Wide Receivers: 2008 Season

dadymat

I'm kind of a Big Deal
Reaction score
I want a new better WR (Roy Williams please God) as well as the rest but....aside from the playoff game Crayton did make some plays this season....

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
abersonc;1906374 said:
Crayton is #2 next year. He's fine in that role with TO and Witten here. We will have a high pick at WR who will compete for #3 against Hurd.

If Stanback can come in and take Austin's job, we should all be pleased with his performance.

I think it would be a mistake to settle for Patrick Crayton at the #2 position

Now can we have some success? You bet, it was proving this year but I think we need a #2 that can step into the #1 Role because:
1) If Terrell Owens gets injured
2) Get acclaimated to the system before T.O. leaves

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Roy Williams (the WR) will be our #2 guy.

;)

scottsp

Reaction score
mickgreen58;1907801 said:
I think it would be a mistake to settle for Patrick Crayton at the #2 position

Now can we have some success? You bet, it was proving this year but I think we need a #2 that can step into the #1 Role because:
1) If Terrell Owens gets injured
2) Get acclaimated to the system before T.O. leaves

Aye. I'm not sold the number two is on the current roster. I heard the Jerrah interview. I love his enthusiasm. Not so sure we know enough about Stanback to say he dresses for every game next season. Though I definitely hope he does.

Keep all options open. And yes, I would agree a viable number two should be on the list somewhere, to slide into the lead wideout role after Owens leaves us.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
There is absolutely no way this team goes into next season w/

Owens #1

Stanbeck #2

Crayton #3

I see JJ going out and getting a very serious WR threat to man the 2 spot if Terry Glenn retires (I am thinking he does retire).

I have a feeling Roy Williams (Det/Lions) will be a Cowboy next year.

The Pats showed JJ everything he needs to see w/ Moss/Welker/Stallworth.

There will be someone as good or better than Terry at the 2 spot next year.

Book it!

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Dallas;1908047 said:
There is absolutely no way this team goes into next season w/

Owens #1

Stanbeck #2

Crayton #3

I see JJ going out and getting a very serious WR threat to man the 2 spot if Terry Glenn retires (I am thinking he does retire).

I have a feeling Roy Williams (Det/Lions) will be a Cowboy next year.

The Pats showed JJ everything he needs to see w/ Moss/Welker/Stallworth.

There will be someone as good or better than Terry at the 2 spot next year.

Book it!
Dude, we went into this season with:

1. TO
2. Crayton
3. Hurd

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
what do you guys think the price would be for Chad Johnson should he become available?

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
theogt;1908048 said:
Dude, we went into this season with:

1. TO
2. Crayton
3. Hurd

And your point Theo?

Stanbeck at #2? I don't see that taking flight. He is the freshest WR on the whole team. How on earth you can just plug him into such an important roll is beyond me.

Crayton had a great year before he started helping out this year at the 2 spot. We knew what we had in him. We haven't a clue what Stanbeck brings in live games.

No way...give me some experience.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Dallas;1908075 said:
And your point Theo?

Stanbeck at #2? I don't see that taking flight. He is the freshest WR on the whole team. How on earth you can just plug him into such an important roll is beyond me.

Crayton had a great year before he started helping out this year at the 2 spot. We knew what we had in him. We haven't a clue what Stanbeck brings in live games.

No way...give me some experience.
Just saying. It's very possible. Particularly after Jerry's comments today.

And the WR position isn't that hard to learn. We're not asking him to quarterback the team. If he can't contribute at least in a #3 role next year, then there's no reason to keep him on the roster.

Deep_South

Reaction score
The main thing I remember about Stanback from training camp was that he wasn't returning punts because he was having trouble catching the ball. That is kind of like an outfielder in baseball having trouble catching fungo fly balls. Not good for a wannabe pro wide receiver. I'm not expecting much from him.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
nake;1908110 said:
The main thing I remember about Stanback from training camp was that he wasn't returning punts because he was having trouble catching the ball. That is kind of like an outfielder in baseball having trouble catching fungo fly balls. Not good for a wannabe pro wide receiver. I'm not expecting much from him.
Hmmm....I don't remember reading that. I remember Wade saying he was too tall to be a PR (he's almost 6'3").

But I can also tell you that being able to catch a punt doesn't mean you can catch a pass. See Devin Hester.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
I am not going to put a lot of stock into what Jerry Jones expects out of a player.

I just know the guy couldn't get on the field against Washington, with Terrell Owens injured and backups seeing alot of action.

Also, from what I understand, Wide Receiver is suppose to be a fairly difficult position to learn.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Theo, I don't get why you are assuming Stanback is going to be a #2 or 3 WR for us next year.

I read the Jerry quote....and it doesn't sound all that telling. It just sounds like he is looking forward to seeing Stanback getting more playing time next year, not necessarily meaning he will be in a starters role.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Vintage;1908125 said:
Theo, I don't get why you are assuming Stanback is going to be a #2 or 3 WR for us next year.

I read the Jerry quote....and it doesn't sound all that telling. It just sounds like he is looking forward to seeing Stanback getting more playing time next year, not necessarily meaning he will be in a starters role.
Well, let's see, there's Wade saying it's not a good idea to draft a WR in the first round. And I doubt we'd draft one lower than that who would get a chance over Stanback. Then there's the fact that there aren't likely to be any decent receivers in free agency worth spending the cash on. Someone has to fill in the #2 role. And it won't be Crayton.

What really caught my eye was that there was a blurb about him in a recent PFW piece. It echoed the notion that the coaches are impressed with his progress. They wouldn't just pull that out of their *****. I think someone (e.g., one of our coaches) must have specifically brought it up and emphasized it for them to report on it, randomly. I mean, there weren't a whole lot of mentions of other random 4th round projects.

GhettoxCowboy

Dem Boyz
Reaction score
wayne motley;1906275 said:
Guaranteed (Bet the Farm on it):

No matter what his signing bonus or cap hit, T.O. will be the #1 WR for the Dallas Cowboys next season.

A close second (Call it 1a):

Our #2 WR starting opposite TO next season is not currently on the roster.

My longshot prediction:

Stanback removes Crayton from the #3 spot during preseason.
(I'm not taking anything away from the stats Crayton put up this season when we really needed him...but he's simply not quick or fast enough to hold down this position for long or to return punts...a good quick 3rd receiver should be open against 3rd CBs and safties most of the time)

:laugh2: Are you serious?? yout hink stanback is gonna beat out crayton for the #3 spot, you are on crack homie really.