Will any Cowboys player sit for the anthem week 1?

ShortRound

Reaction score
Exactly. It might not effect some but it does effect others including people that served in the military. .. Millions of people many that are fans of the NFL. Kap never should have brought this into a sports event. The fact that so many are angry should tell you all you want to know about it. Many turn to sports to get away from this sort of stuff.

This so much. Sports is supposed to be an escape from the daily drama of this life. I hope everyone here has a wonderful life, but there are some who use sports to escape life's stress. Kap introduced that whole aspect into something I didn't want tainted by all that crap.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Look for it; if Colin Kaepernick isn't on an NFL team roster by opening day, even as a backup, their Will be NFL players who will demonstrate their solidarity, possibly even kneeling during the anthem, daring owners to do something.

This won't be about players agreeing with Kaepernick about the country and injustice or about disrespecting the flag, and they will say that. This will be about anger that the NFL owners are blackballing a member of the NFL brotherhood. There are 100 QBs in camp, including our own noodle arm Moore, whose ugly velocity was on display last night. Say what you will about the guy; there are not 50 QBs better than Kaepernick. Now we see injuries starting to threaten teams' seasons.

Even the players who hate what he did will support Kaepernick's right to work and have another chance. I hope he gets signed in the coming weeks so this can go away, but if not, look out.

Jerry warned them after tge Kaeper-scrub antics that there would be consequences if they did.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Jerry warned them after tge Kaeper-scrub antics that there would be consequences if they did.
I bet the perpetrator that would violate Jerry's verbal edict hits the trading block in short order,as core beliefs and values should transcend monetary gain, and Jerry already has the latter,,,in spades.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
:omg: wow denim! I gotta say on the one hand that inanimate object of which you freely speak of is this NATIONS flag in battle and at peace,,,it don't change,political views,national level leadership and twisted logic Changes,,,but not the Flag,you wouldn't stand a snowballs chance if you were to express those similar views in an ironfisted dictatorship lead nation , but I know your a smart dude and you already know the odds are slim to none of pulling that off over in a country like that(North Korea comes to mind) and continue enjoying breathing,,, and that inanimate object of which is this nations national flag is carried, presented and displayed by a military color GUARD,,, ever see those left and right rifle bearing defensive ends on either side of that inanimate object? You might have inadvertently caught sight of them in the past and were just totally oblivious to what you were looking at,,,I understand bro!,,, while on the other hand I am absolutely thrilled and tickled pink that you reside in a country that allows you to continue breathing after expressing those views of which you hold,,,, not saying your views are right or wrong just saying their your views!
( there is a lot of things not right with the country, I'll be one of the first to say that and leave it at that)

I appreciate your views, I really do. They are commonly held and, in fact, inculcated by our Government. But the reason America is free is not because of the Military. It is because of the Constitution (which in fact specifically prohibits Military roles in Government), but even more important is the inherent desire of every citizen to be free which was instilled in our National DNA from this countries inception. The flag is a symbol of this desire freedom. And don’t get me wrong, the Military is important to the Nation’s defense and those who serve are deserving of respect. But the reason I point out that the flag is a symbol of a citizen’s desire for freedom is to illustrate why someone like Kap would choose the form of protest he did and why it is appropriate.

Whatever your belief on the situation with police and blacks in America, you cannot deign that black people feel disenfranchised. They have struggled from slavery through segregation, fought racism at every level and now feel they are being unjustly targeted and killed from the very people whose job it is to protect American Citizens. Whether they are correct that police are unjustly targeting them or they simply feel that way because of the recent highly publicized incidents the fact is they do not feel equal—they do not feel free.

This is why Kap choose the symbol of a citizens desire for freedom to stage his protest. He is not disrespecting the Military or the Country by doing this. He is illustrating that he feels that there is impediment to his (and his people’s) freedom. Is he the perfect representative? No, but he doesn’t have to be.

