Will McCarthy be this seasons first coach to get canned?

jgboys1

Reaction score
I was hoping that him, Dak, CeeDee and company were gone after this season but now I could defiantly see Jerry moving on from McCarthy after this season.

Talk about a HC walking into a S$!t show next season!
You thought this season is going to be a disaster, wait until next season. :thumbdown:

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I say you’re wrong. If he gets canned during the season it won’t be until later when our season is pretty much over. Way too early for him to get the hook.
If Jerry sees what in his addled brain is a contending roster, then that will spell doom for MM early if they are not vastly improved over the next couple of weeks. If we drop these next 2 or 3 games, he's out.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
Zimmer will be 1st to be let go if the D continues to be this bad. I don't think his personality is a hit with the players.

Bing

Reaction score
No MM is not going anywhere if they lose to the Giants which I dont expect them to do. Jerry will save that move for later in the season if this team does a total collapse.

I'm begining to wonder where many of the members on this forum have been the last 9 months. Most of us have known all off season this team was not going to be as good as last year with the change in player personal and coaching staff that were made. This team had glaring holes to fill that never were. Then JJ gave out two of the largest contracts in NFL history so that took any chance of a rebuild out of the equation. So here we are...I think many fans looked at this team at the start of the season and seen a team that was somewhere a game above or a game below 500. I think we are still somewhere around that number. I think the final number will greatly depend on how much the other teams in our division have improved and if we can at least split our games with them.

Last edited:

Blackspider214

Reaction score
MM should have been gone after the Green Bay loss. Jerry retained JG for several mediocre years prior to cutting him loose, and MM has a better overall record; so I think MM stays. Moreover, who would fill the vacancy should MM be let go? What is there to gain cutting MM in the middle of the season? Ever since Chan Gailey, Jerry has been slow to pull the trigger on firing head coaches.
Jason was Jerry's pet project. Was a player in Jerry's glory days plus an assistant before becoming head coach. He is the outlier. Jerry has no issue firing other coaches quicker. Bill was gone after 4 years. Wade before his 4th complete season.

Mike is already a lame duck and can't see any scenario outside of a huge playoff run that he comes back. If this season goes off the rails like 2010 did, I can see him getting fired mid-season like Wade did in 2010. Losing to the Giants with a gauntlet of quality teams coming right after, would be a disaster.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Nope, just like Jason Garrett, Jerry doesn't like to pay coaches who aren't coaching, so he'll be the coach until the end of the season when his contract runs out....
Wade was fired mid-year in 2010 when that season was a total disaster and they quit on him.

Mike will stay here as long as our record is respectable but if we lost tomorrow to the lowly Giants, all bets are off. I don't think it would be after that game but maybe in the next month of games.

Mike should have been fired after the GB playoff loss. Zero progress was being made in his tenure. Keeping him as a lame duck was never a good choice.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Wade was fired mid-year in 2010 when that season was a total disaster and they quit on him.

Mike will stay here as long as our record is respectable but if we lost tomorrow to the lowly Giants, all bets are off. I don't think it would be after that game but maybe in the next month of games.

Mike should have been fired after the GB playoff loss. Zero progress was being made in his tenure. Keeping him as a lame duck was never a good choice.
Wade was fired only after the Greenbay primetime loss because that game was such an embarrassing loss(45-7) and the Cowboys record was 1-7 at the time...

DUO_CORE

Reaction score
GEROHRdjwpSIcQYGmU.webp

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Knowing Jerry, The Boys will blow out the Giants and Jerry will declare that all is fixed and give MM a life time contract.. then watch us get blown out the next 3 ball games.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know , Jerry Jones can be very impulsive.
Impulsive? Certainly. Jerry Jones would pink slip Mike McCarthy in a heartbeat if McCarthy told Jones to stay in his lane. Jones has done that before.

On the other hand, McCarthy could keep doing what he always has. Doing so, he will likely keep his job all season long just as surely as Dave Campo did for three years.

However, McCarthy's roster may completely bail on him during a particular game like their predecessors did on Wade Phillips. That may be an eventual possibility. Jones' possible reaction would have precedent.

Up to this point, the roster's (except essentially Brandon Aubrey) performance has been average-to-fair but the players have not mutinied. It is a distinction observers should note while considering what Jones might do with his head coach in-season.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Unfortunately, we are stuck with MM for the season. Jerry is too lazy to look for an OC, He could get an interim HC in Zimm due to prior experience. Zimm is also on thin ice. I can see most all the coaches canned, but until after the season. I would fire the FO too but we all know that ain’t happening.

Dallas’ pitiful performances so far have started with the coaching staff. Team being outplayed is a byproduct of being out coached.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
I don't believe he will be released during the season. But I doubt that he will be back next season.
I don't trust Jerry at all, but I would have his staff identifying potential head Coaches right now. So they will be ready this off-season.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
What’s hurt us the most is going from Quinn to Zimmer. Quinn improved the defense immediately when he took over. The Joneses are saying the players are adjusting to Zimmer. :rolleyes: I was never on board with bringing back Zimmer. He and McCarthy will be looking for work after this season.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
I think he lasts the season no matter what. What would Jerry gain by firing him? This roster is not competing for a SB no matter who is coaching. The only reason I can see to fire him is if Jerry already has Zimmer penciled in for next season, so why not speed that up. If Jerry has already decided to go a different direction next season, and it's not Zimmer, there is nothing to be gained by changing things up mid-season.

The other thing is, if' we're going to give Dak credit for 12-5 x 3 then we must do the same for McCarthy.