Will history repeat itself Cowboys/49ers?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
1981 Week 6
San Francisco-45
Dallas-14

1981-82 NFC Championship:
San Francisco-28
Dallas-27

2023 Week 5
San Francisco-42
Dallas-10

2023-24 NFC Championship:
?
?

Hopefully the Cowboys can erase the past!
I’m hoping we won’t face SF in the playoffs unless it’s champ game cause they are my odds on favorite to win SB. But would be progress finally making it.

And our past with SF isn’t all bad. We have beat them in NFC championship game 4 times losing twice ( 4-2) and overall playoff appearances (5-4).

blueblood70

Reaction score
Ditto.

I want to see DAL meet & defeat SF in the playoffs. If you want to claim you're the best, then you have to beat the best. And SF is without question the king of the hill in the NFC (and the entire League, IMO) right now.
You do realize that Brett farve with the Packers and Steve young with the 49ers since we're on the 49ers kick could not get past the 90s Cowboys and still we started to deteriorate Jimmy Johnson left blah blah blah it literally took that to them to breakthrough this is not the first time in history a team has a monkey on their back with a specific team and that very 49ers team could not beat the old Cowboys until we spotted him 21 points and lost by 10 with troy aikman, troy finally lost and young finally broke through..
do you remember when texas stadium used to bother Brett farve with the hump in the field. he overthrew all first hall, tried his best to come back and fell short?? i do,,.yup evn the great had issues

Doomsday77

Reaction score
Frankly, I'm sick and tired of losing to the 49'ers!!! Would LOVE to pummel them if we face them again, but I don't think we match up better than they do. It's disheartening. I hope the boys prove me wrong, though.
What do ya mean? We beat them a couple of years ago when Bernie K. threw that crossing pattern to Alvin H. for a TD??? The good ol days.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
I'm hoping Dallas avoids San Fran as long as possible in the playoffs and hope someone upsets them prior to a Dallas rematch.....I just think the Niners are the best overall team in the NFC with Dallas, Detroit and Philly a tier behind...
If you want to win a title you can't be afraid of anyone. Bring on SF anywhere, any time.

mrmojo

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I was referring to the 1981 season because that was the year Cowboys/49ers played twice like this year possibly. Both games will possibly be play in SF and the scores of the first games were blowout wins by SF.
1993 they played twice and Cowboys won both

In 94 49ers won both.

renny

Reaction score
In the 1993 season, they played twice. The Cowboys won both games - 26-17 in the regular season and 38-21 in the NFCC.
So the trend that I was referencing to does not bold well for the Cowboys. I was only posting on when the two teams play twice in the regular season and in the NFC Championship Game. However, I wasn't aware that the Cowboys defeated SF twice in a season including the NFC Championship Game.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you want to win a title you can't be afraid of anyone. Bring on SF anywhere, any time.
To be the best, you must be the best. San Francisco is the latest, in-the-moment, boogeyman for some fans and media (outside Philadelphia).

They may be deserving of that distinction but it is a status that must be proven on the field. It is not necessary for Dallas to fear what the 49ers are capable of. It is absolutely vital the Cowboys have learned from the earlier game with San Francisco (and Philadelphia for that matter), improve their level of play and excel beyond what the 49ers are capable of.

THAT'S championship level football. It is not cowering and shaking (not you) of what might NOT happen to San Francisco between now and whenever. It's come and get some. That's where Dallas must be, namely, dictate the outcome of every game forward.

And if they drag anyone anxious about this-or-that with them on the road to ultimate success, so be it. It would not be the first time this franchise, or any other championship winning team in sports, has done already, lol..

Mark

Reaction score
do you remember when texas stadium used to bother Brett farve with the hump in the field. he overthrew all first hall, tried his best to come back and fell short?? i do,,.yup evn the great had issues
I visited Texas Stadium in Nov. 1996, for a Monday Night game against Favre (& Reggie White) and the Packers. Cowboys won, 21-6, on the strength of an NFL-record seven Chris Boniol FGs. Went back the next morning for a stadium tour, which included the locker room, and about 30 mins. casually tossing a football around on the field. Couldn't get over how ridiculously pronounced that "hump" was. All sweeps were definitely run "downhill." No question that feature could affect certain throws.

Plankton

Reaction score
So the trend that I was referencing to does not bold well for the Cowboys. I was only posting on when the two teams play twice in the regular season and in the NFC Championship Game. However, I wasn't aware that the Cowboys defeated SF twice in a season including the NFC Championship Game.
In 1972, the Cowboys lost to the 49ers in the regular season 31-10, but beat them on the road in the divisional round, 30-28, behind Staubach's amazing fourth quarter comeback.

lostar2009

Reaction score
I blame the FO. After the beating this team took we should've retool before the trade dead line. But they sat still. A quality level LB or DT can make a world of difference.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
And where did I say Dallas was "afraid" of SF???? oh that's right, I didn't....SF has had Dallas number for three plus years, if you can avoid them in the first two rounds because you don't match up well against them, and if another team happens to knock them off before you'd have to meet them, that's a good thing, has nothing to do with being "Afraid"....

Blackrain

Reaction score
January 2nd 1973 Dallas Cowboys 14 San Francisco 49ers 3 went on to win our first super bowl against Miami.

***There is a disclaimer these wins were accomplished by the real Dallas Cowboys ***

Blackrain

Reaction score
December 12th 1977 Dallas Cowboys 42 San Francisco 49ers 35.

Roger Staubach 14 for 19 three touchdown passes one rushing touchdown.
Went on to beat Denver in the super bowl

Blackrain

Reaction score
In 1972, the Cowboys lost to the 49ers in the regular season 31-10, but beat them on the road in the divisional round, 30-28, behind Staubach's amazing fourth quarter comeback.
He threw touchdown passes in the 4th quarter to Billy parks and Ron sellers a truly amazing comeback and iconic piece of cowboys history.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I visited Texas Stadium in Nov. 1996, for a Monday Night game against Favre (& Reggie White) and the Packers. Cowboys won, 21-6, on the strength of an NFL-record seven Chris Boniol FGs. Went back the next morning for a stadium tour, which included the locker room, and about 30 mins. casually tossing a football around on the field. Couldn't get over how ridiculously pronounced that "hump" was. All sweeps were definitely run "downhill." No question that feature could affect certain throws.
:hammer: :thumbup:cool

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
I agree with this. If we face SF in the playoffs, we're clearly the underdog. We would have to win via an upset in their park. Not impossible, but definitely a tall order.
We need the offense play it like any other match and the D play it like last years playoff , where we held them less than 20 .