Whether he is being blackballed from the NFL or just doesn’t fit in with a team’s plan is beside the point I’m trying to make. I simply take exception with those who are unjustly, irrationally, and vehemently condemning him for aspects of his protest which are falsely alleged due to the propaganda regarding the Military, the Flag, and the Anthem as infallible symbols apart from reality (e.g. he is disrespecting the Military).

Melonfeud

Reaction score
That's a pretty convincing post @Denim Chicken and I understand and appreciate what your passionately presenting, there are many, many things deemed unjust, while you and I will continue to hold opposite views concerning Kaepernick's perceived disrespect of the military or non disrespect , (if I were king,,, it's Mandatory national service required of every citizen) but to go to the last page in the playbook and start violently eliminating the perceived cause and (obviously, from reading your civil and pretty cool rebuttal) commonly viewed catalyst to this oppression ,although there's nothing like the barrel of a gun to get your point across except maybe human heads on sticks and it strikes an immediate statement,, it ain't the way to successfully overcome the stated plight/ struggle your illustrating ,,bro! There were good black men(police officer's)amongst the good Men being ambushed ,,,where the hell's the logic in that? If I'm following you correctly,,, look,if you got a rabid mad mean dog ,big green ogre or band of Violent bisexual gypsies camped out in your yard posing a real and viable threat to you or your community's well-being,,, you put them down,,, as that **** don't fly in a civil Society,,,regardless.

Demin I'm gonna leave you with this: I was watching a rerun of ' good times' last nite( ya,,, I know,,, Mr. no life Melon) Thelma had some kinda football stud boyfriend and at the end Michaels calling him out on the carpet ,grilling him in adamant passion as to WHY there isn't any black head coaches in the N.F.L. yet and just what the hells up with that!,,, I had to scratch my head and start thinking just when that first aired,,,cuz' that's been a non issue for many,many moons now.

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
I appreciate your views, I really do. They are commonly held and, in fact, inculcated by our Government. But the reason America is free is not because of the Military. It is because of the Constitution (which in fact specifically prohibits Military roles in Government), but even more important is the inherent desire of every citizen to be free which was instilled in our National DNA from this countries inception. The flag is a symbol of this desire freedom. And don’t get me wrong, the Military is important to the Nation’s defense and those who serve are deserving of respect. But the reason I point out that the flag is a symbol of a citizen’s desire for freedom is to illustrate why someone like Kap would choose the form of protest he did and why it is appropriate.

Whatever your belief on the situation with police and blacks in America, you cannot deign that black people feel disenfranchised. They have struggled from slavery through segregation, fought racism at every level and now feel they are being unjustly targeted and killed from the very people whose job it is to protect American Citizens. Whether they are correct that police are unjustly targeting them or they simply feel that way because of the recent highly publicized incidents the fact is they do not feel equal—they do not feel free.

This is why Kap choose the symbol of a citizens desire for freedom to stage his protest. He is not disrespecting the Military or the Country by doing this. He is illustrating that he feels that there is impediment to his (and his people’s) freedom. Is he the perfect representative? No, but he doesn’t have to be.

Whether he is being blackballed from the NFL or just doesn’t fit in with a team’s plan is beside the point I’m trying to make. I simply take exception with those who are unjustly, irrationally, and vehemently condemning him for aspects of his protest which are falsely alleged due to the propaganda regarding the Military, the Flag, and the Anthem as infallible symbols apart from reality (e.g. he is disrespecting the Military).

What I don't understand is why the Confederate Flag must be eradicated from history because it's an offensive symbol to some people, but many of the same people think the American Flag's symbolism to another group of people is not important.

I'm not from the South and don't really care about the Confederate Flag, but people who think it should be gone and then downplay the symbolism of the American Flag to others wreak of hypocrisy and self-centeredness or ignorance.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
There were good black men(police officer's)amongst the good Men being ambushed ,,,where the hell's the logic in that? If I'm following you correctly,,, look,if you got a rabid mad mean dog ,big green ogre or band of Violent bisexual gypsies camped out in your yard posing a real and viable threat to you or your community's well-being,,, you put them down,,, as that **** don't fly in a civil Society,,,regardless.

