Will the Cowboys actually draft a high safety, which one?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
We are all aware how the Cowboy Front Office for years has undervalued the safety position. Outside of JJ Wilcox who was taken in the 3rd rd several years ago, all they have used has been day 3 or undrafted fa talent. If they truly want to rebuild their defense, they are going to prioritize the need.

When we look at what is needed at the safety position, the position itself is kind of like linebacker. We also need to factor in what kind of safeties are needed for Nolan's defensive scheme, if he continues to be our dc:

-Just like linebacker, instincts rules over athleticism. A player needs to be able to process the mental info fast enough to be able to react to the football quickly enough. You hear the saying, he is always around the football. Those type of players possess elite instincts at the position. Ball skills are also paramount. Means nothing if you get to a spot quickly, but cannot finish.

-A safety is either the extra man in the box or the last line of defense, they must be high level tacklers. We have seen for years what happens with missed tackles, big plays given up.

-Mike Nolan's Defense doesn't use safeties in a traditional way. Both protect their halves, read their side of the field and play more like zone corners. Short area quickness is required, along with high level instincts.

Here are the top 5 safeties I have been seeing on several draft sites, no particular order:

Holland Oregon
Moehrig TCU
Cisco Syracuse
Ford Pittsburgh
LeCounte III Georgia

Figure a good time to pull the trigger would been in that day 2 range anywhere from the 2 to the comp pick in the 3rd rd.

Who is the ideal safety to draft for this team? My favorite is Ford from Pittsburgh, I've have read multi[le times he is a safety that is always around the football, terrific quickness and considered a strong tackler.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Jevon Holland,Oregon

also like Mike Brown,Miami,Oh and Richie Grant,Ucf.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Cisco seems like a Cowboy special. He was considered a 1st rounder prospect before his injury. Probably a day 2 guy now

Landryhat73

Reaction score
Holland was one of Kipers top players on his big board before the start of the season. It’s weird how he has moved down in everyone’s rankings because he opted out when others have not. I can’t say he would be a good pick because the only thing I’ve seen is highlights.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Holland was one of Kipers top players on his big board before the start of the season. It’s weird how he has moved down in everyone’s rankings because he opted out when others have not. I can’t say he would be a good pick because the only thing I’ve seen is highlights.
He's also a bit of an unknown. He's not a pure Safety, more of a NIckel guy.

Similar to Budda Baker, in position not necessarily impact.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Safeties I like are:

TCU's Trevon Moehrig
Miami's Bubba Bolden
Florida State's Hasim Nasirildeen

Do not like Paris Ford, Andre Cisco, or Richard LeCounte. LeCounte is not horrible but is nothing special IMO.

I can't get a good read on Jevon Holland or Caden Sterns.

The DUDE is 2022 Safety Kyle Hamilton from Notre Dame.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
PFF grades for guys we are discussing:

LeCounte (ranked 60th) 70.7 DEF (58.2 Run, 76.1 Coverage)
Paris Ford (82nd) 68.1 DEF (67.5 Run, 68.1 Coverage)
T. Moehrig (83rd) 68 DEF (57.7 Run, 70.5 Coverage)
C. Sterns (92nd) 67.1 DEF (70.3 Run, 65.3 Coverage)
B. Bolden (181st yikes) 58.8 DEF (57.2 Run, 60.9 Coverage)

No grades for Nasirildeen yet and Cisco's grades aren't on there.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Safeties I like are:

TCU's Trevon Moehrig
Miami's Bubba Bolden

Do not like Paris Ford, Andre Cisco, or Richard LeCounte. LeCounte is not horrible but is nothing special IMO.

Bolden played horrible against va tech. First time I ever played attention to him. Hell nah!

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
If we get Moehirg at top of 2nd that would be fantastic! Just don’t know if he lasts that long.

He had some nice 1 on 1 tackles on Saturday. Don’t want to use him as a PR though. He muffed his only return filling in for TCUs regular PR.

Playing under Gary Patterson is about as complicated as college coverages get. If he can excel in Patterson’s system he’ll be fine at the NFL level in coverage.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Safeties I like are:

TCU's Trevon Moehrig
Miami's Bubba Bolden

Nasiriildeen from Draft Network

His natural athletic profile enables him to make plays on the ball despite not necessarily having the best ball skills. Can be tardy locating the football in the air and making plays on it, especially with his back to the quarterback.

I want a safety who has elite instincts, ball skills and is considered a strong tackler. I don't think Nas is a good fit, especially in Nolan's scheme.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Nasiriildeen from Draft Network

His natural athletic profile enables him to make plays on the ball despite not necessarily having the best ball skills. Can be tardy locating the football in the air and making plays on it, especially with his back to the quarterback.

I want a safety who has elite instincts, ball skills and is considered a strong tackler. I don't think Nas is a good fit, especially in Nolan's scheme.
Passing up on good prospects because of......Mike nolan smh

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I would be a lot more interested in safeties if I knew what the LB corps was going to be next year.

I don't like Cisco as a first-round prospect, but I really like him as a third-round prospect. Otherwise, I don't think there's anything special to this class at all.

John813

Reaction score
Reed Blankenship come on down.

Athletic small-school safety with a non stop motor?
By god we are done scouting.

cnuball21

Reaction score
We are all aware how the Cowboy Front Office for years has undervalued the safety position. Outside of JJ Wilcox who was taken in the 3rd rd several years ago, all they have used has been day 3 or undrafted fa talent. If they truly want to rebuild their defense, they are going to prioritize the need.

When we look at what is needed at the safety position, the position itself is kind of like linebacker. We also need to factor in what kind of safeties are needed for Nolan's defensive scheme, if he continues to be our dc:

-Just like linebacker, instincts rules over athleticism. A player needs to be able to process the mental info fast enough to be able to react to the football quickly enough. You hear the saying, he is always around the football. Those type of players possess elite instincts at the position. Ball skills are also paramount. Means nothing if you get to a spot quickly, but cannot finish.

-A safety is either the extra man in the box or the last line of defense, they must be high level tacklers. We have seen for years what happens with missed tackles, big plays given up.

-Mike Nolan's Defense doesn't use safeties in a traditional way. Both protect their halves, read their side of the field and play more like zone corners. Short area quickness is required, along with high level instincts.

Here are the top 5 safeties I have been seeing on several draft sites, no particular order:

Holland Oregon
Moehrig TCU
Cisco Syracuse
Ford Pittsburgh
LeCounte III Georgia

Figure a good time to pull the trigger would been in that day 2 range anywhere from the 2 to the comp pick in the 3rd rd.

Who is the ideal safety to draft for this team? My favorite is Ford from Pittsburgh, I've have read multi[le times he is a safety that is always around the football, terrific quickness and considered a strong tackler.

It's a great year to draft a S. I don't see any sure fire 1st rounders, but a lot of good options in the 2nd/3rd that would be upgrades over what we have. My early favorites are Moehrig and Holland but I haven't looked at a lot of guys yet.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
It's a great year to draft a S. I don't see any sure fire 1st rounders, but a lot of good options in the 2nd/3rd that would be upgrades over what we have. My early favorites are Moehrig and Holland but I haven't looked at a lot of guys yet.
Facts. You can get a quality cb or safety in round 2 this year. Safety class this year kuch better than last year