Video: Will McClay Interviews

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m not sure what it says beyond the fact he’s very well paid and doesn’t take the heat directly as a GM.

Will is basically doing what he loves without being held directly accountable as a GM. And probably why he’s content to remain here.

He scouts out the talent watching all the film and let’s our dysfunctional ownership make final decision. Easy peasy.

And Cheapskate Son deals with the contracts . Sign me up . Will has a cake walk.
And apparently, not a big ego. May be a good thing.

Proof

Reaction score
It's not been very good with him.

Maybe it would be worse, but zero deep playoff runs is still zero deep playoff runs.

I'm in the camp of, if he's so great, then why can't we win back to back divisional titles? Why do we take turns with Philly, Washington, and NY? Why can't we build on successful seasons? We went 12-5 last year. Does anyone think we go 12-5 or better this year? If we draft great then they must draft great also since we're in a constant rotation with them.

they utilize free agency and/or draft top 5 - 10

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Great insight. I feel like there are too many fans that get too concerned about what these moves are going to do for the Cowboys THIS year or immediate return. This FO built a flawed roster, one sided and top heavy. And they had bad contracts on the books. In the last year in a half I feel like they have been able to maintain being competitive and have succeeded in restructuring the roster in a better way. Not only that, but getting rid of most of these bad contracts with veterans.

If they Cowboys can go 11-6 or 12-5 again and do it with younger talent then thats a win for me. This roster had lots of work to do. The defense is now legitimate and young and talented. This Oline isnt going to be rebuilt overnight. Fohenko, Ball, Steele, we just need one of these guys to hit. If two hit, great. Tyler Smith we now have another tough guard. Can Biadasz develop. The Cowboys have to hit on some of these guys. Mcgovern and Williams didnt work out.

WR room has basically been revamped. RB is next. To me I am looking at 2023 if things go well as being the beginning of having a window to be a true contender.
This is the kind of thinking I want to challenge. Did the Bengals just go to the Super Bowl with a 2nd year coach and 2nd year QB?

Did the Rams go to the Super Bowl with Goff and Gurley...pay them big money...lose in the Super Bowl....move on from both of them....then go back to the Super Bowl with a different QB...add a different core of big money players (Ramsey, OBJ, Von Miller)...win the Super Bowl....move on from OBJ, Von Miller....add Bobby Wagner, pay Matt Stafford...and are loaded for another run?

I simply do not want to hear about another "process"!!

Here is what I can promise you....if Jerry had a mandate that he has to go a step further next year...than he did the year before...he would have made different decisions this offseason. Nothing was done to win NEXT year!!!!

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
It's not been very good with him.

Maybe it would be worse, but zero deep playoff runs is still zero deep playoff runs.

I'm in the camp of, if he's so great, then why can't we win back to back divisional titles? Why do we take turns with Philly, Washington, and NY? Why can't we build on successful seasons? We went 12-5 last year. Does anyone think we go 12-5 or better this year? If we draft great then they must draft great also since we're in a constant rotation with them.

With guys like Jerry and son in the FO, it'd be difficult at best for anyone to go deep into the playoffs, much less win it all. Stephen needs to get real and do more in veteran FA if this team is ever fortunate enough to contend seriously. Our FO rid the team of lots of experienced veterans in 2022. Making up for that loss by replacing them with rookies and otherwise inexperienced players isn't likely to equal a 12-5 season. Will McClay can only do so much to counteract the questionable decisions that our FO makes. I also seriously doubt the FO allows him total freedom to run the draft without meddling.

Last edited:

rambo2

Reaction score
This is the kind of thinking I want to challenge. Did the Bengals just go to the Super Bowl with a 2nd year coach and 2nd year QB?

Did the Rams go to the Super Bowl with Goff and Gurley...pay them big money...lose in the Super Bowl....move on from both of them....then go back to the Super Bowl with a different QB...add a different core of big money players (Ramsey, OBJ, Von Miller)...win the Super Bowl....move on from OBJ, Von Miller....add Bobby Wagner, pay Matt Stafford...and are loaded for another run?

