CFZ Will the third time to have a HC on last yr of a contract be different?

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bye Mike
The fraud
you should have been sent packing with your buddy Nolan.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Is a divisional round playoff loss worse than a Super Bowl loss?! If I’m not winning the SB then I have zero interest in being in one.
Wow....just wow! But I honestly think that is the attitude of this organization, which is why they can't ever BUILD anything. Jerry was talking Super Bowl during the 5-11 years. You can't make this stuff up. Do you think it is our birthright to WIN a Super Bowl???????????

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Garrett could last as many years and he did then Big Mike can stay too

Only way he gets fired is if he goes 2-15, drops a big poo on the star and sings I'm every woman at the post game pressers
Mike McCarthy singing at a press conference….now there’s some entertainment.

stiletto

Reaction score
I still dont belive Jerry is going to roll the dice like this. What if Lance sucks and the QB we draft in the top 5 is a bust? Then what? Draft another QB and another and another, ect....

Between Aikman and Romo, the Cowboys had 17 different starting QBs.

There are teams like the Jets, Browns, Titans, and others than have been searching for years for a franchise QB and have repeatedly struck out.

I am not saying that we should pay Dak $60 a year, but to act like it might not take a while to find another franchise QB is not being realistic. It could take a while, a long while, before we find another franchise QB. Is Jerry willing to suffer through half a dozen seasons of 6-8 wins while searching for the next guy and even then you still might not hit on one? I guess we shall see.
It's a risk but I think they are about ready to rip the band-aid off. Dak has had almost a decade to get over the hump and I think they believe Dak is no longer worth the money choking in the playoffs the way he has. Why pay a guy like that over $50 million? Better off trying to find a new guy and build more pieces on the team (even though they seem to not want to do that, which is weird obviously).

Might get to the same general place anyway with a different QB. "Not beating good teams and losing in the playoffs". Now there is a chance that we'll become a perennial loser again but I almost think it is more embarrassing to lose like they did against Green Bay. It's time to look for the next guy and a few eggs are going to have to be broken in that time.

The QB revival has worked out decently for more teams lately, no certain reason to automatically assume we are going back to post 2000 QB play.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Mike McCarthy will be the third Cowboys head coach in the last 14 years to enter a season on the final year of his contract. In the two previous times it happened, the HC was either fired in mid-season or just not renewed again. Also, the two previous times this happened, the Cowboys failed to make the playoffs.

Reviewing the two previous examples:
  • 2010 Season with Wade Phillips. Much like McCarthy this year, going into the 2010 season, Wade Phillips had seen his 2009 team get embarrassed by the Vikings in divisional round game 34-3. In 2007 under Wade the #1 seed Cowboys lost in divisional round to the giants 21-17. The Cowboys started the 2010 season 1-5 with Tony Romo before he broke his collarbone in October. Then the team just quit on Phillips and Jerry fired him after 1-7 start. Of course we did not make the playoffs. The age of Garrett followed.

• 2019 Season with Jason Garrett. This was the final season with Jason Garrett and in his near decade long tenure with Dallas, we only made the playoffs 3 times. In the previous season with Garrett in 2018, the team did win the NFC east, won a WC game vs the seahawks but got manhandled by the rams 30-22 when the rams rushed for over 250 yards. Garrett was allowed to finish his last year of his contract in 2019, but the team went 9-7 and did not qualify for the playoffs. Garrett was just allowed to walk at season’s end (thankfully, lol) As a side note, the man Jerry said would be scooped up in a moment’s notice as a HC has never been hired again as a HC…at any level.
So as we head into 2024, Big Mac is hanging over a cliff with a roster on paper that appears to be less talented than last year’s squad. And he has a division winner’s first place schedule this year. If this team has a rough start, this could quickly turn into another 2010 season with a firing. I hope not.

