Will Jerry Jones even inquire about DET Roy Williams?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Hostile;2306704 said:
Williams, the Lions' in-house fantasy football guru, was asked if he'd trade himself for a first-round pick from, say, the Cowboys.

"For this organization?" he said. "I don't know, man. I don't even know if I'm worth a first-round pick, to be honest. That's what the fans don't understand. I might be a second- or third-round pick."

I would not trade a first round pick for him. Not a chance.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Alexander;2306988 said:
I would not trade a first round pick for him. Not a chance.

Agreed-I'd rather use our 1st round pick next year an a LB, DT, or even an OL.

And for that matter too, I would like to use our 2nd rounder on either of those 3 positions as well.

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
If Terrell Owens get dinged up down the stretch, you'll see. We need a compliment, be it Williams or Boldin. Or Michael Crabtree in the draft, or even a guy like Percy Harvin.

I'm not that naive to assume that Patrick Crayton, Sam Hurd, and Miles Austin can bring this team a playoff win if Owens went down.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
depending on what we do with hamlin, we're going to have to address safety in the draft.

our defensive line hasn't been getting to the qb, so we have to address that, especially if they arent stopping the run.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Galian Beast;2306997 said:
depending on what we do with hamlin, we're going to have to address safety in the draft.

our defensive line hasn't been getting to the qb, so we have to address that, especially if they arent stopping the run.

Hamlin ain't going anwhere b/c of the big contract he signed a couple of months ago. And he's our FS too.

It's SS that's our glaring need for now. I wouldn't mind a big DT like Jamaal Williams, so Ratliff can move to his normal DE spot. And assuming Zach doesn't last another year or 2, I would love to see an ILB.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
ABQcowboyJR;2306079 said:
When your so close it might be worth it.

dont know if you've noticed, but there hasnt been much wrong with the offense

unless WR Roy Williams can be defensive coordinator, DB, safety, rush the passer and stop the run, he isnt a critical need

fortdick

Reaction score
Say we traded for Williams. Romo would have a legit deep threat over from Owens. Say Williams comes in and catches 10 TD passes during the last 11 games. Would TO go ballistic if someone took that many TDs from him. I don't see Witten getting less catches because he is the man on third down.

Granted we would have three solid receivers out there, but is TO too selfish to share? I would have thought not until this week, when we started up with the old crap again.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
dbair1967;2307032 said:
dont know if you've noticed, but there hasnt been much wrong with the offense

unless WR Roy Williams can be defensive coordinator, DB, safety, rush the passer and stop the run, he isnt a critical need
And if the deadline passes and we do lose Owens to another injury it will be to late to address a critical need.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
fortdick;2307040 said:
Say we traded for Williams. Romo would have a legit deep threat over from Owens. Say Williams comes in and catches 10 TD passes during the last 11 games. Would TO go ballistic if someone took that many TDs from him. I don't see Witten getting less catches because he is the man on third down.

Granted we would have three solid receivers out there, but is TO too selfish to share? I would have thought not until this week, when we started up with the old crap again.
Jerry Rice, John Taylor, Brent Jones.

Terry Glenn, Jason Witten, Patrick Crayton.

Teammates of TO who have never faced any criticism from TO despite taking TDs away from him.

Kilyin

Reaction score
The main hangup I have on Roy Williams is he's not very physical for a guy his size. If the corners are jamming him all game he doesn't tend to rise to the occasion. Correct me if you think I'm wrong.

Alexander

Reaction score
Kilyin;2307048 said:
The main hangup I have on Roy Williams is he's not very physical for a guy his size. If the corners are jamming him all game he doesn't tend to rise to the occasion. Correct me if you think I'm wrong.

He is huge and should be a physical mismatch, but he is not that physical for his size. And I would not exactly call him intense either. Buyer beware.

Boysboy

Reaction score
fortdick;2307040 said:

Well-he would be facing far less double coverage, that's for sure! I think that's where the frustration for him has mounted for the most part.

Alexander

Reaction score
Boysboy;2307056 said:
Well-he would be facing far less double coverage, that's for sure! I think that's where the frustration for him has mounted for the most part.

He was more productive two years ago and he faced far more double coverage than he does now playing with Calvin Johnson.

Eskimo

Reaction score
Boysboy;2306992 said:
Agreed-I'd rather use our 1st round pick next year an a LB, DT, or even an OL.

And for that matter too, I would like to use our 2nd rounder on either of those 3 positions as well.

Make that NT and I would agree. Trade up if we have to - let's not repeat the Wilfork mistake again where we could have had him if we leap-frogged the Pats. We've got some extra picks and we should use them to move up and grab an NT prospect (if there is one available and worth it - don't keep up with college football much).

Eskimo

Reaction score
His lack of productivity for a top-level WR has to be concerning for a team offereing up a #1 pick. I'd give up a conditional 2nd for him, nothing more. If we make the SB, Lions get a 2nd. If we don't they get a third.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Eskimo;2307078 said:
Make that NT and I would agree. Trade up if we have to - let's not repeat the Wilfork mistake again where we could have had him if we leap-frogged the Pats. We've got some extra picks and we should use them to move up and grab an NT prospect (if there is one available and worth it - don't keep up with college football much).

You mean the same Wilfork who goes after QBs knees every week?

No thanks-I'm glad we didn't get him.

Eskimo

Reaction score
Boysboy;2307082 said:
You mean the same Wilfork who goes after QBs knees every week?

No thanks-I'm glad we didn't get him.

Probably taught that by the Pats organization - always willing to bend the rules when it suits them.

I'd love to have a DL with him, Rat and a rotation of Canty/Spears at the other spot.

Spectre

Reaction score
Once again, who cares what T.O. thinks?
Since when has a team been successful by following their loud-mouthed receiver's advice?
Besides, he's not losing catches to anyone currently and he's chirping anyway. If I'm going to have to hear him chirp and whine, it might as well be because a younger, longer-term answer is stealing his productivity and leading to wins.

As far as a defensive player in the 1st round of the draft... we aren't likely to be anywhere near the top 15 so it's not quite as enticing. I've had enough Carpenter's and Spencer's late in the first round w/o seeing the improvement. This D currently has like 9 1st rounders on it and it's still underachieving. The unit has the talent already, it needs the proper scheming/coaching.

Give me Williams for a first now please because if not, Jerry won't outbid the top offer made to him in the offseason. I guarantee that. No trade = no Williams.

Alexander

Reaction score
Spectre;2307125 said:
Give me Williams for a first now please

A receiver with one 1,000 yard season to his credit in a pass happy system is worth a first round draft choice?