Wide Receiver group has a ton of unknowns

fivetwos

Reaction score
Do you remember the old Cowboys message board on the actual cowboys site? I went on a curse filled rant due to our lack of offseason initiative. That was not the Cowboys I knew. I think I got some warnings. I was shocked we came off a 13-3 season and did nothing to get better. I stupidly expected some big moves to take us over the top. I know a lot of people blame Dak. Sometimes rightfully so. But this front office doesn't make it easy. Garoppolo, Purdy, Hurts, none get to the SB on the Dallas Cowboys. Mahomes, Rodgers, or Peyton Manning, maybe. But not Dak. He needs much more talent around him.
I think that’s all about the co-GMs needing to be told what’s happening by the staff, and those people of course pump sunshine as far as the progress and development of what’s in house. They aren’t going to claim they are doing an awful job.

Until there’s someone in charge that can actually see what going on for themselves, and spend the time doing it, as well as knowing the rest of the league instead of booking soccer events, I really don’t expect much.

Dallas at a major disadvantage front office wise. Not news to you or most others.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
So we have a bunch of unknowns at WR and unknowns or has beens at RB, 2 rookies on the OLine(both who will play out of position from college), but it will be Dak's fault when we don't win the SB next year.
I think Cowboy Fans need to realize this team doesn't have a championship level roster, it's not just their QB.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I remember when Keenan Allen slid that year and I was begging us to take him…sigh.
I also remember there were character concerns with Allen which is why he dropped. No matter, Williams actually had a solid career with the team.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Tolbert has not broken out…he showed signs of life last year but I agree this year it’s put up or move on.
I not here to bash the player, will be rooting for him to play well, but we haven't seen enough to think he will become an impact receiver this far.

visionary

Reaction score
It's pretty obvious. They are planning to get bigger with the linebackers and dline.
Theyre clearly very slow learners figuring out in 30 years what peewee coaches know

Like i said, cant build a team and no idea how to evaluate talent

rambo2

Reaction score
Theyre clearly very slow learners figuring out in 30 years what peewee coaches know

Like i said, cant build a team and no idea how to evaluate talent
Why do the majority of teams lose more than they do?

conner01

Reaction score
A lot of numbers at the wide receiver position, but a ton of unknowns and could look drastically different in 2025:

-Lamb has become a true #1 receiver in this league. Just a matter of when and how much they are going to resign him for.
-Cooks had somewhat of an disappointing 1st season with the Cowboys and won't be back after this season. You can make an argument that MM just doesn't know how to use him right. Dak struggled to get on the same page with him all last season.
-Tolbert is heading into a make or break season. 3rd rd pick who has yet to make an impact after 2 seasons.
-Brooks was drafted as a special teamer last year, but did look good as a receiver in a small sample size, can push for more snaps.
-Ryan Flournoy is an older prospect that plays the x position. With Gallup gone, he will be in competition to land that role.
-Turpin played well in limited snaps and has earned trust with the coaches, but his main role remains as our returner on special teams

What happens if Lamb goes down?

This is another position where adding a veteran makes a ton of sense with so many young prospects at the position. Really believe we are going to see a top three pick used next year to address this area. Huge pivotal year for Jalen Tolbert.
If lamb goes down we get a much higher draft pick. He is the man at WR and we don’t have a passing game without him

cnuball21

Reaction score
KC hardly had world beaters as WR's last year.
True, but they have a QB that could down as the best of all time.

And they’re WR1 is Kelce. They also just drafted a top WR in Rice who was a stud and spent a 1st on Worthy. So even the Super Bowl Champs with the best QB on the planet continue to invest in weapons…and we don’t.

starfan1

Reaction score
I didn’t read the whole thread so I’m sure there have been solid points made but beyond cooks being another year older and he and Dak did pretty good after slow start

What are the big question marks? We lost Gallup who was a disappointment . If we get that type production from the #3 we’ll be fine

We had close to the top offense in the league and unless they fall off a cliff I would anticipate top 5 again

I’d be more worried about can they run and stop the run

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Anyone worth having in free agency commands more money than the Cowboys' FO is looking for.

This team is due to rely on what's in house. Not an ideal situation but one that this team warrants.

The ongoing situation with the team's leadership is one that they hope 2025 might offer solutions.

Last edited:

Chasing6

Reaction score
I didn’t read the whole thread so I’m sure there have been solid points made but beyond cooks being another year older and he and Dak did pretty good after slow start

What are the big question marks? We lost Gallup who was a disappointment . If we get that type production from the #3 we’ll be fine

We had close to the top offense in the league and unless they fall off a cliff I would anticipate top 5 again

I’d be more worried about can they run and stop the run
The big question marks are they same as last year. We did nothing to improve our team. We did our best to replace what left in free agency. That is about it.

Flamma

Reaction score
Whether I completely agree with that or not because I'm not going to go back there BUT you did mention up there about 2017, you act like Ezekiel Elliott being suspended didn't affect that year it did and we never had a good backup behind Emmitt Smith either imagine losing Emmitt Smith in the season which you thought you were going to improve from the year before you were thirteen and three for seven games or however it was long he wants to hurt and the very reason that Prescott won rookie of the year,
I'm not sure where you got that from. I mentioned the suspension. I'm just saying the difference between 2017 and this offseason is we had a good running game. Of course the suspension screwed us. I think I'd take Zeke in his prime with a 6 week suspension over what we have now.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Are you blind?
No I just dont ignore reality in favor of blind faith. If you watched him play last year VS watching him previous years it was plain as day he didnt have the same explosiveness. You guys can make as many excuses for him as you want, but it obvious that he has lost some steps

starfan1

Reaction score
The big question marks are they same as last year. We did nothing to improve our team. We did our best to replace what left in free agency. That is about it.
Well if they are the same they will be fine imo

CeeDee dominated , Ferguson was a beast . Cooks had a good second half of the season and they were top 5 in league

Only Gallup’s production needs replaced from last years Passing which shouldn’t be hard

Maybe another jump in year 3 for fergy if

If we get nothing from schoon which I don’t see well he good

Chasing6

Reaction score
Well if they are the same they will be fine imo

CeeDee dominated , Ferguson was a beast . Cooks had a good second half of the season and they were top 5 in league

Only Gallup’s production needs replaced from last years Passing which shouldn’t be hard

Maybe another jump in year 3 for fergy if

If we get nothing from schoon which I don’t see well he good
We did our best to replace what left. Time will tell if it was a success. However, most teams at least make an attempt to fix their problems from the previous year.