FEATURED Will McClay breaks down the draft class

Kwyn

Reaction score
"That can play on special teams"
This is the second time I've heard this said from thr front office. We really reached for a LB and this is the plan? For real?
So, the third thing that is mentioned in his skill set is special teams. I fail to see that as a problem. It’s the opposite.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Will McClay is just another example of a horribly ran organization.

He’s paid to reinforce Jerry’s decisions. It’s a good gig if you can get it, but as a fan he’s a horrible guy to have around.
This makes no sense. It’s pure speculation based on your presumed psychological evaluation and then followed by a judgement with no basis in fact.

MojaveJT

Reaction score
McClay articulates how a true GM should to the media. This franchise would gain a lot more respect from opposing FO’s if Will was at the forefront. Not some drunk old fool and his wannabe son.

MikeT22

Reaction score
Will McClay is the GM, just doesn't have that exact title. People are way too hung up on the title.
Wrong. McClay isnt making the decisions on FAs, who to sign or let walk, coaching hires or making the final say on draft picks. He’s not the de facto GM

visionary

Reaction score

Cowboys VP of player personnel Will McClay on each of Dallas’ draft picks:

Round 1, OT Tyler Guyton: “When you build an offensive lineman, you look for athleticism, the feet. We have a history of having guys who do things at a high level at that position. There were some traits that definitely showed us that that was there. You talk about the athletic ability and left tackles are usually more athletic, and this guy is an athletic guy. Basketball background, he has some defense in his nature. … (We) feel good about him moving to the left side. The way he plays the game, there’s a little nasty to him.”

Round 2, DE Marshawn Kneeland: “The No. 1 thing about him is the high effort and motor that he plays with. Then to be physically talented enough to play at this level. … The more you watch him, the more you see NFL traits and then you see the traits that we are looking for on the defensive side, playing hard all the time and having the ability to rush the passer outside and inside. As hard as (DeMarcus Lawrence) played at Boise State, there are some similarities there.”

Round 3, G/C Cooper Beebe: “Cooper likes to dirt people, I read that (he said that after he was drafted Friday night), whatever that means. I’m glad he is doing it for us. With his ability and to play the guard position – he’s played all over there – and also snapped, so that ability and that demeanor, bringing that to the team was something we wanted to do.”

Round 3, LB Marist Liufau: “He’s a linebacker that can rush, that can play stacked, that can play on (special) teams. He has 34-inch arms. Adding that multiplicity into our defense and what (Mike Zimmer) wanted from that specific position. You see those things from the guy and he does it at Notre Dame. … He plays all over the field and can drop in coverage. The multiplicity and the number of things he can do at a high level was attractive.”

Round 5, CB Caelen Carson: “(He) has the ability to play inside and outside. Really raw in technique. A lot of the things he was doing (in college) was a lot on his natural ability. … You know that there is more upside there because of his answers (during pre-draft interviews) and the things he was looking at, plus his work ethic and how he competes. He will tackle as a corner, which is also a positive.”

Round 6, WR Ryan Flournoy: “He’s a big receiver that we really like. Big, fast, strong and physical. Really stood out and fit in at the Combine and at the Senior Bowl to show that he belonged with the NFL-type players. We think that there is a great upside there.”

Round 7, OL Nathan Thomas: “This is one of the stronger offensive linemen drafts that there’s been in a long time. A player of this caliber that moves people and does things at the NFL level with his size, his ability to bend and be able to play inside and outside makes him attractive and makes for a competitive room.”

Round 7, DT Justin Rogers: “We want to get big, we want to be physical. (He’s) a big, nasty from Auburn with some length that can play that big inside nose tackle position. So (he’s) fitting a need as well as being (among) the best players for us based on our board going down that way.”

You forgot to say “Cowboys”

Mcsports

Reaction score
Good thoughts and interesting read. Although, word of caution every team is saying the same thing for everyone they drafted. I am sure you could see similar thoughts from our draft last year. Soon it will be time to see if they were right on some of these picks.
Good point.
He addresses the strengths only. That's expected, but just half the story.

sacase

Reaction score
Wrong. McClay isnt making the decisions on FAs, who to sign or let walk, coaching hires or making the final say on draft picks. He’s not the de facto GM
You don't think he had the biggest voice in the room? Ok....lol

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
This makes no sense. It’s pure speculation based on your presumed psychological evaluation and then followed by a judgement with no basis in fact.
It's pure speculation that he refuses to interview for real GM jobs?

Why do you think McClay chooses to stay in Dallas instead of being an actual GM somewhere?

I believe it's because he is paid to be a Jerry behind kisser that doesn't have to make any decisions and that's a much easier job, with much better job security, than being an actual GM where if you fail you are fired.

As I said... It's a good job if you can get it and I don't blame him. He's just another guy that will have a job as long as Jerry is in charge.

RonWashington

Reaction score
So far Mazi & Schoon have to be considered unqualified no help KJ was a bust at corner Jabril Cox was hyped right out of town Ball Waletzco Ridgeway heck I’m waiting for Tolbert to at least equal Gallup . I won’t bow down at the alter of anyone responsible for these picks .

Praxit

Reaction score
..didnt McClay say same thing about Mazi last year?

"Dude, can wreck cars, but only Pintos" ..;)..

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
I'm OK with every position that the Cowboys picked, though maybe another LB or DL would have been "better" than a WR, but I'm OK with the one WR pick.

So, to the Cowboys Org, I applaud them for their discipline, and not veering towards the shiniest picks that they didn't need.

:starspin:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's pure speculation that he refuses to interview for real GM jobs?

Why do you think McClay chooses to stay in Dallas instead of being an actual GM somewhere?

I believe it's because he is paid to be a Jerry behind kisser that doesn't have to make any decisions and that's a much easier job, with much better job security, than being an actual GM where if you fail you are fired.

As I said... It's a good job if you can get it and I don't blame him. He's just another guy that will have a job as long as Jerry is in charge.
An argument can be made Dallas has multiple internal obstacles preventing the franchise from regaining its championship form of the early 1990's. Likewise, a supporting argument could be made Will McClay is a problem.

However, there is one common denominator that has existed for decades--stretching far longer than McClay's tenure with the team. The problem is Jerry Jones. That is a given.

Yet, you continually rail against other targets within the organization, like Dak Prescott and seemingly now McClay, but your near daily focus has been markedly less towards Jones. Certainly, you have previously labeled the entire franchise collectively as losers, for instance, but you have rarely shined your spotlight upon the nucleus of the dysfunction.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Carson raps, so I’m sure he’ll be hated soon once the yee haw crowd finds out.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Will McClay said about DT Justin Rogers: “We want to get big, we want to be physical. (He’s) a big, nasty from Auburn....."
I like the sound of that! That's exactly what this DL needs.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking. I don't know if his player personnel role has anything to do with free agent decisions, but it definitely doesn't have anything to do with coaching hires. That is part of the job if you are a GM.