Recap: Will McClay Recap on 105.3 The Fan

bsbellomy

Reaction score
Sounds as if complete opposite of Garrett, which we all already knew.
Garrett thinks he was so smart he could actually fit that square peg into the round hole.
MM is wise enough to shape his hole to the players shape.

Again, there were a ton of problems that came with Jason Garrett but we had some really good drafts in his time here.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
They screwed this team. Marinelli and Garrett flat out screwed this team.
As good as this roster is today, how much better could it look with TJ Watt as our starting RDE and Juan Thornhill at safety?

Here's the key quote, and a clear indictment over the rigid, close-mindedness of the past regime.
"McClay: When you have a coach that says let's get good football players, if they can't make the scheme work then it's not a very good scheme
."

Exactly. :thumbup:

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I've read that he gave the current Eagles left tackle Dillard all he could handle when they matched up. I'm going to see if I can find any tape of that.
That would be awesome if you can. I love watching Anae play... I love how he plays with passion and how physical he is.

I had been saying Dallas needed to move up to take him. When they finally drafted him (without a trade BTW) I jumped and nearly hit my head on my ceiling fan.

I am thrilled with that pick. Really, the whole draft.

Qcard

Reaction score
Both can be correct.

Under Garrett, and it was similar with Parcells, they drafted to positional prototypes in terms of height/weight/speed/scheme fit. This reduced the Cowboys overall draft board to around 120-150 prospects that would be considered to be drafted in any given cycle. For example, big NT prospects likely were not on the draft list under Garrett due to them playing a 4-3 under system that relied more on smaller, quicker tackles than a player who is a two gapper. Kris Richard didn't want cornerbacks who were shorter than 6 feet tall, and had less than 32" arms. This reduced the number of corners that were on their board. With this in mind, it's possible to take the best player available as the draft approach, with the qualifier being the BPA that is actually on the draft board.

McCarthy clearly is being driven less by positional/schematic prototypes, and more by pure talent. As a result, the draft pool becomes larger. BPA is still accurate, but it encompasses a wider array of players.
Garrett and Parcells similar drafting philosophy....I doubt Parcells ever had Co-ordinator like Marinelli whose influence reshaped Cowboys Dline draft philosophy.

Parcells and Jerry took Ware over Spears in the 1st Rd, when Parcells had wanted Spears first because of his 3-4 Dlineman preference but Jerry picked Ware 1st, the better Dlineman with Versatility. Luckily Spears fell....

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That would be awesome if you can. I love watching Anae play... I love how he plays with passion and how physical he is.

I had been saying Dallas needed to move up to take him. When they finally drafted him (without a trade BTW) I jumped and nearly hit my head on my ceiling fan.

I am thrilled with that pick. Really, the whole draft.
I like to stay up on Saturday nights and watch those late night games. I do it each Saturday. Utah is on every 3 or 4 weeks and easily remember seeing Anae and thought he would be a starter in the NFL. He dominated and was making impact plays consistently. I'm so happy the Cowboys got him and he was an absolute steal in the 5th round. There is no way he should have lasted into the 3rd round. Kiper had him at 89 BTW.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I like to stay up on Saturday nights and watch those late night games. I do it each Saturday. Utah is on every 3 or 4 weeks and easily remember seeing Anae and thought he would be a starter in the NFL. He dominated and was making impact plays consistently. I'm so happy the Cowboys got him and he was an absolute steal in the 5th round. There is no way he should have lasted into the 3rd round. Kiper had him at 89 BTW.

Why do you think he dropped? Was it all the 40 time?

BHendri5

Reaction score
So, you are saying Jerry insisted on the 2 Marinelli pet cats of Trystan Hill and Taco Charlton? Just want to see your take on what I consider 2 wasted high picks.

Jerry was the driving force he made all decisions, He would listen especially to another old geezer like Marinelli. People often said Marinelli would make a big fuss about players he wanted and he always got those players. Trystan and Taco got drafted but because they rubbed Marinelli the wrong way in practices that he wouldn’t give them a chance and it made Taco mad that he tuned them out but Trystan has a chance to pan out now that Marinelli and the rest of Jerry’s hand picked defensive staff are gone

BHendri5

Reaction score
As if Jerry cared about Taco vs T.J.Watt or Hill vs Thornhill.

Marinelli convinced them to draft Taco and Hill. Watt and Thornhill would have been more marketable which means if Jerry was really making the decision all by himself, then the marketable players get picked.

