Will Cooper Rush be cut?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
With Lance having a $5 million price tag, is there any way we will keep Cooper Rush on this team. It's been said that Mike likes to keep 3 QBS on the roster.

In paying Lance, it would almost be smarter to draft a rookie and develop him, which would be cheaper than having Lance at 5 million and Cooper at $2 million. What will we do in the end? DISCUSS!!!!

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I been saying this for a month.

However with the cap going up much more than anticipated. It depends on how they restructure other contracts, and extensions. They may be able to absorb that $2.5 million easily and keep him.

Qcard

Reaction score
Maybe if someone is willing to trade for Rush you move on. Why cut the guy if he's only making $2M in a $250+M cap? That's nothing these days, and It's not stopping you from signing anyone you want to sign.
Because Cooper Rush isn't even good enough to prevent Coach staff from splitting back-up/scout QB duties..

Nobody wanted Cooper Rush when he was a free agent last off-season but somehow Cap Boy took a victory lap :lmao: :lmao:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The Cowboys won’t be handing Trey Lance the backup job, it’s too important. Rush and Lance will compete for the job this summer. Rush has proved he can win some games so the Cowboys have some faith in him. For Lance to improve he needs competition.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
3 QB's is a must IMO- starter, backup, developmental. Dallas does not always see it that way.

Not a big Rush fan (the player), but who's the trusted back-up if he's gone? Dallas can upgrade there, but at what cost?

The contract situation with Lance is puzzling though. I didn't mind the 4th rounder for him, but I'm not sure the Cowboys have a well thought out end-game for him.

I'm ready to move on from the choke-master, but his contract is mind-numbing.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Being a lifetime dak support, I would hope they cut him. I can't stand that he won 5 games with the same team that dak had struggles with. I know it hurts and worries dak, so I say cut him so that is one less thing for dak to worry about.

plymkr

Reaction score
With Lance having a $5 million price tag, is there any way we will keep Cooper Rush on this team. It's been said that Mike likes to keep 3 QBS on the roster.

In paying Lance, it would almost be smarter to draft a rookie and develop him, which would be cheaper than having Lance at 5 million and Cooper at $2 million. What will we do in the end? DISCUSS!!!!
I think Lance has more potential than Rush but he doesn’t have the experience. If Dak were to miss 1 game I’d want to start Rush. If he were to miss the season I’d want to go with Lance to build for the future. But I think Rush is gone unless Lance bombs in the preseason.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Yes, more than likely Cooper Rush is getting cut in training camp, he's a progress stopper.....

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

I was gonna give you my thoughts and you changed it to discuss! WTH!
Cut Rush, roll with Lance at backup and take a chance for our 3rd QB late in the draft or middle rounds if one falls to us. If not sign a cheap FA.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Maybe if someone is willing to trade for Rush you move on. Why cut the guy if he's only making $2M in a $250+M cap? That's nothing these days, and It's not stopping you from signing anyone you want to sign.
Just me, but I'm guessing if Coop can't beat out Lance for the backup job, he will probably ask for his release. May be thinking it's more about politics and he can def find a backup job with another team.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
If Dak is not extended, Rush gets cut and Trey gets keys to the backup mode of Jerrys yacht

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
If he loses the 2nd spot I expect him to be cut only because MM has stated he likes that 3rd QB as a developmental type, and Rush is long past that stage.

Ken

Reaction score

He will either be cut or traded late in camp to a team that needs a competent backup. Maybe philly lol

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Just me, but I'm guessing if Coop can't beat out Lance for the backup job, he will probably ask for his release. May be thinking it's more about politics and he can def find a backup job with another team.
Fair point. The Cowboys may want to keep him as the emergency QB, but Rush my prefer to try his luck elsewhere.