Will Cooper Rush be cut?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Might as well cut Cooper Rush.

Dak and Mac are lame ducks, and all the veterans are being let go.

Let’s see what this kid Trey can do. He looked like poop when I last saw him, but hoping something magical will finally happen with a Jerry QB Project. Maybe Dak goes down just like Romo did and Trey comes out of nowhere.
Rush and Lance are not an either or. They're practically opposites. Both guys are worth a spot for what they bring. QB is the most important foundational piece on the team. Teams should invest *downroster* more than they do.

Rush is the low ceiling veteran backup who can run the offense tomorrow.

Lance is the high ceiling developmental backup who needs to develop both himself and his knowledge of our team to be useful here. Though his running ability gives him a leg up on immediate use before he develops on either front.

Both are good investments.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Sounds like you have no patience for QB development.
I agree with him. This will be Lance’s 4th year and if he can’t beat out Cooper Rush then we clearly wasted a 4th round pick. He was given an opportunity in SF and couldn’t even win the backup job. If a QB can play you start seeing the flashes very early on. We’re seeing more and more rookies have good seasons.

GINeric

Reaction score
With Lance having a $5 million price tag, is there any way we will keep Cooper Rush on this team. It's been said that Mike likes to keep 3 QBS on the roster.

In paying Lance, it would almost be smarter to draft a rookie and develop him, which would be cheaper than having Lance at 5 million and Cooper at $2 million. What will we do in the end? DISCUSS!!!!

Good ol' noodle arm Cooper Rush. I appreciate the guy, but we can easily draft a rookie that could do what Rush is capable of doing right now as we speak.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree with him. This will be Lance’s 4th year and if he can’t beat out Cooper Rush then we clearly wasted a 4th round pick.
Will he be ready this summer? Does he need another year? We simply don't know.

Sounds ridiculous but it's still to early based on his lack of experience and injuries.

We have given Dak 8 years already. What's the rush with Lance?

Cowboys93

Reaction score
The Cowboys won’t be handing Trey Lance the backup job, it’s too important. Rush and Lance will compete for the job this summer. Rush has proved he can win some games so the Cowboys have some faith in him. For Lance to improve he needs competition.
If Cooper Rush is the competition level for Lance then they’re idiotic for picking up that $5M option on him. He should definitively be QB2 by the start of 2024 regular season

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Will he be ready this summer? Does he need another year? We simply don't know.

Sounds ridiculous but it's still to early based on his lack of experience and injuries.

If he’s not ready this summer to compete with Cooper Rush and beat him out with all the work the Cowboys have been doing with him since last August then we wasted a 4th round pick. I wouldn’t be comparing Dak with Lance. Dak looked terrific in preseason his rookie year. This is why the team didn’t go after a veteran when Romo was injured. Dak had a terrific rookie season and proved he can play, which is why Romo was released. Lance was a bust in SF. He’s had 4 NFL starts and this will be his fourth season. If he doesn’t show something this summer he never will.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
If Cooper Rush is the competition level for Lance then they’re idiotic for picking up that $5M option on him. He should definitively be QB2 by the start of 2024 regular season
Rush is who he’ll be competing with. He’s going to have to beat him out to set his sights any higher. It’s not a sure thing he beats out Rush.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He’s been given 8 years because we’ve won four division titles with him, the most since Troy Aikman was our QB. He leads us to winning seasons every year. He’s been one of the most productive QBs in the league over his career and it would be very difficult finding a QB that’s better than him. Lance hasn’t shown anything in 3 seasons despite being given opportunities. It only took San Francisco two seasons to give up on him. Teams don’t stay with QBs for several years if they’re not showing anything. They’ll move on after three or four years if they’re not developing. With a salary cap you can’t hang on to players that aren’t progressing.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
One other point the Cowboys traded a 3rd round pick for Drew Henson and released him after only one season. Once they saw he didn’t have it and Romo moved ahead of him he was gone. To stick around awhile Lance is going to have to win the backup job.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
The $5 million was not an option. They assumed that responsibility when they traded for him. There is a fifth year option for over $20 million. I believe the team has to make that decision by May 2nd…of this year. I’m going to guess that’s a “no”.

birdwells1

Reaction score
With Lance having a $5 million price tag, is there any way we will keep Cooper Rush on this team. It's been said that Mike likes to keep 3 QBS on the roster.

