Wildcard Contenders

Smith22

Reaction score
Biggems;2442265 said:
I would throw the Saints in the mix for Wild Card contenders.

2 games out right now (division crown), 1-2 in thier own division, and 3-4 in the NFC conference. They will need some serious help.

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
Eskimo;2439459 said:
It is hard to say how it will all shake out. We need to get to 11-5 to have a good shot at the playoffs. I don't like our chances at 10-6 this year. That means 4-1 down the stretch here - doable, but not easy with tough games against Pitt, NYG, Bal. Plus, Philly and Seattle always play us tough.
I disagree. 10-6 will likely still get the Cowboys in, although it's less safe this year than usually. The NFC South still has a lot of intra-division games left.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
Here is my prediction. It could be wrong, but I'll go with it.

Chicago wins the North at 10-6. They could tie Minnesota.

Minnesota goes 10-6 or 9-7. They could get in as WC or win the tie breaker.

Carolina will not make the playoffs. I see 9-7 for them.

New Orleans should go 9-7, and they don't make it.

Atlanta goes 9-7, and they don't make it.

Washington... I really don't know.

I think the surprise could be two teams from the North making it.

Also, it is still possible for Dallas and Washington to both make it.

If Dallas takes care of business and gets to 8-4, and they should get it done. I see the Pittsburgh and Philadelphia games as very key. If they can win both of those games, I see them winning at least 11 games. The Pittsburgh game isn't in the division or conference, but I think it is a monster game for Dallas. It is a game they can win, and it would set the tone for December. Plus, it could be the game that could be the foundation for 11 wins and the 5th seed.

If you can get a 5 and go to Chicago. I think that is a great matchup for Dallas.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Everson24;2442256 said:
What has this team ever done in December to give you any hope of that actually happening?
It's not the same team. This will be the first time this team has played in the month of December 2008. It may go 0-4, 4-0 or maybe even somewhere in-between; but whatever the final results may be, it will not be because of how earlier versions of this team played in seasons' past.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2439884 said:
Carolina sucks. I don't know how they won 8 games but if they finish better than 9-7 I'd be surprised.

You were saying they sucked and now you don't know how they won 8 games. Or that they just lost to fall to 8-3. It doesn't sound like you know what you're talking about....again.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
Two possible outcomes to the season that would really piss me off.

1) We win out 12-4 and still lose the division to the Giants. I know it's now likely the Giants finish with 13 or more wins, but it'd still suck. All the injuries, no Romo for 3 games, yet we manage to turn it around and win our last 7 games. A wildcard berth seems like a shatty prize for that accomplishment.

2) We win 6 of 7 and finish 11-5 and still miss the play-offs. This might just make my head explode! Looking at the standings it looks possible, but is it?

If not likely, is it possible we finish 11-5 on the outside looking in?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
sonnyboy;2442660 said:
Two possible outcomes to the season that would really piss me off.

1) We win out 12-4 and still lose the division to the Giants. I know it's now likely the Giants finish with 13 or more wins, but it'd still suck. All the injuries, no Romo for 3 games, yet we manage to turn it around and win our last 7 games. A wildcard berth seems like a shatty prize for that accomplishment.

2) We win 6 of 7 and finish 11-5 and still miss the play-offs. This might just make my head explode! Looking at the standings it looks possible, but is it?

If not likely, is it possible we finish 11-5 on the outside looking in?
Personally, I hope that we finish 12-4 AND not finish first in the division. It would give this team that much more of an incentive to play each playoff game at an even higher level than it attempted to do as a divisional winner last season. With today's parity, making and winning the Super Bowl as a wild card isn't as much an obstacle as it once was. I say let this team stay as hungry and desperate as possible if it were to finish 12-4.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
what sucks about having to play so well down the stretch, is that if we make the postseason, we'll have to play tough for a stretch of games again

is this team up to the challenge?

btw, it's frustrating that we haven't had a losing record yet this year, yet we may not make the playoffs in the end :banghead:

tiny tim

Reaction score
Who knows how things will play out in the end, but it could come down to the tiebreakers as to who makes the playoffs.

It might be better if Tampa does not win the NFC South, since we win the tiebreaker over Tampa. Let us say that Washington wins the 5th seed with a record of 11-5. Now who would be the 6th seed? Well let us say that Dallas,Carolina and Tampa are the only teams that are 10-6 and Tampa and Carolina have the best record in the NFC South. Let us also say that Carolina has a better NFC record that Dallas. If Tampa wins the tiebreaker over Carolina to win the NFC South, Dallas would miss the playoffs since Carolina would win the tiebreaker over Dallas for the 6th seed. But if Carolina wins the tiebreaker over Tampa to win the NFC South, Dallas would make the playoffs since they would win the tiebreaker over Tampa for the 6th seed.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
tiny tim;2442726 said:
Who knows how things will play out in the end, but it could come down to the tiebreakers as to who makes the playoffs.