And I sincerely believe - this is a bad way to handle a head coach. IMO it would have been better to fire McCarthy after last January's humiliating playoff loss to GB. It was the worst playoff loss in Cowboys history. It is extremely hard to just block that mental memory out and move on. This team better have a roaringly good start or the seat gets scorching for Mac’s behind.
i'm pretty sure you left out the one that would be a narrative buster for your post, Jason Garrett was lame duck coach in 2014? i'm pretty sure he was on the verge of probably being let go here than had a division winning playoff qualifying year that saved his job. most likely had it not been for the 3-5 2018 turn around, he was going to be fired in 2018, him being here one more season in 19 has nothing to do with being a lame duck coach, he was already out of his 9 lives here and unless he won that game 16 and go in the payoffs he was gone. he failed and gone..

this is a completely different atmosphere big mike has had 3 straights 12-win seasons for 36 wins, 2 division titles, 3 straight playoff appearances. ummm if what you're saying is true that he's being set up for failures and somehow at least get s WC playoff appearance, he will get new deal. Mike has far more rope and lives to find new life..

MR 8-8 and WP were far different situations. by the way my view of this is that this is not a big deal how is it any different than these "contract year players" everyone says beware they stepped up to get new deal, yet the coaches are different?

I say Nay it is not! motivation to step up or lose your job, can be good thing for focus. as IT WAS for 2014 JG!

"Mike McCarthy has one season left on his contract. Twice Jerry Jones had Jason Garrett coach into the final year of his deal (2014, 2019). The Cowboys went 12-4 in '14; 8-8 in '19. Not sure McCarthy's contract status will play a part in whatever decision Jones might make."

i feel like you conveniently left this out as it makes an argument for the other side of this debate...

blueblood70

Reaction score
I think there are some significant differences between previous lame duck year coaches.

1) 12 12 12 - Back to back to back 12 win seasons speaks of a sturdier foundation on which to build.

2) The best offense in the league. In '09 heading into '10 and in '18 heading into '19 the Cowboys had a decent defense and kind of an okay offense. This offense has been the highest scoring in the league in two of the last three seasons and basically are a Dak thumb injury in 2022 from a threepeat in that department. This offense can win a track meet. I'm not sure those offenses could.

3) Maybe the best pass rusher in the league paired with maybe the best cornerback duo in the league. If this defense can figure out how to even slow down the run so we can force teams to pass it's gonna allow the offense to boat race some people.

4) Kellen Moore and Jason Garrett are gone.. those dudes' paint by numbers adaptation of Air Coryell was what led to our ultimate downfalls. McCarthy may not be Bill Walsh but he's a lot better game day play caller than those two.

Bottom line is I feel a lot better about this team heading into camp than I did either of those.
i agree with you there's a major difference between JGs twice being challenged for Lame duck pout up or shut up scenarios and mike McCarthy has done far more to earn a new deal.

any conveniently left out 2014.lol which Jerrys watched first hand JG turned it around and had soem very solid seasons after 2014 when his QBs were healthy, IMOP he finally ran out of rope that MMstill has plenty of slack.

."Mike McCarthy has one season left on his contract. Twice Jerry Jones had Jason Garrett coach into the final year of his deal (2014, 2019). The Cowboys went 12-4 in '14; 8-8 in '19. Not sure McCarthy's contract status will play a part in whatever decision Jones might make."

Whyjerry

Reaction score
McCarthy has done a good job in Dallas. There have been some boneheaded moments but in all he has been good. Team has played hard. Injuries have been covered up well. Good adjustments from time to time. Can’t blame him for crappy ownership and a culture of no accountability.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
i'm pretty sure you left out the one that would be a narrative buster for your post, Jason Garrett was lame duck coach in 2014? i'm pretty sure he was on the verge of probably being let go here than had a division winning playoff qualifying year that saved his job. most likely had it not been for the 3-5 2018 turn around, he was going to be fired in 2018, him being here one more season in 19 has nothing to do with being a lame duck coach, he was already out of his 9 lives here and unless he won that game 16 and go in the payoffs he was gone. he failed and gone..

this is a completely different atmosphere big mike has had 3 straights 12-win seasons for 36 wins, 2 division titles, 3 straight playoff appearances. ummm if what you're saying is true that he's being set up for failures and somehow at least get s WC playoff appearance, he will get new deal. Mike has far more rope and lives to find new life..

MR 8-8 and WP were far different situations. by the way my view of this is that this is not a big deal how is it any different than these "contract year players" everyone says beware they stepped up to get new deal, yet the coaches are different?

I say Nay it is not! motivation to step up or lose your job, can be good thing for focus. as IT WAS for 2014 JG!

