Will history repeat itself Cowboys/49ers?

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
I'm hoping Dallas avoids San Fran as long as possible in the playoffs and hope someone upsets them prior to a Dallas rematch.....I just think the Niners are the best overall team in the NFC with Dallas, Detroit and Philly a tier behind...
Dallas and Philadelphia did nothing against them. Who is going to eliminate them in the playoffs?

renny

Reaction score
I like how you skip right over 92,93. Your selection of history is a bit one sided in general.

19-19-1. What does that say about hx.
Did the teams play each other twice during those seasons?

starfan1

Reaction score
football is a funny game anything can happen but we will need breaks. They are more talented team. Despite what some on here want to belive this isnt about just the QB

blueblood70

Reaction score
Absolutely nothing, it's just that the season in 1981 and this season is shaping up the same.
Great since it means absolutely nothing can we stop talking about the last 27 years because nothing that this current team or coaching staff has anything to do with what happened 10 years ago or 27 years ago or 33 years ago I'm glad we got that settled because it doesn't none of it matters the only thing that matters is a week to week game that you have on your schedule... Maybe more people will stop worrying about using those broken overuse narratives that mostly are false some of these players were not even born in 1996 some of them were in diapers and some of them might have been eight years old but they have nothing to do with false narratives they're thrown around here on a regular basis so if we're gonna use that in here on this thread that what happened in 1981 will have no impact on this game it's the same thing as saying there's a curse or that we can't get it done for 27 years because that is not true this current team is not any of those teams... In fact this current team the last three seasons are going to probably win 3-12 win seasons in a row three playoff appearances in a row which hasn't been done since the mid 90s..

So let's stop talking about San Francisco and the next team up is the Eagles and we are gonna talk about them because we have all the way till 7:30 PM on Sunday night... That's a lot of waiting folks let's talk about the Eagles

ak47kaehu

Reaction score
Kinda off topic....... I'm not a numerology kinda person but have you guys seen the one comparing the injuries of Joe Theismann and Alex Smith? That one is freaky crazy.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Gilmore and Cooks were extremly positive moves, but the 49ers made moves too. Defensive Line is a strength for them, and a big part of their identity, but they still went out and added Hargrave, Ferrell, Gregory, and Young.

The Eagles had more draft capital and stole Swift for a 4th round pick. The Cowboys used next year's 4th round pick (Lance) and 5th round picks (Scott) on players who have not played a down this year. In fact, the Cowboys have received very little return this season from their 2023 draft class.

The Cowboys main teambuilding philosophy appears to be "everyone just play better" and maybe the team gets lucky and the 49ers/Eagles suffer some crucial injuries in the playoffs.

They are playing extremely well, especially Dak, CeeDee, Bland, and Parsons who are all playing at elite, All-Pro levels.

Imagine how good they can be with an aggressive and competent Front Office.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Coach Mac and DQ need to go to the Belichick book and do a 180 with playcalling if they play SF in the Tourney. Not a good matchup for us, need some type of edge.

Seems like Belichick always had a wrinkle with his defensive schemes that took out the strength of his opponent in the Playoffs.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
1981 Week 6
San Francisco-45
Dallas-14

1981-82 NFC Championship:
San Francisco-28
Dallas-27

2023 Week 5
San Francisco-42
Dallas-10

2023-24 NFC Championship:
?
?

Hopefully the Cowboys can erase the past!
Bye bye.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Gilmore and Cooks were extremly positive moves, but the 49ers made moves too. Defensive Line is a strength for them, and a big part of their identity, but they still went out and added Hargrave, Ferrell, Gregory, and Young.

The Eagles had more draft capital and stole Swift for a 4th round pick. The Cowboys used next year's 4th round pick (Lance) and 5th round picks (Scott) on players who have not played a down this year. In fact, the Cowboys have received very little return this season from their 2023 draft class.

The Cowboys main teambuilding philosophy appears to be "everyone just play better" and maybe the team gets lucky and the 49ers/Eagles suffer some crucial injuries in the playoffs.

They are playing extremely well, especially Dak, CeeDee, Bland, and Parsons who are all playing at elite, All-Pro levels.

