Will Clap is questionable for Sunday's game

DHCBF66

Reaction score
I just went over the injury report for our game this week.

Sounds like there's a chance we aren't going to have our coach available Sunday night.

Sad thing is, the news reports say it benefits the Saints if Will Clap participates in the game. Pretty disrespectful if you ask me.
Try checking last years score against the Saints when Brees and the Saints were on fire. Garrett has out coached Peyton SEVERAL times!

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score

Sounds like there's a chance we aren't going to have our coach available Sunday night.

Sad thing is, the news reports say it benefits the Saints if Will Clap participates in the game. Pretty disrespectful if you ask me.
What the heck are you talking about?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

A link might have helped that joke go over better...

http://www.nfl.com/injuries
Drew Brees QB -- Did Not Participate In Practice --
William Clapp C -- Did Not Participate In Practice --
Thomas Morstead P -- Did Not Participate In Practice --
Tre'Quan Smith WR -- Did Not Participate In Practice --
Jared Cook TE -- Full Participation in Practice --
Cameron Jordan DE -- Full Participation in Practice --
Zachary Line RB -- Full Participation in Practice --
Terron Armstead T -- Limited Participation in Practice --
Sheldon Rankins DT -- Limited Participation in Practice --
Lawrence Warford G -- Limited Participation in Practice

http://www.nfl.com/player/willclapp/2561023/profile

visionary

Reaction score

Sometimes truth can be ‘disrespectful ‘

Scotman

Reaction score

Yep, my career as an on-line comedian has fizzled out before it ever got started.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score

Indeed. I just looked at their injury report and saw that their backup C is Will Clapp. Prior to that, I was not following his post at all! Thanks for clarifying for others!

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Garrett has made a few questionable decisions during his time as head coach, but the notion some have that he is liability on game day every week is false. People do this all the time where they exaggerate a few occurrences (a few admittedly notable) and begin to speak as if those kind of things happen every week.

Think about it ... one of the main incidents people use to support this belief is where Garrett was accused of "icing" his own kicker. Aside from the fact that people often don't explain the scenario accurately to begin with, that happened 8 years ago.

I say it and I don't include icing the kicker.

You don't need to go any farther than the last time Garrett gave the ball back to Aaron Rodgers with too much time on the clock, and rationalized ignoring the time left, *again*, saying that you can't worry about the time you leave because "you have to get your own score first".

That's bold, explicit, professional incompetence in game management. He *does* it. He *believes* in it. He's *impervious* to how many times it blows up in our faces.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I say it and I don't include icing the kicker.

You don't need to go any farther than the last time Garrett gave the ball back to Aaron Rodgers with too much time on the clock, and rationalized ignoring the time left, *again*, saying that you can't worry about the time you leave because "you have to get your own score first".

That's bold, explicit, professional incompetence in game management. He *does* it. He *believes* in it. He's *impervious* to how many times it blows up in our faces.
So, he was supposed to tell Linehan to not run plays he felt would help the Cowboys score to make sure the Packers didn’t get the ball back? Intentionally lose the game ourself to ensure Rodgers doesn’t get a last shot with the ball?

LOTS of teams have lost to Rodgers in the last minute. That’s not just a Cowboy or Garrett thing.

But, aside from that, that still isn’t a game in, game out occurrence like some want to present it.

kskboys

Reaction score
In the China street markets, they sell scorpions on stick.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
So, he was supposed to tell Linehan to not run plays he felt would help the Cowboys score to make sure the Packers didn’t get the ball back? Intentionally lose the game ourself to ensure Rodgers doesn’t get a last shot with the ball?
Garrett was supposed to maximize our chance to win, not maximize our next chance to score. You don't seem to get the difference any better than he does.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Garrett was supposed to maximize our chance to win, not maximize our next chance to score. You don't seem to get the difference any better than he does.
There is no chance to win without scoring, and I don’t buy the notioN that it’s better to risk never taking the lead at all than to give yourself the best chance to score?

I also don’t buy the notion that closing out close games is solely the responsibility of the offense.

Last edited:

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
and I don’t buy the notioN that it’s better to risk never taking the lead at all than to give yourself the best chance to score?

You don't have to buy it, but that's just the math.

The goal is to win the game. At every moment of the game, make your choices to maximize the probability to win, not the probability to make the next score.

Last edited:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You don't have to buy it, but that's just the math.

The goal is to win the game. At every moment of the game, make your choices to maximize the probability to win, not the probability to make the next score.

The math is you have to be ahead to win. If you never take the lead, there is zero chance to win, and if you diminish your chances to take the lead you diminish your chances to win.

It’s easy to sit at home and say we should finish every 4th quarter go ahead drive with only 5 seconds on the clock, but that’s not reality. Sure you try to take time off the clock, and if it can be done where there are only a few seconds left, that’s terrific. But a team can also shoot itself in the foot if it refuses to take advantage of opportunities in the opposition. The reality is defenses sometimes have to finish out games. It’s wholly unrealistic to think otherwise.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The math is you have to be ahead to win.

There's a lot more math than that. Game theory is a mathematical field. It's fine that you don't know it, but that Garrett believes things someone with a couple weeks in an undergraduate course in game theory or decision theory would know is absurd is not fine.

Last edited:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There's a lot more math than that. Game theory is a mathematical field. It's fine that you don't know it, but that Garrett believes things someone with a couple weeks in an undergraduate course in game theory or decision theory would know is absurd is not fine.

Mathematics doesn’t not support running plays designed to hinder scoring, and overthinking can often have the opposite result from what is intended. What I’m confident math does support (and history) is that if a team goes ahead with a minute left on the clock it is likely to win.

You act as if the Cowboys are the only team that has lost close games with Rodgers, or as if other teams never have to rely on their defense to close out the last minute or two of a game. You know that’s not reality, and you know it’s not easy to make things play out where a drive ends at exactly the point on the clock you would have it end in a perfect world with exactly the result you want.

So we will have to agree to disagree, nevertheless, nothing you have said suggests that there is a game after game problem.