Will new helmet rule ruin the game?

NorthoftheRedRiver

Reaction score
Since the officials (many of them new) don't seem to understand the rule or how to call it, it should make for some infuriating games.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
They never said they had to run vertical. Just lead with your shoulder. They are trying to make a distinction between leading with your head and leading with your shoulders. The problem is, in this fast paced game that might be impossible to determine.
Thanks for making my point. How do you lead with your shoulder and not have your head out in front?

Flamma

Reaction score

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Thanks for making my point. How do you lead with your shoulder and not have your head out in front?
Its difficult to explain but that’s how we were taught back in the day. Your head wasn’t part of the initial contact. Leading with your shoulder involved tackling with your arms and hands.

In football today you often see defenders try to take the ball carrier down with a collision rather than attempting to use their hands or grabbing their legs.

It was more tackle football than collision back then. A tough hit was leading with your shoulder knocking the guy backwards. We had more shoulder separations , broken collar bones and broken arms back then but little or no concussions which didn’t become more common until the 70’s.

We also didn’t have as many forced turnovers from contact which is why IMO coaches begin implementing using the helmet and vicious contact.

Flamma

Reaction score
Its difficult to explain but that’s how we were taught back in the day. Your head wasn’t part of the initial contact. Leading with your shoulder involved tackling with your arms and hands.

In football today you often see defenders try to take the ball carrier down with a collision rather than attempting to use their hands or grabbing their legs.

It was more tackle football than collision back then. A tough hit was leading with your shoulder knocking the guy backwards. We had more shoulder separations , broken collar bones and broken arms back then but little or no concussions which didn’t become more common until the 70’s.

We also didn’t have as many forced turnovers from contact which is why IMO coaches begin implementing using the helmet and vicious contact.

I don't think anyone has a problem with players leading with their shoulders. I think people are more worried about how they will enforce this rule.

Praxit

Reaction score
...I think that was my point starting the thread. Its just so close of a call, that it will lead to bad calls and games given away.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score

Tackling involves an entirely different technique than running with the ball. "See what you hit" is all part of the break down mechanics of tracking and taking down a ball carrier. The focus on ball carriers lowering their heads, particularly in short yardage and goal line situations, is going to be problematic.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score

Flamma

Reaction score
Good stuff, but I have no confidence in the officials getting it right in real time.

There is no question. They are not going to. It's all great in theory until they put it to the test.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Tackling involves an entirely different technique than running with the ball. "See what you hit" is all part of the break down mechanics of tracking and taking down a ball carrier. The focus on ball carriers lowering their heads, particularly in short yardage and goal line situations, is going to be problematic.
Could be. I can see that.

I’m sure like with any new rule implementation there will be some judgemental questionable calls and the league may have to tweak or reinterpret the verbage to better translate to the officials . There’s going to be a learning curve all around from coaching and execution to officiating.

Runners back in the day used stiff arm more than lowering their head and I’d think this could help these runners move away from lowering their head. You simply run straight upward or lower your shoulder instead of the head.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
The refs will ruin the game by making this a subjective, judgement call. Sort of like pass interference. You can have huge plays taken away on both sides of the ball by this rule.

But I get it. After all the lawsuits that came down, you knew the league was going to start doing this over time. Anyways, you are supposed to tackle and lead with your helmet anyways. I know it gets on the highlight reels and the oooh ahhh factor but its dangerous for both parties. The defender and the offensive player. I am glad they are wanting to take it out but giving the refs even more subjective calls to determine outcomes will suck.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Without implementing these stricter rules associated with head contact their only other option would be abolishing the hard helmet which I believe would be a last resort.

jsb357

Reaction score
ON the NFL site in the running back video video they posted aa EZ run as an example of an illegal hit.

EZ is a target once again.

Big_D

Reaction score
This is all new but the second it starts costing games on a regular basis and that carries over into the postseason. It will be time to move on..

aria

Reaction score
It’s going to be another bs subjective penalty that is called differently by different officiating crews and at least a few teams, if not more, will lose games because of it.