I never said Jerry didn’t listen! He was the driving force and it’s been revealed that he was making the football decisions, he can do that and still appease Marinelli which he did

BHendri5

Reaction score
So you're saying McClay was lying about it being the difference between the previous staff vs McCarthy?

McClay said: this was a unique situation. We've been with that staff for 10 years and know their likes/dislikes. Then we get a new staff and entertain what they wanted and what they're looking for. One thing that had me jumping up and down was when McCarthy said "players over scheme." That was a unique thing to hear and opened the door for a lot of things.
McClay made it clear it was the difference between the Garrett staff and McCarthy. It never changed through 10 years with the previous staff, but suddenly now with McCarthy we get a totally different draft result.

Mere coincidence? I don't think so. McClay described Garrett's style to a T! That's why he was so surprised when McCarthy told them BPA People over scheme!

You’re so set on blaming Garrett, I told you that Jerry has said as well as his son Stephen has set they drafted to the scheme, Jerry’s words were we run a certain scheme I saw the interview. He was asked if the drafting would change, at that time he was saying no basically it was during the time we were waiting to see what was going to happen with Garrett before they hired McCarthy. So obviously during the interview Jerry gave McCarthy what he wanted, which he never gave Garrett

BHendri5

Reaction score
Where did you hear this? I follow the Cowboys a lot and did not see this. Just curious where you heard it.

Bill Jones was the guy asking Jerry. I have all the different Cowboys reports that come on Sunday mornings and Sunday nights, Wednesday s it was right after the last game it was one of the last shows for the season.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Player over system/scheme is the biggest takeaway here.
. Said he jumped for joy when he heard this......

He obviously was hamstrung by the previous coaching regime who we knew were ignorant and rigid

We drafted well under that previous regime. And drafted poorly under Wade, who shared MM’s philosophy. It’s not a matter of “player over scheme.” You need good players, period.

Then again, McClay did give us the profile of what we’re looking for in CBs and why the ones we drafted are scheme fits. So scheme obviously still enters into things somewhere.

BHendri5

Reaction score
As much as I disliked the staff that Jerry saddled Garrett with, you have to at some point the bottom line the blame is on the players. The coaches can not play the game for them. I have said from the jump that Garrett was and is a very good HC, he rebuilt the team in the image of the 90s, but these players didn’t and until they show it they do not have the mettle of those 90s team. Garrett couldn’t get past the culture that Jerry established when Jimmy left. It became a country club atmosphere. I love Jerry but I will not excuse him not Garrett for their mistakes, yes Garrett is not blameless he had 9yrs to demand that Jerry step back and let him coach the way he wanted. I am just saying stop putting all the blame on him. I blame the whole organization,, but 90% I put on the players.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
You’re so set on blaming Garrett, I told you that Jerry has said as well as his son Stephen has set they drafted to the scheme, Jerry’s words were we run a certain scheme I saw the interview. He was asked if the drafting would change, at that time he was saying no basically it was during the time we were waiting to see what was going to happen with Garrett before they hired McCarthy. So obviously during the interview Jerry gave McCarthy what he wanted, which he never gave Garrett

Of course they drafted scheme, they were drafting for Garrett. That's what Garrett wanted. Now they're drafting BPA because they're drafting for McCarthy, because that's what McCarthy wants.
You can't erase the part Garrett played in those 10 years of drafting no matter how hard you try.
Garrett drafted scheme 1st, McCarthy drafts BPA 1st.
McClay's explanation was perfectly clear, it wasn't difficult to understand. You're just trying to make it fit your own narrative.

Last edited:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Great post, JBell. Congrats to Will McClay for his logical thinking.

He's really done a magnificent job in working this draft.

No doubt but what he's a valuable resource.

Last edited:

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Yeah, I wanted them to move up to the top of the 4th round when he made it out of the third. I liked him a good bit more than The Boise State DE that was sliding.

Anae goes so hard on every snap. He sure plays a lot more athletic than he tested at the combine.

I’ll take those types 10 out of 10 times over the type that tested well but didn’t look like it when they played.

I think he makes the team and contributes as a rookie. JMO.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score

Well if I was Jerry and Stephen I wouldn't give Garrett squat either. Garrett just doesn't know enough football to determine who is a talented player from any other player. Jerry and Stephen knew that. Basically they had to stand up to the coach in training all these years because he was clueless at his job.