Will Cooper Rush be cut?

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
So either he is perpetually injured enough for them to give up on a 1st rounder they gave up three 1st round picks to get.... .or he simply sucks.
I guess that's why Atlanta gave up Brett Favre then, he sucked, right?

OR maybe San Fran realized the Qb they drafted last in the draft in Purdy was a better fit for the type of offense they were going to run and decided to move on from Lance and kept a veteran backup instead of a developmental player....Cowboys liked Lance in the draft, so they threw a fourth round selection at San Fran to develop him and to see what he has.....he may turn into a starter or maybe he'll be another Drew Henson, time will tell, and this is the year for Lance to show development...We already know what Cooper Rush is and that's not a long term starter in Dallas...

shabazz

Reaction score
I guess that's why Atlanta gave up Brett Favre then, he sucked, right?
Favre was traded away by Atlanta because he had an alcohol and substance abuse issue and he refused to focus on football and instead was drawn to that same Atlanta nightlife. Green Bay was chosen because of the lack of temptation there.

Lance has been a model employee for the Niners organization but sadly can't blame exterior issues dragging him down......Shanahan and his great staff simply couldn't him to perform.

As far as Dak, Rush and Lance go, I wouldn't give a bag of farts for any of them.

We need to do better and not drafting a QB above the 4th round for the last quarter century ain't gettin it done

Creeper

Reaction score
I think NFL teams have to have 3 QBs today. If they cut Rush, they will sign someone else. They just trade for Lance so he is not going anywhere unless someone offers them a deal they cannot refuse.

But letting Lance compete for the #2 spot is exactly the right thing to do. If Lance beats out Rush for the spot, that is good for the Cowboys.

SinceDayOne

Reaction score
Answers will come. May be in the preseason but one of the two guys will likely move on. At this point I am leaning toward Rush as the keeper because he is cheaper and the Jones boys like cheap. Unless Lance lights it up and really impresses then he is probably the one out the door.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
From what was written, Shannahan was sold on Purdy after watching him in practice.

But Shanahan had a surprising message for the owner: "I think our third-string quarterback is our best quarterback." Purdy, of course, began his career behind both Trey Lance, the No. 3 overall pick in 2021; and Jimmy Garoppolo, who led San Francisco to the Super Bowl in 2019.

he gave up on Trey once he saw Purdy in practice.

raven55

Reaction score
THE CHOKER will get his MONEY and cooper will get cut and the explosion after this season will happen and the senile old man will have to get his paternity test and steven will blow a head a Gasket trying to hold on to the team and the 27 year old probadly will get nothing out of this whole thing but it makes for a good story anyway

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
With Lance having a $5 million price tag, is there any way we will keep Cooper Rush on this team. It's been said that Mike likes to keep 3 QBS on the roster.

In paying Lance, it would almost be smarter to draft a rookie and develop him, which would be cheaper than having Lance at 5 million and Cooper at $2 million. What will we do in the end? DISCUSS!!!!
Most probably. Why pay him and lance.....we just picked up his contract at 5M. Let's figure out what does this kid have

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Of course he won't be cut. He's proven he can win games when given the opportunity. Not saying he is an ALL Pro ...but being a backup takes a certain mindset to succeed, and he does have that.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Might as well cut Cooper Rush.

Dak and Mac are lame ducks, and all the veterans are being let go.

Let’s see what this kid Trey can do. He looked like poop when I last saw him, but hoping something magical will finally happen with a Jerry QB Project. Maybe Dak goes down just like Romo did and Trey comes out of nowhere.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
He does? Is that why all those teams rushed to sign him when he was a FA last year?
Most of Rush's value is probably not fungible. He knows our system and our players. He came here in 2017. He's started games here.

If given a couple of years, maybe he delivers the same value elsewhere. But who wants to invest a roster spot on a QB with that low a physical ceiling?

I'd argue that given the cost of QBs, it would probably be worth the cost of the investment. For other teams. Certainly for ours.

There are more Romos and Purdys out there who just never got the chance. Romo could have gotten cut, and then had to start over at another team. Same for Dak. Dak could have been a backup a *long* time if the stars didn't align to give him a great rookie season.