"Mike McCarthy has one season left on his contract. Twice Jerry Jones had Jason Garrett coach into the final year of his deal (2014, 2019). The Cowboys went 12-4 in '14; 8-8 in '19. Not sure McCarthy's contract status will play a part in whatever decision Jones might make."

i feel like you conveniently left this out as it makes an argument for the other side of this debate...
Blue that’s a good point about Garrett in 2014. I didn't leave it out “conveniently“, I just missed it. So I stand corrected on that. Now the Cowboys are 1 out of 3 chances to use the last year of a coach’s contract as a positive motivation. If Big Mac doesn’t have a good year in 2024, that strategy will have worked 25% of the time. Guess we will see.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Blue that’s a good point about Garrett in 2014. I didn't leave it out “conveniently“, I just missed it. So I stand corrected on that. Now the Cowboys are 1 out of 3 chances to use the last year of a coach’s contract as a positive motivation. If Big Mac doesn’t have a good year in 2024, that strategy will have worked 25% of the time. Guess we will see.
I get what you're saying but again my other point was JG was pretty close to staying in 19, IF he won that last game and made it in.

it's not as bad as you are making out to be, let them earn it isn't a bad way to handle it IMHO They do it with payers who have career years during contract years, i don't see the difference. such a small sample size to be using it VS where all the info that IF rewarded new deal that very year would have changed the outcome in some way, that's laughable given the 4 years prior noting changed while having many years to take the next step.
it's a catch 22, no real data to support either side. this is banter at best.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Mike McCarthy will be the third Cowboys head coach in the last 14 years to enter a season on the final year of his contract. In the two previous times it happened, the HC was either fired in mid-season or just not renewed again. Also, the two previous times this happened, the Cowboys failed to make the playoffs.

• 2010 Season with Wade Phillips. Much like McCarthy this year, going into the 2010 season, Wade Phillips had seen his 2009 team get embarrassed by the Vikings in divisional round game 34-3. In 2007 under Wade the #1 seed Cowboys lost in divisional round to the giants 21-17. The Cowboys started the 2010 season 1-5 with Tony Romo before he broke his collarbone in October. Then the team just quit on Phillips and Jerry fired him after 1-7 start. Of course we did not make the playoffs. The age of Garrett followed.

• 2019 Season with Jason Garrett. This was the final season with Jason Garrett and in his near decade long tenure with Dallas, we only made the playoffs 3 times. In the previous season with Garrett in 2018, the team did win the NFC east, won a WC game vs the seahawks but got manhandled by the rams 30-22 when the rams rushed for over 250 yards. Garrett was allowed to finish his last year of his contract in 2019, but the team went 9-7 and did not qualify for the playoffs. Garrett was just allowed to walk at season’s end (thankfully, lol) As a side note, the man Jerry said would be scooped up in a moment’s notice as a HC has never been hired again as a HC…at any level.
So as we head into 2024, Big Mac is hanging over a cliff with a roster on paper that appears to be less talented than last year’s squad. And he has a division winner’s first place schedule this year. If this team has a rough start, this could quickly turn into another 2010 season with a firing. I hope not.

And I sincerely believe - this is a bad way to handle a head coach. IMO it would have been better to fire McCarthy after last January's humiliating playoff loss to GB. It was the worst playoff loss in Cowboys history. It is extremely hard to just block that mental memory out and move on. This team better have a roaringly good start or the seat gets scorching for Mac’s behind.
At this point - does it really matter????

blueblood70

Reaction score
At this point - does it really matter????
this is what I'm trying to tell bob, no way to know whether a coach is on year1 of a LTC or a last year of one, the results will vary, and in this case, how do we know if it will have made difference? i mean you can't play the same season twice in the exact scenario but change the contract to make a true comp.. SMH

I mean people are already claiming that we didn't get enough offseason help to change the results from last year, so we are expecting a drop off and its not over a contract,

and it might be worse now. Bob will say if MM had got new deal 2024 if it turns out bad would all of sudden be changed to something more positive outcome?! Not!?!.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
this is what I'm trying to tell bob, no way to know whether a coach is on year1 of a LTC or a last year of one, the results will vary, and in this case, how do we know if it will have made difference? i mean you can't play the same season twice in the exact scenario but change the contract to make a true comp.. SMH