It might be better if Tampa does not win the NFC South, since we win the tiebreaker over Tampa. Let us say that Washington wins the 5th seed with a record of 11-5. Now who would be the 6th seed? Well let us say that Dallas,Carolina and Tampa are the only teams that are 10-6 and Tampa and Carolina have the best record in the NFC South. Let us also say that Carolina has a better NFC record that Dallas. If Tampa wins the tiebreaker over Carolina to win the NFC South, Dallas would miss the playoffs since Carolina would win the tiebreaker over Dallas for the 6th seed. But if Carolina wins the tiebreaker over Tampa to win the NFC South, Dallas would make the playoffs since they would win the tiebreaker over Tampa for the 6th seed.

That's why you need to pull for Carolina each week. They even play the Giants so that works. But I don't believe in TB. They won't win the South.

Atlanta and Washington concern me.

Part of me wants them to upset the Giants so we can stay in the division race. The other part see it as a lost cause and a Washington win over the Giants just increrases the odds of an 11-5 finish for them.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
Still holding out hope for this:

Tampa

W---New Orleans
L---@ Carolina
L---@ Atlanta
L---San Diego
W---Oakland

Final Record - 10-6

Carolina
L---@ Green Bay
W---Tampa Bay
W---Denver
L---@ New York Giants
L---@ New Orleans

Final Record - 10-6

Atlanta
L---@ San Diego
L---@ New Orleans
W--Tampa Bay
W---@ Minnesota
W---Saint Louis

Final Record - 10-6

Dallas
W---Seattle
W---Pittsburgh
W---Giants
W---Baltimore
W---Philadelphia

Final Record - 12-4 NFC East Champ #1 seed

NYG
L ---@Washington
L----Philadelphia
L---@Dallas
W---Carolina
W--@Minnesota

Final Record - 12-4

Washington

W--New York Giants
L---@ Batlimore
W---Cincinnati
W---Philadelphia
W---@ San Francisco

Final Record - 11-5

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;2439439 said:
Washington (10-6)
New York Giants L
@ Batlimore L
Cincinnati W
Philadelphia W
@ San Francisco W

Tampa Bay (11-5)
New Orleans W
@ Carolina L
@ Atlanta L
San Diego W
Oakland W

Carolina (12-4)
@ Green Bay W
Tampa Bay W
Denver W
@ New York Giants L
@ New Orleans W

Atlanta (9-7)
@ San Diego L
@ New Orleans L
Tampa Bay W
@ Minnesota L
Saint Louis W

Remember, one of these NFC South teams will win the division.

Either way, looks like an 11-5 record would be needed to have a good chance at the playoffs. Yuck.

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
sonnyboy;2443155 said:
Still holding out hope for this:
Dallas
W---Seattle
W---Pittsburgh
W---Giants
W---Baltimore
W---Philadelphia

Final Record - 12-4 NFC East Champ #1 seed

NYG
L ---@Washington
L----Philadelphia
L---@Dallas
W---Carolina
W--@Minnesota

Final Record - 12-4

...right...

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
I'll go with this for now.

1. New York Idiots
2. Tampa Bay
3. Arizona
4. Chicago
5. Dallas
6 Minnesota or Washington

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
sonnyboy;2443143 said:
That's why you need to pull for Carolina each week. They even play the Giants so that works. But I don't believe in TB. They won't win the South.

Atlanta and Washington concern me.

Part of me wants them to upset the Giants so we can stay in the division race. The other part see it as a lost cause and a Washington win over the Giants just increrases the odds of an 11-5 finish for them.

The Bucks are somewhat overrated because of their easy schedule, but it isn't going to get harder. Worse case scenario they go 2-3 (beating only Oakland and one of 4) in the final stretch finishing 10-6. This weekend they should beat the saints at home.

Statistically, the Panthers are the worst team in the NFC South but they are managing to get wins. They having a surprisingly good pass defense. I forsee them getting a few losses, but not this week. They should be able to run well against the packers because of the favorable matchup, otherwise the teams are matched well. Its a tossup, but leans Carolina.

Don't worry about Washington, their wildcard chances will slip away. The giants should dominate the low scoring skins (ranked 27th). That's enough about that.

Atlanta is a cause for concern. They have a good young QB and they are running the ball well. Roddy White is 27 yards away from 1000 receiving, and Michael turner already has 1000 rushing. The giants, jets, cardinals, saints, packers, or cowboys arn't that balanced (with the closest being Packers and Cowboys). Everyone keeps saying the falcons will fall apart since their QB is young, but its almost the end of the year. You have to believe teams are what their records indicate. Atlanta beats up on a weak San Diego secondary.

I don't really know what the best case scenario is, we just have to keep winning until the picture becomes clearer. We need Washington to lose though, I know that. (and a win vs seahawks of course)