Not sure if I'm misinterpreting, but you seem to be implying that either Kap or I am advocating violence against police officers. That is not the case for either of us.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
What I don't understand is why the Confederate Flag must be eradicated from history because it's an offensive symbol to a some people, but many of the same people think the American Flag's symbolism to another group of people is not important.

That is a good point and the nature of symbolism--a symbol can mean different things to different people. That is why I argue against putting too much emphasis on symbols in the first place.

Melonfeud

Reaction score
Not sure if I'm misinterpreting, but you seem to be implying that either Kap or I am advocating violence against police officers. That is not the case for either of us.
Then I'm obviously not encompassing the narrow slice of pie that is your premise ,cuz' being a whole pie kinda guy that I am, I was even considering the practical value of the pan holding it.
Bottom line,Denim!
Kaepernick is suffering the backlash of his actions

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Then I'm obviously not encompassing the narrow slice of pie that is your premise ,cuz' being a whole pie kinda guy that I am, I was even considering the practical value of the pan holding it.

If you attribute the actions of every deranged individual as the result of an indistinct breadth of thinking then your view can be equated with supporting violence against innocent civilians. However, in both cases the premise is unwarranted and incorrect.

Melonfeud

Reaction score
If you attribute the actions of every deranged individual as the result of an indistinct breadth of thinking then your view can be equated with supporting violence against innocent civilians. However, in both cases the premise is unwarranted and incorrect.

Unfortunately ,however pure in concept and birthed in belief ' black lives matter' was deemed and viewed,,, it's not anymore!
Now, that is an all encompassing narrow view concerning that slice of the pie,Demin!
I merely pointed out the (obvious) merits (or lack thereof) of violence , never did imply I supported it,nor did you directly suggest I did with your brilliant opening word of "if",,,good talking to you Demin.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
You can't just cut away and disregard the parts of his protest that offends the military and what the flag represents to most Americans....... it is not in your power to do so..... when the NFL unfurls the giant flag and the military color guards present the flags for the Anthem and the jets do the fly-by it is all related and not just symbolic

Kap specifically chose the Flag and the Anthem for his personal protest, in uniform and at work.... a protest that you want to define but won't let others do the same...... even if it was just an attack on the Police it is not cool with most NFL fans...... but he is so sprawling in his message and all over the place that we know it is much more than that....... no NFL owner wants that in his clubhouse or his PR dept ......one lost sponsor could be 10s of millions........... not worth it for a guy like Kaepernick

If the NFL can move on from Greg Hardy, Ray Rice, Tim Tebow, Johnny Manziel, Josh Gordon, Justin Blackmon, Randy Gregory and Michael Sam they can surely move on without Colin "Neil" Kaepernick

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Unfortunately ,however pure in concept and birthed in belief ' black lives matter' was deemed and viewed,,, it's not anymore!
Now, that is an all encompassing narrow view concerning that slice of the pie,Demin!
I merely pointed out the (obvious) merits (or lack thereof) of violence , never did imply I supported it,nor did you directly suggest I did with your brilliant opening word of "if",,,good talking to you Demin.
It was and still is to that segment of society. Those that can't see the difference have never walked in their shoes.

They used the context that it was a protest to the flag to spin the argument into their narrative.

Melonfeud

Reaction score
It was and still is to that segment of society. Those that can't see the difference have never walked in their shoes.

They used the context that it was a protest to the flag to spin the argument into their narrative.

