Wildcard Contenders

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
In my opinion, the top five candidates for the two NFC Wildcard spots are Dallas, Washington, Tampa Bay, Atlanta, and Carolina. Their remaining schedules are as follows:

Washington
New York Giants
@ Batlimore
Cincinnati
Philadelphia
@ San Francisco

Tampa Bay
New Orleans
@ Carolina
@ Atlanta
San Diego
Oakland

Carolina
@ Green Bay
Tampa Bay
Denver
@ New York Giants
@ New Orleans

Atlanta
@ San Diego
@ New Orleans
Tampa Bay
@ Minnesota
Saint Louis

The Cowboys are currently two spots out of the final wildcard berth; however, all three NFC South teams must play each other multiple times over the last five weeks of the season, and the Cowboys currently hold the head-to-head tiebreaker over Tampa Bay.

Dallas isn't in the best possible position, but there is reason for optimism.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Carolina has a tough remaining schedule. Unfortunately, so do we. However, we're the better team, as long as we remain relatively healthy.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
We have the worst schedule remaining aside from the Seahawks. If the Cowboys make the playoffs you can't take anything away from them. Everyone has a winning record except the Eagles.

Eskimo

Reaction score
It is hard to say how it will all shake out. We need to get to 11-5 to have a good shot at the playoffs. I don't like our chances at 10-6 this year. That means 4-1 down the stretch here - doable, but not easy with tough games against Pitt, NYG, Bal. Plus, Philly and Seattle always play us tough.

BigDinAZ

Reaction score
There is a chance, but we deffiently don't control our own destiny. We need some of these other teams to fall, and we can't stumble down the line.

Eskimo

Reaction score
rocyaice;2439458 said:
We have the worst schedule remaining aside from the Seahawks. If the Cowboys make the playoffs you can't take anything away from them. Everyone has a winning record except the Eagles.

Hopefully the Eagles keep playing Kolb - much rather play him than McNabb who has always been a thorn in our side.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Star4Ever;2439446 said:
Carolina has a tough remaining schedule. Unfortunately, so do we. However, we're the better team, as long as we remain relatively healthy.

Last week, I was convinced Atlanta - with its rookie head coach and rookie quarterback - was the most likely candidate to slump over the last month of the season and fall out of the playoff race. Now, I'm beginning to think Carolina may see a precipitous decline. The Panthers haven't played well in recent weeks, and their remaining schedule is very difficult.

BigDinAZ

Reaction score
I think it is sickening that the Bears control the division with a record like that....

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
rocyaice;2439458 said:

True. However, I also believe the Cowboys have the most talent of the wildcard contenders. With Philly going to Kolb, Dallas has a very realistic chance at 11-5.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If we run the table unbeaten down the stretch AND remain fairly healthy, we'll go into the playoffs as the most dangerous team in the league.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
BigDinAZ;2439467 said:
I think it is sickening that the Bears control the division with a record like that....

I didn't include any team from the NFC North among the wildcard contenders. In my opinion, the NFC North is sending one and only one team to the playoffs this year.

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
I am programming a game analyzer, its very early but it went 13-2 so far this week. If you want to check it out the link is here, scroll down. Some of the stuff is nonsense...its very early and buggy, but its getting results right now. Here's its predictions (obviously as more trends are analyzed as more games get played the predictions become clearer):

Btw ignore the Injury notes those are just things to help the end user make better predictions, right now they arent working yet.

ScipioCowboy;2439439 said:
Washington Final: 9-7
L New York Giants
L @ Batlimore
W Cincinnati
L Philadelphia
W @ San Francisco

Tampa Bay Final: 12-4
W New Orleans
W @ Carolina
W @ Atlanta
W San Diego
W Oakland

Carolina Final: 9-7
L @ Green Bay
L Tampa Bay
W Denver
L @ New York Giants
L @ New Orleans

Atlanta Final: 10-6
W @ San Diego
L @ New Orleans - close game
L Tampa Bay
W @ Minnesota - close game
W Saint Louis

Dallas Final: 8-8
W SEA
L @PIT
L NYG
L BAL
L PHI

Doesn't look good for us, but I must add right now we look bad because Brad Johnson effected these stats. Imagine we were a team that replaces Romo and Brad every other drive. Our record would be 8-8. :)

Bizwah

Reaction score
I really don't know a whole lot about those other teams. I do know that the NFL is impossible to predict. I would expect for several teams to begin fading down the stretch....it happens every year.

I think hoping for teams to lose sucks.....we need to take care of our own schedule.

It's hard not to look at our schedule and speculate. But honestly, if you were shown our remaining opponents at the beginning of the year and asked if any of them scared you....what would you say?

Seattle? No
Pitt? No
NYG? No
Balt? No
Philly? No

We CAN do this......We'll have to stay focused the rest of the year, but it's doable.

This season has been all about the Super Bowl. If we're really a contender, then we SHOULD win these games. If we squeak into the playoffs, we're probably not going to do anything.

Daudr

Reaction score
Eskimo;2439459 said:
It is hard to say how it will all shake out. We need to get to 11-5 to have a good shot at the playoffs. I don't like our chances at 10-6 this year. That means 4-1 down the stretch here - doable, but not easy with tough games against Pitt, NYG, Bal. Plus, Philly and Seattle always play us tough.

If we can beat the remaining NFC teams on our schedule we have a very good shot. However, if we lose a NFC game it's going to be a lot more difficult and we will need some help.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Hypnotoad;2439492 said:
I am programming a game analyzer, its very early but it went 13-2 so far this week. If you want to check it out the link is here, scroll down. Some of the stuff is nonsense...its very early and buggy, but its getting results right now. Here's its predictions (obviously as more trends are analyzed as more games get played the predictions become clearer):

Btw ignore the Injury notes those are just things to help the end user make better predictions, right now they arent working yet.

Doesn't look good for us, but I must add right now we look bad because Brad Johnson effected these stats. Imagine we were a team that replaces Romo and Brad every other drive. Our record would be 8-8. :)

That's fascinating, Hypnotoad.

As you alluded, Dallas' record may be off kilter due to their injury situation at mid-season. However, as far as I know, the other teams have remained relatively healthy.

Aikbach

Reaction score
You're all wrong, Dallas will finish 5-11 just wait and see, we will find a way!;):D

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
Washington
L---New York Giants
L---@ Batlimore
W---Cincinnati
W---Philadelphia
W---@ San Francisco

Final Record - 10-6

Tampa Bay
W---New Orleans
L---@ Carolina
W---@ Atlanta
L---San Diego
W---Oakland

Final Record - 11-5

Carolina
L---@ Green Bay
W---Tampa Bay
W---Denver
L---@ New York Giants
W---@ New Orleans

Final Record - 11-5

Atlanta
L---@ San Diego
L---@ New Orleans
L---Tampa Bay
W---@ Minnesota
W---Saint Louis

Final Record - 9-7

Dallas
W---Seattle
L---Pittsburgh
W---Giants
W---Baltimore
W---Philadelphia

Final Record - 11-5

Wild Cards: Carolina, Dallas

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
How ridiculous is it that Dallas is looking up at three teams in the NFC South when Dallas is clearly better than any one of those teams?

Of the top three NFC South teams, the best is Tampa Bay, whom the Cowboys defeated with virtually no offensive output.

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;2439566 said:
How ridiculous is it that Dallas is looking up at three teams in the NFC South when Dallas is clearly better than any one of those teams?

Of the top three NFC South teams, the best is Tampa Bay, whom the Cowboys defeated with virtually no offensive output.

Its such a shame we lost to the rams.