Will Leveon Bell deal hurt Cowboys?

Jkyle

Reaction score
There are all reports that Bell may sign a $17 million deal average with the Jets. If so he will set the market for top-tier running back’s and that means instead of working off the Gurley deal which is about $14 million a year Zeke will be working off of the Bell deal for his contract.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Pretty much. He’s going to be asking for $20M if we wait until next season.

That’s the risk you take with waiting with the opposite risk being if they get injured or stink it up and you’ve overpaid.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
We also have to remember the Cowboys are going to be rolling in cap space soon. Before any new Dak or Amari; etc.deals they will have $124 million of space in 2020. And this doesn't factor in how much the cap will increase next year.

So while the cost to keep Zeke increases, so does the cap. It's all relative. As others have said he will be tagged his first year on the market and the Cowboys should just take it from there.

J817

Reaction score
We also have to remember the Cowboys are going to be rolling in cap space soon. Before any new Dak or Amari; etc.deals they will have $124 million of space in 2020. And this doesn't factor in how much the cap will increase next year.

So while the cost to keep Zeke increases, so does the cap. It's all relative. As others have said he will be tagged his first year on the market and the Cowboys should just take it from there.

Plus they aren’t spending big on any external FAs. No matter how you look at that fact it will help.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I have been saying for a while, the money that Dak, Zeke, and Cooper get combined is going to be a lot more than what people are expecting. Zeke will be the highest paid RB in the league, you can 100% bet on this. If it's true that Dak is getting 30+, we're talking about a QB and RB at some point in their contracts combining for far too much money.

And no, I don't care that we have $120 mil in cap next season, Dak and Zeke together are far too expensive and will eventually hurt us down the road. We need to get ready and seriously start thinking about dangling Zeke out there for teams because he'll hold out otherwise.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
There are all reports that Bell may sign a $17 million deal average with the Jets. If so he will set the market for top-tier running back’s and that means instead of working off the Gurley deal which is about $14 million a year Zeke will be working off of the Bell deal for his contract.

No.

If we know how to use it it will even support us.

mattjames2010

Reaction score

This will still be expensive for both Dak and Zeke, and who the heck knows what we'll give Cooper. Somewhere else on our team is going to take a hit - there is no getting around this.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Very likely.

We'll end up 'taking comfort' in the fact that we'll be paying a top 15 quarterback top 5 money...

:rolleyes:

J817

Reaction score
This will still be expensive for both Dak and Zeke, and who the heck knows what we'll give Cooper. Somewhere else on our team is going to take a hit - there is no getting around this.

Maybe it is taking a hit. Safety?

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
Lol please explain. The man has led the league in rushing two of the three years he has been in the league.
It's not a popular opinion, but I just don't think it's a smart investment.

Is Zeke a baller who's been extremely durable and dependable so far? Hell yeah. But the mileage will add up and the armor will start to wear off. You don't need to pay 17+ mil a year to have a running game.

From Stephen's comments earlier this off-season, they're looking to re-sign him though.

SSoup

Reaction score
The Rams thrived largely with a journeyman RB off the streets during their big run this past season.

If the Jets do anything other than ride Bell to massive team successes to justify the contract, I think those precedent contracts become the canary in the coal mine that gives the smarter people in the room the ammo they need to talk Jerry out of an easily avoidable mistake.

Same mistake he made in 1996 and 2008, over-committing to a RB for the 2nd half of his career.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Maybe it is taking a hit. Safety?

Yes, I expect it to be on the defensive side of the ball since we have our offensive line together for a while.

Safety and defensive tackle won't be fixed for quite some time. Probably lose Jones too.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We're gonna take a DeMarco Murray path with Zeke. Possibly tag him for an additional year, but I'm not sure we'll give him the $20mill/year he'll be looking for

J817

Reaction score
We're gonna take a DeMarco Murray path with Zeke. Possibly tag him for an additional year, but I'm not sure we'll give him the $20mill/year he'll be looking for

DeMarco didn’t have the star power Zeke has imo. Yea he was a Dallas Cowboy RB, but Zeke has a kinda flash I think Jerry likes. I don’t think Zeke gets 20 mill/year as you said, but he will be the highest paid RB in the league.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I have been saying for a while, the money that Dak, Zeke, and Cooper get combined is going to be a lot more than what people are expecting. Zeke will be the highest paid RB in the league, you can 100% bet on this. If it's true that Dak is getting 30+, we're talking about a QB and RB at some point in their contracts combining for far too much money.

And no, I don't care that we have $120 mil in cap next season, Dak and Zeke together are far too expensive and will eventually hurt us down the road. We need to get ready and seriously start thinking about dangling Zeke out there for teams because he'll hold out otherwise.

I agree. I like Zeke, but, unfortunately, the NFL is a tough business, and you're forced to do things you don't always want to do. Trading Zeke might well be one of those.