I can 'feel' where your coming from guys, yet, I'm merely relaying in an unbiased view( ya, certain parts of the sum of factors that contribute to the overall outlook to this 'issue' for lack of a better word right now and I know there's a much more powerfully significant one I'm grasping at but can't dig it up right now,, ya, certain parts of posted statements we differ greatly on,so if that makes my " unbiased view" laughable well,I can't help that)
But the overall consensus is one of rejection concerning kap's deeds and one resoundingly appalled rejection AND total outrage of the police bushwhacking conducted during or in the proximity of a BLM rally,,, the latter is an unbiased view in ANYBODY'S book, and no I'm not black but having been subjected to taunts/ridicule pretty much starting in grade #1 as a kid for being darker tanned /black headed in cracker town p.o. box hickville U.S.A. I can somewhat relate/ empathize to a degree,,, those A.I.M. stand-offs and firefights between the feds/Commanders in the 70's I'll mention but know better than to express my views concerning that.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
You can't just cut away and disregard the parts of his protest that offends the military and what the flag represents to most Americans....... it is not in your power to do so..... when the NFL unfurls the giant flag and the military color guards present the flags for the Anthem and the jets do the fly-by it is all related and not just symbolic

To equate freedom, the flag, or even the anthem solely with the military is a mistake that our founders would be quick to condemn. When they unfurl the giant flag and the military color guards as you described, you are right, it is not just symbolic--it is calculated. The Pentagon was paying teams to put on these patriotic displays as a means of recruitment in the not-to-distant past. I'm not stating this to disrespect honoring the military, but to illustrate that the fanfare is not entirety organic and that people's perception of the symbolism is in part crafted.

You accuse me of defining the protest, but not allowing you to do the same. This is not true. The protest is defined by its stated goals which did not include anything to do with the military. It was to raise awareness of an issue which (at least) was perceived lack of freedom--thus the choice of symbol.

Again, whatever his status is now with teams is besides the point I'm after. I really don't care about his employment status. You are right, he chose to do this at work. If he's bad for business, so be it.

Last edited:

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Again, whatever his status is now with teams is besides the point I'm after. I really don't care about his employment status. You are right, he chose to do this at work. If he's bad for business, so be it.
We can clearly agree there....... it was and is bad for business and in the NFL that is a Death Sentence

Philmonroe

Reaction score
What I don't understand is why the Confederate Flag must be eradicated from history because it's an offensive symbol to some people, but many of the same people think the American Flag's symbolism to another group of people is not important.

I'm not from the South and don't really care about the Confederate Flag, but people who think it should be gone and then downplay the symbolism of the American Flag to others wreak of hypocrisy and self-centeredness or ignorance.
We all are hypocrites about something. I don't think I've met someone over any time frame that that isn't the case. I mean look at how some were in Miami about they can't bring him in there because of the Cuban population. Some people see that and then going to be like why is it okay for them to have a say and not us. That's why on things like this I'm just going to be consistent one way or another so nobody can complain about how they were treated differently. I think that's the best way to deal with most things. As far as the flag idk one way or another

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The NFL or the 49ers could have shut it down but they were afraid it could explode . Instead they let it play out on its own while hoping not many other would join the protest . Which some did. And I bet not many could name them.

I wonder how we would have reacted if most of that segment in the NFL had joined in including stars.

Would we release Dak, Dez and Zeke if they kneeled?

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
The NFL or the 49ers could have shut it down but they were afraid it could explode . Instead they let it play out on its own while hoping not many other would join the protest . Which some did. And I bet not many could name them.

I wonder how we would have reacted if most of that segment in the NFL had joined in including stars.

Would we release Dak, Dez and Zeke if they kneeled?

Your question was meant to be thought provoking and it is. But consider this, doesn't the answer you believe most people will make support the reasons why Kaepernick hasn't been added to a roster?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Your question was meant to be thought provoking and it is. But consider this, doesn't the answer you believe most people will make support the reasons why Kaepernick hasn't been added to a roster?
No, my point was those who did kneel like Karpernick were expendable . If a larger number of NFL players and the stars in particular joined the protest not only would the movement have more teeth but the NFL would not be able to just sit by waiting for it to play out unless your suggesting teams would have released their best players.