In paying Lance, it would almost be smarter to draft a rookie and develop him, which would be cheaper than having Lance at 5 million and Cooper at $2 million. What will we do in the end? DISCUSS!!!!
Yes

birdwells1

Reaction score
One other point the Cowboys traded a 3rd round pick for Drew Henson and released him after only one season. Once they saw he didn’t have it and Romo moved ahead of him he was gone. To stick around awhile Lance is going to have to win the backup job.
No he won't, politics were in place to get him here and they are in place to keep him here.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
No he won't, politics were in place to get him here and they are in place to keep him here.
If he’s not good enough to be the backup he won’t be here long. They won’t keep paying him. They’re not going to pay a lot of money for a 3rd QB. We have some big contracts coming up and we’re dealing with a salary cap. You have to cut your losses.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Based on what???
Read my post with Ticket podcast links. Talking about it all week over there. Vets are dropping like flies based on the Jones Boys comments about their futures, Tyron newest one starting to leak.

I’m starting to believe the team is in a reboot mode, they’re just not saying it, and they’re being a little bit more methodical and slow than they should be. Maybe the Jones boys will surprise me and do something more like Philly did a few years ago after they won the Super Bowl, and then decided to reboot several things. Back in contention in a snap.

Back to the subject though, there’s really no point in hanging on to Cooper Rush because of that. He won’t be your future anything, but there’s a chance Trey might. Doesnt sound like the team is intent on resigning Dak. Does it undermine the coaches a little bit? Sure, but so does giving all of them one year contracts.

birdwells1

Reaction score
If he’s not good enough to be the backup he won’t be here long. They won’t keep paying him. They’re not going to pay a lot of money for a 3rd QB. We have some big contracts coming up and we’re dealing with a salary cap. You have to cut your losses.
It doesn't matter if he's better than Cooper because Jerry has to get value out of Trey due to him going out on a limb to acquire him. It's on record that he bypassed every "football" guy in the organization to trade for him, I think it was to manufacture leverage against Dak but if Trey doesn't work out it'll leave egg on Jerry's face and he can't have that. So he'll use his influence to make sure that Trey is the backup. Cooper's gone.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It doesn't matter if he's better than Cooper because Jerry has to get value out of Trey due to him going out on a limb to acquire him. It's on record that he bypassed every "football" guy in the organization to trade for him, I think it was to manufacture leverage against Dak but if Trey doesn't work out it'll leave egg on Jerry's face and he can't have that. So he'll use his influence to make sure that Trey is the backup. Cooper's gone.
Jerry went out on a limb when he used a 3rd round pick on Drew Henson. Once he realized it wasn’t working out with him he was released. Jerry won’t get any value out of Lance if he can’t win the backup job. They’re not going to just hand him the job. The team has some confidence in Cooper Rush because he’s won some games for them. Lance was acquired for only a fourth round pick so he’ll just cut his losses if it doesn’t work out. Jerry traded for Lance as a backup plan in the event Dak continued to regress and the team decided not to extend him.

Lance won’t provide any leverage against Dak because he hasn’t proven he can be a quality NFL starter. It’s not like Jerry is going to tell Dak’s agent that if Dak doesn’t want to agree to a certain contract, he’ll just go with Lance as his starter. Jerry isn’t about to go with Lance until he sees him play well and win some meaningful games. Jerry is used to having to wipe egg from his face. It’s not going to be a major blow to him to waste a fourth round pick on a player.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If he’s not ready this summer to compete with Cooper Rush and beat him out with all the work the Cowboys have been doing with him since last August then we wasted a 4th round pick.
Wow. Ok I guess we don't let players who need to learn and progress time to do that any more. I guess raw players don't even get a full year in the system.

If he beats out Rush then he does. If he doesn't it isn't a big deal like calling him a bust yet. He's never been through a Cowboys off season, mini camps, OTA's, training camp or anything.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He’s been given 8 years because we’ve won four division titles with him, the most since Troy Aikman was our QB. He leads us to winning seasons every year. He’s been one of the most productive QBs in the league over his career and it would be very difficult finding a QB that’s better than him.
When's the parade? Or did I miss it?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
When's the parade? Or did I miss it?
There won’t be a parade anytime soon with the QBs you and others are coming up with to replace him. We wouldn’t go anywhere with a bargain who’s been piling up losing seasons the past 3 years. Our best chance of seeing a parade sooner rather than later is with the QB we have.