could miss playoffs. So after a bad start if we could send a 5th/6th for them for a rental. Obviously worth if it means going deeper into the playoffs imo. I’m starting to believe more and more in WRBC (wide receiver by committee). My reasoning is it’s easier than ever to get open with todays rules and having guys who do certain things well and can matchup well vs different types of schemes/corners can make things easier on the QB/Offense. Yes having a star is somewhat needed for sure. Having alot of wr3s that showup and showout vs corners/schemes with some sort of weakness that they can exploit can win you games (obviously). How many times have we seen some 3rd/4th wr make big plays in crunchtime? Being able to utilize and adjust from a week to week basis in playoffs is the ultimate goal and having more lets you be more versatile.