Here is what I can promise you....if Jerry had a mandate that he has to go a step further next year...than he did the year before...he would have made different decisions this offseason. Nothing was done to win NEXT year!!!!
They are in pretty good position to win in 2022 and if what they have done works, they will be even better in 2023. You say they did nothing. That thinking is flawed. They have done something. It looks like they are adding young players with a good work ethic and attitude. They should have at least 20 players on the roster in their 1st or 2nd year. Will this work and make the team better? If they hit on this draft, it very well could. Time will tell and we will see.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
They are in pretty good position to win in 2022 and if what they have done works, they will be even better in 2023. You say they did nothing. That thinking is flawed. They have done something. It looks like they are adding young players with a good work ethic and attitude. They should have at least 20 players on the roster in their 1st or 2nd year. Will this work and make the team better? If they hit on this draft, it very well could. Time will tell and we will see.
So they are better at WR with CeeDee, injured Gallup and a 3rd rookie from South Alabama?
So the Cowboys lost 2 starting OL from last year...and you are better with a 21 year old rookie from Tulsa?
I think the DL is the same as last year
I think the DB will be the same as last year (depending on what happens with Boss Man Fat)
I think the RB position got older...which is not better when both are injury prone

I am hopeful these rookie help us one day....but I cannot see how are better NEXT year.

rambo2

Reaction score
So they are better at WR with CeeDee, injured Gallup and a 3rd rookie from South Alabama?
So the Cowboys lost 2 starting OL from last year...and you are better with a 21 year old rookie from Tulsa?
I think the DL is the same as last year
I think the DB will be the same as last year (depending on what happens with Boss Man Fat)
I think the RB position got older...which is not better when both are injury prone

I am hopeful these rookie help us one day....but I cannot see how are better NEXT year.
They are fine at wr with Lamb, Gallup, Tolbert, Washington, and Brown.
I think that Smith will be an upgrade over Williams at left guard.
I think that the dline is improved with Fowler, Williams, and Ridgeway,
The secondary is good.
Running back is fine.
Having Quinn in his 2nd year is awesome.
The Cowboys should be the favorite to win the division and can compete against any NFC team.

DonaldM

Reaction score
We have a solid team we just need to figure out how to cheat better like the Astros and Patriots.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
They are fine at wr with Lamb, Gallup, Tolbert, Washington, and Brown.
I think that Smith will be an upgrade over Williams at left guard.
I think that the dline is improved with Fowler, Williams, and Ridgeway,
The secondary is good.
Running back is fine.
Having Quinn in his 2nd year is awesome.
The Cowboys should be the favorite to win the division and can compete against any NFC team.
I hope you are right...but they were easily handled by the 49ers in their own building and the 49ers were not even the best team in the NFC West

rambo2

Reaction score
I hope you are right...but they were easily handled by the 49ers in their own building and the 49ers were not even the best team in the NFC West
They lost to the 49ers by 6 points. The 49ers beat the Rams twice. Once by 21 points.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Looks like you didnt understand anything I said. And you appear to be the exact type of fan I was talking about.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
They lost to the 49ers by 6 points. The 49ers beat the Rams twice. Once by 21 points.
It's fan like you that make the Jones richer and richer every year....the 49ers....came into Dallas...and socked us in the mouth. If we played them 10 times on a neutral field...they would beat us 7 times.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Looks like you didnt understand anything I said. And you appear to be the exact type of fan I was talking about.
Any fan that spins last year as the arrow pointing up....needs to get their vision checked.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Any fan that spins last year as the arrow pointing up....needs to get their vision checked.

like I said you clearly didn’t get what I said. Reading comprehension must be a problem.

but let’s address your words. So 7-9 to 12-5 is pointing down?

Some fans just need to cry I guess.

Last edited:

rambo2

Reaction score
It's fan like you that make the Jones richer and richer every year....the 49ers....came into Dallas...and socked us in the mouth. If we played them 10 times on a neutral field...they would beat us 7 times.
Lol, the Cowboys could easily beat them. The Cowboys were favored and were 1 play away from winning even when they played badly. Wilson was inches from catching that ball on the 11 yardline. If he pulls that in it looked like they would have scored and won the game.