Will McClay, Dakuracy among 5 winners from Cowboys exhibition opener

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Dak's accuracy is not average, its below average when it comes to deep throws.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2018/deep-ball-project

Coming in at No. 2 is Dak Prescott. Prescott's sophomore season has gotten a reputation as being a step down from his rookie campaign, but his downfield accuracy was actually terrific. He had zero inaccurate completions, and his accuracy was extremely successful against pressure and into tight windows. He took a massive step up on downfield passing in Year Número Dos.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
2. Dak Prescott
Efficiency Score: 1.76
screen-shot-2018-03-27-at-5-25-00-am1.png

What happened to Dak Prescott’s fan base? Everyone who praised him as an MVP candidate in his rookie season haven’t thought as highly of him in his sophomore season.

Prescott was good, not great in 2016. His downfield accuracy was solid, but not up to the task of the veteran quarterbacks, and his ability to throw into tight windows had ways to go.

So be surprised when I say Prescott was outstanding on deep passing in 2017.

dak-deep-more-pressure.gif

dak-deep-pressure.gif

What really stood out with Prescott is he was much more aggressive and in control of his offense. He was the most accurate quarterback on play action, 4th most under pressure, 2nd most on throws of 16-19 yards, and first on throws of 40+ yards. This was not the rookie season Dak Prescott.

Dak’s accuracy was phenomenal in spite of worse pass protection, more tight windows, and unreliable receivers. I can’t speak enough about how good he is under pressure–it reminds me of Tony Romo.

So don’t believe what you hear. Prescott did a great job managing a worse supporting cast, and was only behind one guy as the most efficient deep passer of 2017.

Best Downfield Throw
dak-best-deep-throw.gif

Prescott’s feet aren’t even balanced as he’s releasing this ball. Phenomenal, phenomenal quarterback under pressure.

erod

Reaction score
Please post stats showing that most QBs are 4 for 5 between the numbers. That sounds absurdly high o_O

In regards to your Sherman comment, you're probably right. If Sherman was covering Gallup, Dak would not have made that throw. However, as you know, football is a game of strategy, and we exploit matchups to give ourselves the best chance to win, hence why we motion receivers/TEs to isolate them with LBs. For reference, see what teams did to Jaylon Smith last year.
I mean on target with the ball. Not necessarily completed.

erod

Reaction score
Didn’t you say over and over that Dak couldn’t throw the deep ball? There were no exceptions.
I've always said he could throw sideline go routes. (Almost all quarterbacks can.) And occasionally he gets one downfield over the middle with relative accuracy.

But he's wildly inconsistent on out routes and deep crossing routes, which isn't good. Lots of wounded ducks.

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
2. Dak Prescott
Efficiency Score: 1.76
screen-shot-2018-03-27-at-5-25-00-am1.png

What happened to Dak Prescott’s fan base? Everyone who praised him as an MVP candidate in his rookie season haven’t thought as highly of him in his sophomore season.

Prescott was good, not great in 2016. His downfield accuracy was solid, but not up to the task of the veteran quarterbacks, and his ability to throw into tight windows had ways to go.

So be surprised when I say Prescott was outstanding on deep passing in 2017.

dak-deep-more-pressure.gif

dak-deep-pressure.gif

What really stood out with Prescott is he was much more aggressive and in control of his offense. He was the most accurate quarterback on play action, 4th most under pressure, 2nd most on throws of 16-19 yards, and first on throws of 40+ yards. This was not the rookie season Dak Prescott.

Dak’s accuracy was phenomenal in spite of worse pass protection, more tight windows, and unreliable receivers. I can’t speak enough about how good he is under pressure–it reminds me of Tony Romo.

So don’t believe what you hear. Prescott did a great job managing a worse supporting cast, and was only behind one guy as the most efficient deep passer of 2017.

Best Downfield Throw
dak-best-deep-throw.gif

Prescott’s feet aren’t even balanced as he’s releasing this ball. Phenomenal, phenomenal quarterback under pressure.
Who the heck is this LT in your best downfield throw video? Looks like #76 which I couldn't find. Is this from last year? Anyway, that dude is a turnstile. Look at how fast he is beat and then just jogs as he watches Dak run for his life. Man if I were a coach and I saw that on film, I would rip some major butt and that guy might be fired because of it. Depends on how bad off I would be at LT.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I've always said he could throw sideline go routes. (Almost all quarterbacks can.) And occasionally he gets one downfield over the middle with relative accuracy.

But he's wildly inconsistent on out routes and deep crossing routes, which isn't good. Lots of wounded ducks.
You are watching the wrong QB

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Who the heck is this LT in your best downfield throw video? Looks like #76 which I couldn't find. Is this from last year? Anyway, that dude is a turnstile. Look at how fast he is beat and then just jogs as he watches Dak run for his life. Man if I were a coach and I saw that on film, I would rip some major butt and that guy might be fired because of it. Depends on how bad off I would be at LT.

That's Byron Bell #75

khiladi

Reaction score
You're generalizing Dak's play in the face of overwhelming statistical evidence that refutes your criticisms. Oh...this is rich.

No, your interpretation of the statistical data is simply wrong. Stats also show he threw 6 pick 6s for TDS and set other franchise records in futility, including multiple quarters of not scoring. Then there are other stats that aren’t collected, which include passes that should have been intercepted, but were broken up by WRs becoming defensive backs.

Last edited:

Them

Reaction score
..Typical time to bash our starting QB Dak...the same QB who came in and with help saved our 2016 season...Struggled mostly in the 2 part of the 2017 season;of course there were many reasons besides his particular play at the time....Let me count the ways!...Ok. maybe not...just to many.
Now it's his 3rd season...IMMHO...He will do well!. If he fails , as many seem to believe,:thumbdown:,then they just get another QB and try again...problem solved.:D