Will Jerry Jones even inquire about DET Roy Williams?

Westcoasthabsfan

Reaction score
Alexander;2307127 said:
A receiver with one 1,000 yard season to his credit in a pass happy system is worth a first round draft choice?

I think the quality of the QB's the Lions had has something to do with that... He would flourish in Big D.....

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Westcoasthabsfan;2307136 said:
What????? Are you kidding?

No, I am not kidding.

Roy Williams is becoming a legend based off of what? One very good season? I would take Boldin over him ten times over. He has stronger character and is able to produce consistently.

If I am giving up a first round choice, I would do it for the player than brings more to the table than Williams does.

Alexander

Reaction score
Westcoasthabsfan;2307138 said:
I think the quality of the QB's the Lions had has something to do with that... He would flourish in Big D.....

You keep thinking that.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
Hostile;2306136 said:
Yesterday I put the chances we acquire him via trade before October 14th at 70/30. I think there is a very real chance.

That GM is now gone.

There have already been discussions about acquiring him from before the Draft. Detroit called us. Also don't forget that Jerry himself basically admitted at one point that Williams is the guy we would target.

It's poker. Timing is everything. Detroit most likely will be 0-4 after this weekend and they have a new trilogy of people doing the job as GM. They have to rebuild.

That means draft picks.

The player most likely to bring them some draft picks is Roy Williams.

They will not re-sign him to a long term deal. They have not even made him an offer. If they Franchise tag him and no one accepts their asking price they are screwed.

They won't roll the dice that way unless they have no other choice.

70/30 and rising. If Detroit loses to Chicago I put the odds at 80/20. Next up would be at Minnesota. If they go 0-5 before the trade deadline the odds are 90/10.

No team is going to make a deal with them unless they can sign him long term. Long term he has two options that he has made very clear.

1. Stay with the team that Drafted him.

2. Go home to Texas.

It's poker. Patience will pay off.

agreed with every word. lets just hope we dont have 7-2 off suit...worst poker hand ever

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
Spectre;2306068 said:
I'm discouraged as I believe there's no chance of us acquiring Williams via trade this season and I think that's foolish.

But I would be fine if we didn't acquire him because the asking price was absurd.

My question is... do you think Jerry will even inquire about him or do you think Jerry believes that any likely price is too much for him in a contract year, their demands in the past have been ridiculous and our current team is fine without his addition? Also, because Jerry may have inquired in the past about him (draft day, etc.) would he just assume 'they'll call me' if they really want to do something?

Either way, I'm ticked off because I think it's dumb not to go after him and I'm convinced we won't. But I'd have an easier time swallowing it if I thought we made a legitimate attempt to but just couldn't pay their ridiculous price.

Jerry has paid good money for a top receiver, and he has invested in some young guys to become the #2 receiver. I don't think Crayton is anything more than a slot receiver, but, he is a good one.

Jerry has invested in some big money guys on defense, and that also precludes adding a big time #2 receiver.

Witten is a top notch tight end making more than average money.

If there has been a mistake made, I think it is drafting small college guys in the later rounds, or signing FAs from small colleges, because they have such a steep learning curve, on average.

Spectre

Reaction score
Alexander;2307139 said:
No, I am not kidding.

Roy Williams is becoming a legend based off of what? One very good season? I would take Boldin over him ten times over. He has stronger character and is able to produce consistently.

If I am giving up a first round choice, I would do it for the player than brings more to the table than Williams does.
I would agree Boldin is the better player and I'd be all over trading for him as well.
But I don't think the Boldin thing is likely, either. Boldin might cost even more than a 1st having the year he's having and has a little more wear and tear on him than Williams.

I am confident that Williams would be a completely different player in the Dallas offense. No other team could make Roy Williams realizing his potential like the Cowboys.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Spectre;2307227 said:
I would agree Boldin is the better player and I'd be all over trading for him as well.
But I don't think the Boldin thing is likely, either. Boldin might cost even more than a 1st having the year he's having and has a little more wear and tear on him than Williams.

I am confident that Williams would be a completely different player in the Dallas offense. No other team could make Roy Williams his potential like the Cowboys.

He also had Jon Kitna, Joey Harrington, and all those other louse Lions QBs throwing him the ball all these years there.

Romo throwing him the ball would be a HUGE upgrade. And less not forget too TO will be seeing far less double teams as well.

Alexander

Reaction score
Boysboy;2307228 said:
He also had Jon Kitna, Joey Harrington, and all those other louse Lions QBs throwing him the ball all these years there.

Romo throwing him the ball would be a HUGE upgrade. And less not forget too TO will be seeing far less double teams as well.

So explain why he is not going crazy playing with Calvin Johnson? That was the meme out of Detroit, yet he is not getting it done.

Blast the QB play in Detroit all you like, it is not the worst. If he is indeed as good as some of you believe he is, he should be just fine, if not better now than he was two years ago. He is not.

Sometimes saturation is not the best strategy. You have heard the old saying, too many chiefs, not enough indians.

I don't care if we add him. I just would not sacrifice other plans just to try the overkill method. We have other serious issues on this team to focus our top draft choices on.

And definitely no to shipping them a first round choice for him. Get it done for a second, I would start listening.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Hostile;2307043 said:
And if the deadline passes and we do lose Owens to another injury it will be to late to address a critical need.

you can same the same thing about alot of teams Hos.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
dbair1967;2307639 said:
you can same the same thing about alot of teams Hos.
Yeah, but I don't care about those teams. I care very deeply about this one.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Hostile;2307683 said:
Yeah, but I don't care about those teams. I care very deeply about this one.

I wont be unhappy if we get him, dont get me wrong.

But with the way this team SHOULD be able to run the ball and play defense, even if we lost Owens it shouldnt ruin the season. If we didnt have Witten it'd be more critical IMO, but we do so it isnt.

djtavo

Jesus is Lord
Reaction score
This is the perfect example on why Detroit sucks.

You make a trade right now and start re-building...

Lets say 1st qrt of the Chicago game Roy gets injured and its out for the season.... Now you are not only 0-5 but you will be 0-5 the following season.

They should all just fired each other.