Will defenses stack 9 on the line now?

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
I mean I know they let go of Dez. But guys like Hurns, Williams, Beasley, etc will scorch a defense if they put 9 in the box.

Let’s not get carried away.

And Switz will be used more at wr this year, he has speed. The wr we draft (1st rnd or 2nd rnd), can most likely run routes and get separation. Teams wanna put 9 in the box, bad idea.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
they'll just repeat the strategy from last year. dare Dak to beat them. Our WR can run the best routes possible but wont make a difference if Dak keeps dumping off to witten for 3 yard gains

Well he won't be forcing passes to Dez over and over. That will only help. And our recievers should be able to get some separation this season (with all the new additions).

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, here is another way to look at a stacked box. Without Dez, the defenses will not know who to target, so we just need a WR to make a few plays to get the attention of the DC's. Then that opens it up for Zeke.

This is of course if Dak improves his accuracy to get the ball to a WR.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
they'll just repeat the strategy from last year. dare Dak to beat them. Our WR can run the best routes possible but wont make a difference if Dak keeps dumping off to witten for 3 yard gains

This is absolutely true. And anyone willing to go back and look at the tape can see the missed opportunities.

Again, there is no one, absolute cause or reason for the offensive struggles of 2017, there are several. But Prescott's own issues and struggles were certainly one of them.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I

Actually, that’s the strategy they used in the first 8 games, with Zeke. And Dak was playing pretty well and in pace for over 40 TD’s.

Once Zeke was out, defenses played back and dared Alfred Morris to beat them.

So it’s really the opposite of what you said......

Dak needs to play better. But if you honestly think it’s as simple as what you stated, you’re mistaken.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
Geez, everyone acts like Dez was lighting the field on fire with his play :cool:

Hasn't produced a 1000 yard season in 3 years... I think we will be fine. Maybe even better with the new guys and a rookie or two
I liked Dez and wasn't really on board with the cut and even I can agree with this. Dez was average at best the last three years.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Was Dez even doubled last year? LOL. Not sure he would have warranted single! (snarky remark..)

I'm not sure most fans know what "double coverage" looks like in the NFL, especially when the opposing team knows there's a 90% chance you're going to run one of two routes.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
We exaggerate how often teams stack the box against us. Zeke only rushed against 8 in the box on 35% of his carries. Plenty of RBs faced more stacked boxes last year. Alfred Morris faced a greater % if stacked boxes than Zeke.

Last edited: