Will McClay quote on Byron Jones

Rayman70

Reaction score
IF WE CAN MAKE BETTER use of Pollard on offense and special teams, that solves any issues we had.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
We can get zero picks a year for a lot less money

It’s not just about picks.....

Do you think this is all a DB does? For a lot less money, that DB can give up yards and TDs.

Most DBs in this league, even the top tier, get MAYBE 2-3 INTs. That’s at the high end. DBs get their money if they shut down the receiver they go against.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Some other team is going to be willing to pay Byron more than the Cowboys. Say goodbye to Byron. We can resign Brown with the chip on his shoulder much cheaper.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score

Do you think this is all a DB does? For a lot less money, that DB can give up yards and TDs.

Most DBs in this league, even the top tier, get MAYBE 2-3 INTs. That’s at the high end. DBs get their money if they shut down the receiver they go against.
Here's the fly in the ointment for me - Jones only plays one side of the field - he does not shadow/travel with the #1 WR.

If he followed the WR1 all over the field and generally speaking shut them down, then even without the INTs you can make an argument that he should be paid, but he doesn't.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Here's the fly in the ointment for me - Jones only plays one side of the field - he does not shadow/travel with the #1 WR.

If he followed the WR1 all over the field and generally speaking shut them down, then even without the INTs you can make an argument that he should be paid, but he doesn't.

So what? The WRs he goes against, he locks down the majority of the time. Last year he was ranked in the top 10, he's ranked in the top 20 this season. And Jones will be affordable. Brown is a DB you let walk, Awuzie is a DB you demand better play from.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
So what? The WRs he goes against, he locks down the majority of the time. Last year he was ranked in the top 10, he's ranked in the top 20 this season. And Jones will be affordable. Brown is a DB you let walk, Awuzie is a DB you demand better play from.
So what? huh - if he wants to be paid elite money (14-15 million a year) he better travel.

Now what's affordable?

mattjames2010

Reaction score
So what? huh - if he wants to be paid elite money (14-15 million a year) he better travel.

Now what's affordable?

That wouldn't be "elite money" - an elite DB would be getting MORE than that if their contracts were up right now. But either way, players like Malcolm Butler Jenoris Jenkins, and AJ Bouye are getting similar contracts while they are not "elite".

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
That wouldn't be "elite money" - an elite DB would be getting MORE than that if their contracts were up right now. But either way, players like Malcolm Butler Jenoris Jenkins, and AJ Bouye are getting similar contracts while they are not "elite".
So what do you want to pay the guy.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
So what do you want to pay the guy.

He will get between 12-15 million and anyone suggesting he's not worth that with the current market are delusional. With the way rules are for defenses in the modern NFL, finding a great man-to-man cover corner is extremely difficult, they have everything working against them. You don't just replace that. You are creating an unnecessary hole for a player that will be affordable. You can replace Amari Cooper a lot easier than you can replace Byron Jones.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Some other team is going to be willing to pay Byron more than the Cowboys. Say goodbye to Byron. We can resign Brown with the chip on his shoulder much cheaper.

LOL Brown sucks and isn't even in the same stratosphere to Jones when it comes to coverage.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
He will get between 12-15 million and anyone suggesting he's not worth that with the current market are delusional. With the way rules are for defenses in the modern NFL, finding a great man-to-man cover corner is extremely difficult, they have everything working against them. You don't just replace that. You are creating an unnecessary hole for a player that will be affordable. You can replace Amari Cooper a lot easier than you can replace Byron Jones.
I'd pass for that money, rather put that money in the trenches.

cowboyec

Reaction score
personally,I hope we can keep him...let anthony brown walk...and further develop Awuzie and Lewis.
Im not ready to give up on either.
they didnt play-up to expectations but they are worth working on.
I like Byron...solid player...better person.
there's only so much you can do and only so many you can afford to keep...I hope he stays tho.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I'd pass for that money, rather put that money in the trenches.

You could sign Jones and still put money towards the trenches. You could sign both Jones and Quinn....and still be fine. You could sign Jones, Quinn, and sign a quality DT and still be fine lol

Signing Jones to market value will not kill the cap. Putting most of your big money on offense will though. So why do I see this forum supporting signing cooper for similar money?

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

He was targeted 53 times and gave up 30 receptions. I’m positive he gave up a couple of TDs.

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/byron-jones/9460

*EDIT

According to Pro Football Reference he gave up 53.1% of passes targeted to him; QBs had a 87.7 QB rating against him; he gave up 3 TDs on the season.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JoneBy00.htm

That’s good....but that ain’t shutdown.

Last edited:

mattjames2010

Reaction score
He was targeted 53 times and gave up 30 receptions. I’m positive he gave up a couple of TDs.

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/byron-jones/9460

And he's still ranked within the top 20...by PFF

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-pff-rankings-top-25-cornerbacks-through-week-17

So, he's right there with players like Adoree Jackson. He's worth the money and isn't easily replaceable. If you're worried about $15 million cap hit, you let Cooper walk.

And to give a comparison: Casey Heyward is ranked top 5, targeted 47 times and gave up 26 receptions. The numbers you're providing aren't as bad as you think.

Tussinman

Reaction score
He was targeted 53 times and gave up 30 receptions
Damn that's actually really freaking good. It's no shocker that your source (PFF) also states "Jones will undoubtedly be a coveted unrestricted free agent this offseason."