Will McClay quote on Byron Jones

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
And he's still ranked within the top 20...by PFF

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-pff-rankings-top-25-cornerbacks-through-week-17

So, he's right there with players like Adoree Jackson. He's worth the money and isn't easily replaceable. If you're worried about $15 million cap hit, you let Cooper walk.

And to give a comparison: Casey Heyward is ranked top 5, targeted 47 times and gave up 26 receptions. The numbers you're providing aren't as bad as you think.

Check the updated link and stats I provided. It gives more information than PFF.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
LOL Brown sucks and isn't even in the same stratosphere to Jones when it comes to coverage.
I agree with every word you just said. I'm just saying what the more likely scenario is. Byron will get better offers from other teams, so the FO will let him go and be left with the potato chip tattoo guy. It sucks and isn't remotely funny so I don't get what you find humorous.

JBond

Reaction score
Byron Jones is a very good player, but with that being said, Jalen Ramsey will set the market, do you pay Jones that kind of money, my answer is no, so what market do you pay him is the question.
Lol.. Ramsey money? No thanks
Good luck at your next stop.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Check the updated link and stats I provided. It gives more information than PFF.

I already provided you a comparison. Their top 5 DB had similar numbers.

The gap between Hayward and Jones isn't as wide as you think. Either way, Jones is not doing enough negative for you or anyone to be campaigning for him to walk or to think $12 to 15 million is unreasonable. He's worth that money because getting a corner than locks down his man as much as Jones does is not easy to come by.

Again, if you're worried about that cap hit, you look to WR which is far easier to replace. We have enough money already on the offensive side of the ball. This is why crying about Lawrence and Jones contracts is silly.

BigTimeBlues

Reaction score
Didn't he only give up 2 TDs last year? So, what, 5 TDs over 2 years?

Didn't he essentially shut out Mike Thomas too?

Yeah. Let him walk. Dude's garbage.

JBond

Reaction score
I agree with every word you just said. I'm just saying what the more likely scenario is. Byron will get better offers from other teams, so the FO will let him go and be left with the potato chip tattoo guy. It sucks and isn't remotely funny so I don't get what you find humorous.
Tag him? Sign the other guys. Maybe? Get a pick for him. We seem to suck at that.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Didn't he only give up 2 TDs last year? So, what, 5 TDs over 2 years?

Didn't he essentially shut out Mike Thomas too?

Yeah. Let him walk. Dude's garbage.

This forum thinks they can let Jones walk and get similar talent for a cheaper price. Just isn't going to happen. similar or even worse DBs get good contracts. So we will have to settle for far worse if we want to go cheap in the secondary.

I guess this place is itching for another 2013 defense.

MCMetal69

Reaction score
Jones over Cooper....................Top WR's are far easier to find/replace and this team is being starved of top end talent on the defensive side of the ball.......

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I already provided you a comparison. Their top 5 DB had similar numbers.

The gap between Hayward and Jones isn't as wide as you think. Either way, Jones is not doing enough negative for you or anyone to be campaigning for him to walk or to think $12 to 15 million is unreasonable. He's worth that money because getting a corner than locks down his man as much as Jones does is not easy to come by.

Again, if you're worried about that cap hit, you look to WR which is far easier to replace. We have enough money already on the offensive side of the ball. This is why crying about Lawrence and Jones contracts is silly.

You keep saying he “locks down” his man.

He wasn’t.

If what Byron Jones was doing was “locking down,” then what can describe what Stephon Gilmore was doing?

50.5% comp. pct. against
44.1 QB rating against
0 TDs

Tussinman

Reaction score
This forum thinks they can let Jones walk and get similar talent for a cheaper price. Just isn't going to happen. similar or even worse DBs get good contracts. So we will have to settle for far worse if we want to go cheap in the secondary.

Whats funny is those people that want him to walk will be the same ones *****ing when the pass defense rankings drop 5 to 7 spots once he leaves (cowboys zone: "what ? losing the best corner they've had in over a decade had negative consequences ? how could this happen ?" :rolleyes:)

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

The difference is those CBs you’re comparing Jones to have a demonstrated history of getting turnovers.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
You keep saying he “locks down” his man.

He wasn’t.

If what Byron Jones was doing was “locking down,” the what can describe what Stephon Gilmore was doing?

50.5% comp. pct. against
44.1 QB rating against
0 TDs

LOL so we have a 44% from a guy who is playing at an unbelievably high level under Belichick, and Jones who has 53% when only giving up 30 catches and only having a QB target him a little over 50 times?

How about the fact that Jones wasn't targeted all that often? LOL

mattjames2010

Reaction score
The difference is those CBs you’re comparing Jones to have a demonstrated history of getting turnovers.

Most of these DBs get MAYBE 2-3 INTs a year. The outcome of a season is hardly defined by this.

