Will Leveon Bell deal hurt Cowboys?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Every deal hurts us, it is like personal or something.

I mean look at that Mosley deal. That was threatening to us!

Good lord, I know our front office has real problems struggling with how talent flows in free agency, but the hand wringing shouldn't be about what other teams do.

It should be about how our idiotic front office responds to changes in the league.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Where OP get news of Bell getting $17M? I'm guessing if he had a $17M offer, he would be signed. Last I heard, he was looking to be the highest paid RB. So I'm guessing his best offer is in the range of $14-15M.

As for Zeke, serious question......with the exception of Murray, when the last time Stephen and Jerry refused to give one of their originally drafted Pro Bowl players the 2nd contract. As long as he stays healthy Zeke will get his contract from the Cowboys IMO. Hell Stephen's already on record saying Zeke will get paid. Not sure why our fans wanna run damn near every player up second contracts out of town. Never mind these are homegrown originally draft players who have made themselves among the league best at their position. Yet we've seen debates why DLaw, Dak, Zeke and Byron Jones SHOULD NOT be paid UNLESS the so-called hometown discount is in effect. Good lord, how can you expect to have a championship caliber team if you don't keep your star players or playmakers?

conner01

Reaction score
It's not a popular opinion, but I just don't think it's a smart investment.

Is Zeke a baller who's been extremely durable and dependable so far? Hell yeah. But the mileage will add up and the armor will start to wear off. You don't need to pay 17+ mil a year to have a running game.

From Stephen's comments earlier this off-season, they're looking to re-sign him though.
RB is not the position to owe money too late in their careers
If they are determined to extend Zeke, do it now do you can get out sooner
By 28 I wouldn’t want to have any years left owing him
He’s been healthy but he’s getting up there in miles already

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
Zeke isn't worth what Le'Veon is asking for.

Franchise him for a year or two, then let him walk. We should actively be looking for his replacement.

Leveon was worse vs stacked boxes and benefitted from a super bowl caliber QB and the best wR drawing attention.

He didn’t score as often as you’d like, with something like 40 total touches for every Td

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
There are all reports that Bell may sign a $17 million deal average with the Jets. If so he will set the market for top-tier running back’s and that means instead of working off the Gurley deal which is about $14 million a year Zeke will be working off of the Bell deal for his contract.
no.

salaries keep going up, people keep paying it. a record breaking deal only lasts a year or so anymore.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
We also have to remember the Cowboys are going to be rolling in cap space soon. Before any new Dak or Amari; etc.deals they will have $124 million of space in 2020. And this doesn't factor in how much the cap will increase next year.

So while the cost to keep Zeke increases, so does the cap. It's all relative. As others have said he will be tagged his first year on the market and the Cowboys should just take it from there.
Do you see how every poster ignored your post and kept on in the panic frame of mind? They arent all there in the head.

HappyOnions

Datwin
Reaction score
I love Zeke but he isn't worth $20 million per season... If they were willing to part with Murray... I can't imagine that they'll sign Zeke for top dollar...

NotForLong

Reaction score
It will hurt the Cowboys, Giants, Saints maybe the Jaguars. Yeah, this DeMarcus Lawrence stuff is nothing compared to the drama we will see when Zeke is up to bat.
No Worries we got Dak

Hadenough

Reaction score
There are all reports that Bell may sign a $17 million deal average with the Jets. If so he will set the market for top-tier running back’s and that means instead of working off the Gurley deal which is about $14 million a year Zeke will be working off of the Bell deal for his contract.
In a couple years Zeke is going to be worn out and Dallas is crazy to sign him to that kind of money and he will want a long term deal.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Zeke isn't worth what Le'Veon is asking for.

Franchise him for a year or two, then let him walk. We should actively be looking for his replacement.

Really?!?!?

I think he stays. And they pay him.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
In a couple years Zeke is going to be worn out and Dallas is crazy to sign him to that kind of money and he will want a long term deal.

In a couple of years we will all wear out.

You pay for talent.

Little Jr

Reaction score
Bell got less then Gurley on avg annual and unless his whole 52m is guaranteed he's not getting much more than Gurley 45m guaranteed.

I was hoping the the 17-20m reported wasn't true because that would've jacked up the whole RB market. To answer the OP question, yes, if he would've got 17-20m it would've affected Zeke and all the rbs in the NFL.

Bell was dumb for sitting out and leaving the 14m in the table. He thought he could make it up and he didn't even come close.

People have worried about Dlaw pulling the same thing and I never thought he would and still don't. The bell situation just secured that.