I mean people are already claiming that we didn't get enough offseason help to change the results from last year, so we are expecting a drop off and its not over a contract,

and it might be worse now. Bob will say if MM had got new deal 2024 if it turns out bad would all of sudden be changed to something more positive outcome?! Not!?!.
Let me be clear….I‘m not saying I wish JJ would have extended Mac a new contract. I’ve been saying since late January if it was me as GM, I would have fired McCarthy for the bottom line of 1 playoff win in 4 years and the packer playoff loss was so bad, I don’t think a HC recovers from that. Obviously that’s not what JJ wanted.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I get what you're saying but again my other point was JG was pretty close to staying in 19, IF he won that last game and made it in.

it's not as bad as you are making out to be, let them earn it isn't a bad way to handle it IMHO They do it with payers who have career years during contract years, i don't see the difference. such a small sample size to be using it VS where all the info that IF rewarded new deal that very year would have changed the outcome in some way, that's laughable given the 4 years prior noting changed while having many years to take the next step.
it's a catch 22, no real data to support either side. this is banter at best.
Blue the Cowboys DID win their last game in 2019 (Garrett’s last)against Washington that year 47-16, to finish 8-8. The sad part is they were already eliminated from the playoffs going into that final game.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I've gotta give McCarthy credit for the wins collected in the regular season. I'm honestly skeptical if the next coach might equal what he did. Of course, that remains to be seen, but the setup that Jerry & Son provided didn't bring out the best in any team they've had in the last two decades. It's likely to be quite a task for the next coach to match what MM has done during his tenure. Overcoming our FO's limitations isn't very easily accomplished.

Last edited:

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I've gotta give McCarthy credit for the wins collected in the regular season. I'm honestly skeptical if the next coach might equal what he did. Of course, that remains to be seen, but the setup that Jerry & Son provided didn't bring out the best in any team they've had in the last two decades. It's likely to be quite a task for the next coach to match what MM has done during his tenure. Overcoming our FO's limitations isn't very easily accomplished.
Winning 36 games over a three year stretch is almost unheard of in the NFL.

Regardless of what anybody thinks of McCarthy, that is still impressive.

Chasing6

Reaction score

• 2019 Season with Jason Garrett. This was the final season with Jason Garrett and in his near decade long tenure with Dallas, we only made the playoffs 3 times. In the previous season with Garrett in 2018, the team did win the NFC east, won a WC game vs the seahawks but got manhandled by the rams 30-22 when the rams rushed for over 250 yards. Garrett was allowed to finish his last year of his contract in 2019, but the team went 8-8 and did not qualify for the playoffs. Garrett was just allowed to walk at season’s end (thankfully, lol) As a side note, the man Jerry said would be scooped up in a moment’s notice as a HC has never been hired again as a HC…at any level.

Will the 28th time be the charm?

I wonder how many former GM's have said, if I only had 1 more year.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Will the 28th time be the charm?

I wonder how many former GM's have said, if I only had 1 more year.
No other GM in professional sports has the kind of freedom to do whatever they want for as long as they want. In October of this year, Jerry will tie Al Davis as the oldest GM in NFL history.

Average age of an NFL GM (without Jerry in count): 46.5
Oldest GM in league besides Jerry: Trent Baalke, Jacksonville GM, age 60.
Average length of tenure of NFL GMs other than Jerry: 8 years

Jerry is like the guy at the craps table who never runs out of money. He just keeps rolling the dice hoping he gets lucky because he clearly doesn’t know how to build a championship roster in the cap era.

Chasing6

Reaction score
No other GM in professional sports has the kind of freedom to do whatever they want for as long as they want. In October of this year, Jerry will tie Al Davis as the oldest GM in NFL history.

Average age of an NFL GM (without Jerry in count): 46.5
Oldest GM in league besides Jerry: Trent Baalke, Jacksonville GM, age 60.
Average length of tenure of NFL GMs other than Jerry: 8 years

Jerry is like the guy at the craps table who never runs out of money. He just keeps rolling the dice hoping he gets lucky because he clearly doesn’t know how to build a championship roster in the cap era.
100%. The problem is Jethro already got lucky with Jimmy Johnson and it is not going to happen again. He will not hire and give someone the same autonomy because he clearly knows best.