And I didn't just compare him to top 5 DBs in the league. I'm also comparing him to DBs WORSE than him - they also get in the range of 12-15 million. Did you see what Trumaine Johnson got?

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
LOL so we have a 44% from a guy who is playing at an unbelievably high level under Belichick, and Jones who has 53% when only giving up 30 catches and only having a QB target him a little over 50 times?

How about the fact that Jones wasn't targeted all that often? LOL

Of course you dismiss the fact teams were targeting a layup in Awuzie (97 targets) opposite of Jones, or the fact QBs had a rating of just 44.1 vs. Gilmore compared to 87.7 against Byron. And despite the fact Jones was targeted 64 times to Gilmore’s 101 targets, Jones still gave up 3 TDs (Gilmore gave up 0).

And on top of all that, Gilmore STILL tallied 6 INTs to Jones’ 0.

Yeah, total apples-to-apples.

Jones isn’t trash, but definitely is not the “lock down” corner you’re claiming him to be.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Most of these DBs get MAYBE 2-3 INTs a year. The outcome of a season is hardly defined by this.

And I didn't just compare him to top 5 DBs in the league. I'm also comparing him to DBs WORSE than him - they also get in the range of 12-15 million. Did you see what Trumaine Johnson got?

You can’t just look at these contracts in a vacuum without context.

Trumaine Johnson signed a lucrative 5-year deal with the Jets back in 2018. He’s in the 3rd year of that deal and like most contracts the annual salary and/or cap hit has spiked.

Look, I get your underlying point that $12-15M for a good CB is not crazy. I would agree that it’s just part of the market.

I simply disagree with your take that Jones is a “lock down” corner.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
On Byron Jones-

"He's a starting caliber NFL corner. He's a really good player. We have to figure out his financial value, and if it fits for us."

Heard that on BTB podcast this morning.

My translation: we aren't paying Jones what the market demands. Say goodbye to Byron. If I go by this quote the temperature on offering Jones a market value contract seems pretty frigid. Up until I watched all of our other CBs flounder this season I was fine with letting him walk. Obviously I have reservations now. That said if I am blaming scheme and technique on the majority of what we saw this past season then hopefully we can get the full potential of Jordan Lewis, Cheeto and Brown under our new staff. I think we will be ok regardless, and if I had to choose I think my preference is to put that money on the Dline anyways. Mods if this has already been covered please delete.

Anyone got a line of Nolan/McCarthy preferences on CBs?

We started to go bigger/longer/stronger/cheaper with Richard. I hope we continue down that path. Can't pay everyone.

Reactions: CWR

Blue64

Reaction score
I like that quote and think it should be the standard answer for all contract negotiation questions. It's a lot better than quoting player X contract as a starting point:(
Jones is not in the same category as a player like Ramsey, who is disruptive by his play and can force an interception.
The only reason we are even discussing Jones’ potential worth is because of how opposing QBs concentrated often on the other side, giving the impression that he’s a shut down corner.
Problem is aside from a few decent plays during this past season, I can remember more often the plays were he was out of position or burned far more often than the good.
I say good riddance and look for some help in the draft and work with the remaining players.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Tag him? Sign the other guys. Maybe? Get a pick for him. We seem to suck at that.
The priority is Dak then Amari. The "tag" will likely be used on one of them. Then what? Byron will get a better offer than the Cowboys can give him. I see you like to argue and you may be right. I'm just sharing what I see as the more likely scenario. I do agree with you... "we seem to suck at that".

1LoyalCowboyFan

Reaction score
On Byron Jones-

"He's a starting caliber NFL corner. He's a really good player. We have to figure out his financial value, and if it fits for us."

Heard that on BTB podcast this morning.

My translation: we aren't paying Jones what the market demands. Say goodbye to Byron. If I go by this quote the temperature on offering Jones a market value contract seems pretty frigid. Up until I watched all of our other CBs flounder this season I was fine with letting him walk. Obviously I have reservations now. That said if I am blaming scheme and technique on the majority of what we saw this past season then hopefully we can get the full potential of Jordan Lewis, Cheeto and Brown under our new staff. I think we will be ok regardless, and if I had to choose I think my preference is to put that money on the Dline anyways. Mods if this has already been covered please delete.

Agree to all of that. Me and you both, bud.

Reactions: CWR

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I see that most fans are wanting to draft all defense in the first few rounds, but the offense was a big problem when it came to scoring against the better defenses that they faced. There was several games that the defense held the opposing offense to a reasonable amount of scoring, but the Dallas offense could not score. The Pats game is a good example along with others. The offense can not score when it needs to. I agree that the defense needs some help, but the offense came up short in a lot of games. The offensive stats looked great, but the offense just didn’t pass the smell test at all. Matter of fact, it was embarrassing to say the least.
Agree to disagree. The defensive line specifically was the weakest link. Our offense started off at the 10 yard line or worse while our opponents started at the 20 or better. Field position is everything. The defense was not consistant or reliable against good or bad teams.