Imagine how good they can be with an aggressive and competent Front Office.
None of that makes any sense whatsoever you say they stole swift no they got a running back who's had a major injury history because the team that didn't need him they didn't go steal him Detroit let both their running backs go and picked up jameer Gibbs or whatever his name is and have moved on and by the way we didn't need a player like swift we already had that guy and Tony Pollard you do realize their stats are almost identical, right?? And that did not make the Eagles better that was a parallel move they needed a running back because they moved on from Sanders who's a very good running back all they did is make a parallel move for one running back over the other, who pretty much do the same things..

All these competent moves by the Eagles you mean that has their defense ranked like I don't know 18th the 20th right now and they keep making all these moves that you all drool over and none of them are really helping and the only reason they have to make them in the middle of season picking up 30 year old plus players is because the ones they got are not working out from the offseason

they do have the best offensive line in football and one of the best defensive lines in football and they have a very good quarterback that's pretty much slight edges they have over us everything else we go toe to toe with them you act like Jerry's never made a move like they did for A.J. Brown yeah it was called amari Cooper same type of move paid the guy but then drafted well enough that they didn't need amari Cooper anymore moved on from him...

This front office makes trades or acquisitions in the offseason or through the draft that are very similar there isn't a big gap the only thing that the Eagles GM did that he was the best salesman ever somehow getting all that compensation for Carson wentz and people are saying we should have traded Prescott away for that type of deal because somehow they have it on the same level which is really dumb because that's not true at all...

I'm not knocking what the Eagles are doing but to say our front office is incompetent with the moves they've made the last five years that has us probably going on our third twelve win season in a row in our third playoff appearance in a row and you're saying it has nothing to do with them because they're tripping over their incompetence and getting lucky dude you need to go somewhere else with that nonsense because I believe you probably are an Eagles fan.....

And again you're right the Eagles make a lot of trades they make a lot of moves but not all of them work out and many of them do not but some of the things you're giving them credit for is because they're literally trying to do a reset because there's decisions they made in the offseason didn't work or they didn't have enough depth because they went through injuries but they're not genius moves they're not high risk moves a lot of these dudes they got this year are nobody they're literally has been what basically washed up and they're hoping that the moves they're making will fill the holes they absolutely have needs for this isn't add adding to their team and you're right the 49ers have done that... So that's two out of 32 teams and one you're very wrong about I I think that Jerry and Steven have quietly done a lot of the same things over the last five years that the Eagles have done they even picked a nose tackle in the first round at least we picked ours at 27 in the first round they picked theirs 13 who by the way both their rookie years look a lot alike so don't act like every move they make somehow turns into gold

RH, he's not Rumpelstiltskin jeez

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For 40+ years, I have tried forgetting the 1980, 1981 and 1982 seasons.

Yet, CowboysZone occasionally reminds me of that particular stretch when this franchise lost THREE STRAIGHT NFC CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!

CowboysZone can be so... cruel at times...

:(

Praxit

Reaction score
..this is your own confirmation bias.

Both teams in the past have had their fair share of wins n losses.

ONLY just recent have 49ers had Dallas number.

Sooner or later the bow will break. Dallas comes through.

Mark

Reaction score
Frankly, I'm sick and tired of losing to the 49'ers!!!
Ditto.

I want to see DAL meet & defeat SF in the playoffs. If you want to claim you're the best, then you have to beat the best. And SF is without question the king of the hill in the NFC (and the entire League, IMO) right now.

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
same thing when people say "they exposed the eagles defense in their game!" or we did some good things against the eagles in game 1, that's fine, but what does that have to do with THIS GAME!!!??
Right 1981 and four days ago. Same exact thing

Arkyvarminter

Reaction score
The current Niners team reminds me of the Niners and Cowboys teams of the 90's..good all the way around and hard to beat. We are not quiet there yet but a stud RB would help...alot

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Eagles dedication forum to the East, have at it!!!
:facepalm: actually .... :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
That sounds more like your spot.
I have never posted anything that shows I root for Philly or SF. But on the other hand, many on here have.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
If San Francisco plays the way they did against us earlier in the season and Philly last week, no one will beat them in the playoffs, especially at home. I’ll go as far as to say they’ll win by at least 2 scores against everyone. When the 49ers are playing their best they’re dominating on both sides of the ball. They beat up good teams like we beat up bad teams. The only thing that could bring them down is some key injuries like they had after they played us. Purdy went into a funk during that time and they began to sputter but they’re back to playing great football again.